Lime Green Blobs

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

mdavis41
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Lime Green Blobs

Post by mdavis41 »

I have started to notice a few new user designed scenarios where the units are two tone lime green and red and all figure detail has been rendered as a block. Boyne for example.
mdavis41
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Lime Green Blobs

Post by mdavis41 »

Killikrankie all units look like this. In Boyne, only one Wiilimiamite unit so far.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

seems i was in error, sorry about that, will try and do better next time
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Those are my scenarios, and nearly all the units have new graphics done by myself.
Recently, I had noticed that when saving the graphics files in the usual way (in DXT3 format) the image was getting slightly fuzzed. To get around that, I have started to save the files as a 32bit ARGB. Now these files still look perfectly normal on my PC, but I wonder if for some people they do not work?
I wonder if anyone else is getting these graphical issues? Perhaps it is something to do with the PC's graphics card?
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

mdavis41 wrote:Killikrankie all units look like this. In Boyne, only one Wiilimiamite unit so far.
When this occurs, it usually means that a texture is missing.

Is this on "Pike and Shot" or "Pike and Shot: Campaigns"?

From the colour I suspect it is on iPad, and therefore on "Pike and Shot". Missing texture on PC is usually rendered as cyan and green.

However, both versions of Killikrankie look fine on my PC, so maybe Paul is right and some machines don't like 32bit ARGB (whatever that is).

Can you give the names of the units affected?

Perhaps you ought to revert to DXT3 Paul. As far as I can see Paint.Net saves this format without blurring.
Richard Bodley Scott

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

DDS files using the DXT formats are indeed lossy - it's how the compress and render so well. If the fuzziness is a problem then I suggest doubling the texture resolution, though it is unlikely that you are going to see any compression artifacts on unit graphics.

I don't think that the iPad loading code can handle non-DXT DDS files, so that would definitely be the issue. If you want to keep using non-lossy files on PC (which has a performance and loading cost FYI) then you could use the PVR compressor to build iPad specific versions

http://www.slitherinebravo.net/GameWiki ... provements

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Thanks Pip,

I will have a think about what to do with this issue. I will probably go back to saving as DXT3. I have two massive scenarios just finished, but I will now have to resave all of the graphics as DXT3!

Sorry to any ipad users who have had problems with these graphics.

Regards

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

IIRC you can use either the DXTexture Tool (included in the DX SDK) or also XnView to batch convert any number of files, so that should be quicker :) (XNView is Tools->BatchProcessing).

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
mdavis41
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mdavis41 »

I am using Pike & Shot and yes, on my iPad
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Yes,I think the crucial thing is that the iPad may not be able to read my latest graphics images. I will re-release these scenarios with the graphics saved in the normal way, it will take me a few days, then you should be okay.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

You will be pleased to learn that the iPad-compatible v2 of Killikrankie and Boyne are now up on the FTP. Aughrim has not yet been updated to be iPad-compatible, but Paul is working on it.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

iPad-friendly v2 of Aughrim also up on FTP.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Tech Support”