Roadmap?

Take one of the most modern, fun and engaging board games created in recent years. Match it with cutting-edge technology. Add a ridiculously well-crafted art style and a ton of extra content. This is the recipe to one of the most thrilling, charming and captivating strategy games you will ever find!
MrJamesEMcBride
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Roadmap?

Post by MrJamesEMcBride »

What ever happened to the roadmap of future plans for HoN? Did I miss it somewhere?
Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Roadmap?

Post by Rosseau »

I'm just playing skirmishes and relaxing. Probably a mistake, but I got the game for $20 yesterday, which is exactly what it's worth right now. I think the devs have their hands full fixing bugs and adding small enhancements before they release any expansions. I hope they do well, though, as I'm enjoying it and would go for more.
MrJamesEMcBride

Post by MrJamesEMcBride »

Yes, the devs have done a GREAT job so far. This game looks great and plays great. I have a lot of hope for the future :)
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

In the Steam forums, the developers and Slitherine moderators said they were going to have a blog post ready a week after the game released, talking about the plans for adding cards, and explaining their reasoning for why they did what they did by excluding the cards for the initial release.

So far, no blog post, no reasoning about the cards, and no update as to when the cards will be added.

I'm sure the game is fun, but it's not complete to me until the cards are added. I'm waiting for that before I purchase it.
blond_knight_new
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by blond_knight_new »

[quote="FroBodine but it's not complete to me until the cards are added."][/quote]

Or the editor.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

everything comes to those who wait :wink:
Uncle_Joe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Uncle_Joe »

The roadmap has been posted on Steam. It's a bit slower than originally announced (it appears mostly due to unexpected issues taking up the early development time).
TopoSolitario
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TopoSolitario »

visualrob [desarrollador] Nov. 4th at 18:30
Roadmap for Heroes of Normandie!
Hi guys!

One month has passed since the launch of Heroes of Normandie, and we’d like to give you some feedback on the current state of the development and our plans for the future.

Since day 1 we received a lot of feedback on these forums. You pushed us to introduce features we didn’t originally think about - to name just a couple: we recently released the "difficulty levels” patch, to make things easier for new players; and we’re going to release a new "Hotseat mode”, which has been a very popular request on the Steam forum.
Moreover, thanks to the crash reports obtained by the incredible amount player activity (collectively you played more the 100k matches) we also fixed a lot of small issues, and we tried to align the rules of the video game to the rules of the board game even more.
We feel that this has greatly improved the game experience, even if it somehow delayed our original plans. Here’s a roadmap of what we plan to do for the foreseeable future. In order to give you an idea of the timeline we expect, I’m going to provide tentative release dates: keep in mind they are just an indication of what we think is reasonable to expect, but they’re not set in stone in any way.

Hotseat Patch (Next Week)

By next week we will release a new patch, that will contain a lot of improvements: we corrected some small bugs (for example: squashing infantry with your vehicles and tanks sometimes resulted in a game freeze), we improved the visual feedback and the UI in several sections (to mention just a couple: you can now abort an assault action, and the effect of the Perforating ability result is now shown explicitly instead of been automatically added to the dice roll). We perfected some rules to better align them to the board game (for example: LoS penalty is now NOT doubled for suppressive fire). There are really a lot of small improvements, that collectively make for a much better experience.

The more visible addition, though, is a whole new section: the HOTSEAT mode, in which you can play a game against a human opponent on the same PC. The games you can play are the same you can issue as challenges in the multiplayer section.

Multiplayer (November)

Hundreds of games have been played up to now in multiplayer. Most of them went smoothly, but we received a lot of feedback about problems that sometimes arise while playing online. Here’s the main list:

1. If the game expires, sometimes you're not awarded points
2. If you lose, you're not awarded points (this is by design, but we can show this more clearly)
3. When the game ends in a tie, it's not clear who will be awarded victory/points
4. Sometimes a player is not notified that he has won/lost, and the game just disappears.
5. Sometimes when a player resigns, the winner is not awarded his points
6. If your opponent refuses to make his move for days, It’s not possible right now to reclaim your game as won.

We're going to fix these points and add new features to improve the experience of online play. We'll tell you more about this and ask for your ideas when will start working on it.

Editor (End of November)

The editor is coming! You’ll be able to create, play and share your own scenarios. Many of you particularly enjoyed the Skirmish mode because it allowed to play fast games while having a great degree of freedom in choosing maps and armies. We designed the editor to be a sort of “Skirmish on Steroids”, allowing you to create a scenario as easily as you can start a game in skirmish today.

We think you’ll really like this new feature and we’re eager to see what you will be able to come up with.

Cards (End of December / Start of January)

The major complaint we had so far from the board game players is about the card system, which is absent in the video game. We promised that we will implement them, and we’re going to deliver this by the end of December / beginning of January. Cards are a huge feature, and they have a profound impact on the gameplay. This implies that lots of testing is needed.

New content (in parallel with all of this)

In parallel with all of this, we’re going to introduce new content in the form of new recruitment tiles, units and abilities. You’ll be able to use these new assets in the editor, skirmish and multiplayer.

We’re already working on the first additional content and we’ll be able to introduce it soon.

2016 - iOs, new rules and features

The beginning of 2016 will be very interesting for us. We have the iOs version of the game to ship, and we’re going to introduce some new abilities in order to make the game even more compliant to the board game rules (changing some details about indirect fire, like grenades and artillery spotter, plus some new game mechanics and abilities introduced by new units).

Shadows over Normandie? (???)

We have a lot of requests on the Steam forum asking for our plans about Shadows over Normandie. It's really too soon for us to write anything about this, since there is so much to do about Heroes, and nothing is decided yet. Anyway we feel we must give a brief response to this, so here it is:

For those who don’t already know it: Shadows over Normandie is the new board game by Devil Pig Games, based on the same “Heroes of” game system of HoN. We had the opportunity to test it and it confirmed the ideas we had when we previewed it: it’s great! It adds tons of new elements (like spells, and new rules, abilities, and units; multiple factions; three-players mutiplayer; rules for day and night), and it brings a completely different, darker, atmosphere to the game. We have lots of ideas about how to adapt these new features and tone to a videogame.

For all these reasons, we’d really like to do something special with it, and if we will port this to digital version, it will probably end up being a different title. But it’s really too soon to say anything reliable, so we will write about this again next year.

TL;DR

There’s really a lot going on. Our basic roadmap is: new patch with hotseat, fixing multiplayer, shipping the editor, implementing cards, implementing new abilities and content, and deploying on mobile. We’ll try to do all of this as soon as we can, while continuing to provide assistance and listening to your questions, opinions and suggestions.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

thanks
defard
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by defard »

While I am disappointed the IOS version won't be with us sooner, it's always great to get feedback.

As someone who flys pretty much every week I have introduced many people to Slitherine games on a multitude of flights and can't wait to do the same for this!
nostradunwhich
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by nostradunwhich »

Roadmap looks good. I cannot say I would not like it if it was faster, but I understand you have to work with the resource you have and sometimes tracking down bugs can be difficult.
Uncle_Joe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Uncle_Joe »

Yes, the roadmap is way behind schedule already lol. At this point, I'm just hoping some of this stuff gets released AT ALL. I mean it took a month for 1.12 which launched last week and doesn't seem to work (hotseat doesn't even function at this point from what I can see). And I haven't seen a word here or on the Steam forums even acknowledging that hotseat is broken let alone a possible fix date.

I'm still hoping this game can take off because it has such potential and there is apparently a huge market for it as the current Kickstarter campaign for a comprehensive rulebook and storage solution for the boardgame is demonstrating. It's already heavily into the stretch goals and it still has 2 weeks to go! So there is definitely money to be spent on this game system. I just think the PC game has to catch up to the board game in terms of mechanics and options in order to start drawing in some of that money...
nucleus
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by nucleus »

Here's the roadmap:

Limited units and scenarios.
No scenario editor.
No action cards.
Multiple bugs remain unfixed while new features that don't work are added.
Multiplayer broken by easy cheats and reporting of cheats remains ignored.

I'm forecasting the abandonment of HoN by Slitherine in the near future and doubt we'll ever see the editor.
Strider
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Strider »

uncle_joe wrote:Yes, the roadmap is way behind schedule already lol. At this point, I'm just hoping some of this stuff gets released AT ALL. I mean it took a month for 1.12 which launched last week and doesn't seem to work (hotseat doesn't even function at this point from what I can see). And I haven't seen a word here or on the Steam forums even acknowledging that hotseat is broken let alone a possible fix date..
Thank you for this, I came within a mouse click of buying. I was impressed while browsing on Steam that Hotseat had been added and other fixes had been done. Hotseat is a real seller for me.

I was just about to purchase on steam but then though it better to get it direct from Slitherine. Good job I checked the forum first, shame as I was looking forward to playing this but it doesn't fill me with confidence at the moment.

Moving on...
Uncle_Joe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Uncle_Joe »

Strider wrote:
uncle_joe wrote:Yes, the roadmap is way behind schedule already lol. At this point, I'm just hoping some of this stuff gets released AT ALL. I mean it took a month for 1.12 which launched last week and doesn't seem to work (hotseat doesn't even function at this point from what I can see). And I haven't seen a word here or on the Steam forums even acknowledging that hotseat is broken let alone a possible fix date..
Thank you for this, I came within a mouse click of buying. I was impressed while browsing on Steam that Hotseat had been added and other fixes had been done. Hotseat is a real seller for me.

I was just about to purchase on steam but then though it better to get it direct from Slitherine. Good job I checked the forum first, shame as I was looking forward to playing this but it doesn't fill me with confidence at the moment.

Moving on...
Keep an eye on it (put it on your wishlist or something). As it stands, it's still a fun game, but not anywhere near living up to the potential that it can be. If they actually get to put some development work into it and deliver some of what is on that roadmap, I think it'll be well worth the money. But if they don't get that done, wait for a good sale and pick it up...it's still worth playing for a while.
Brenmusik
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Brenmusik »

nucleus wrote:Here's the roadmap:

How cruel :twisted: , 'tis the season of goodwill :wink:
Very funny though.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Re: So where are we?
Postby IainMcNeil » 19 Nov 2015 10:10

Hi guys

there were some personal health issues with the team that slowed things down but we're very close to completing the Editor and getting some other features out to you. The team are also busy working on the updates so not as much free time to communicate on the forums.

You should see some updates soon!
:(

Tis Christmas, the time for good will to all, so get well soon developer and what will come will come when it's ready :oops:
Strider
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Strider »

uncle_joe wrote:Keep an eye on it (put it on your wishlist or something). As it stands, it's still a fun game, but not anywhere near living up to the potential that it can be. If they actually get to put some development work into it and deliver some of what is on that roadmap, I think it'll be well worth the money. But if they don't get that done, wait for a good sale and pick it up...it's still worth playing for a while.
Very true Joe and I intend to keep an eye on this one. I came very close to a purchase and if hotseat had worked I would already own it.

"Tis Christmas, the time for good will to all, so get well soon developer and what will come will come when it's ready" - Zak

Totally agree, mate. I don't know about his illness and none of my business but I can sympathise with what he may be going through on the coding side.

I am not a game developer but have produced many a business app over the years and know the pain and the pressure caused by "misbehaving" code :cry:

My only thoughts are:
1. Get well !
2. If people are moaning or complaining, then they want your application, so you are doing something good. If they didn't like, then there would be silence. 8)
3. If I could be so bold as to suggest that you should fix the bugs first, ignore new features and get the old stuff working and stable.
4. Release one new feature at a time, it helps focus and will also help identify any issues (Editor next?)

I hope this doesn't sound patronising, it isn't meant to be. Just one developer talking to another (even if from a different area) :)

Return to “Heroes of Normandie”