Multiplayer Champion Tournament 2016

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Multiplayer Champion Tournament 2016

Post by goose_2 »

Ok that is it, it is time to but my signature on the line.

I have been wanting to do this for quite a while and see what kind of interest on the forum ther is for something like this.

I am playing Beta right now so I cannot play multiplayer, but I want to start getting a list of people that are interested in a tournament where you will be paired up in a challenge with another player to determine the Multiplayer Champion of 2016.

Here is how I envision implementing this.

First post on this topic your interest in battling in this tournament with a list of 3 to 5 scenarios that you would be willing to play another person on.

I will compile the list and post the Round 1 matches in February (So make sure you post by let's say...Valentine's Day)

You will set up a private game with your first challenger for Round 1
The scenarios have to be played on a head to head basis with undo option off.
The player who wins the scenario the fastest wins. If both sides win on the same turn...for example if you were playing Norway and both sides won as the Axis on turn 17 then the one who finishes with the most prestige wins.

You post who won on this forum, and I will take that list of winners and set up round 2 matches.

This will continue until the final round where the 2 semi finalists will face each other to be declared the 2016 Multiplayer Champion of the World...or some kind of Grand Title befitting their prowess.

The one caveat is that none of the scenarios can be those massive mod made scenarios like 1941 or 1939 mp challenges. Those are fun, but they are so massive that they would just take too long to declare a winner.

I look forward to seeing if there is any interest in this topic.
Let me know.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
goose_2

Re: Multiplayer Champion Tournament 2016

Post by goose_2 »

I have had 2 people privately contact me about this.

I am looking forward to making this happen.
goose_2

Hollowlolo
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Hollowlolo »

Hello Commander !

As I told u in my PM, I'm both scared and interested ^^

- Benelux.
- Barbarossa.
- Stalingrad .

See ya on the Battlefield. ;)
" Des Canons ! Des Munitions! "
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

All right, with me that makes 4 interested players.
Those 3 scenarios are some of the best.

I would be dishonest if I said I am only a little excited about this, because I am very excited.

1 month seems so far away. ;-)
goose_2

wolfslair71
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by wolfslair71 »

count me in. if you are looking for balanced scenarios then some good ones are from panzerkorps Wehrmacht steamroller against steel, spoils of war and the Dnieper. from panzerkorps afrika korps desert squadrons and blood & sand are cool.
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Why not use the Random Battle Generator to create battles?

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I wouldn't even know how to implement something like that, but thanks for the thought BNC, are you considering being our 6th confirmed participant. ;-)
goose_2

BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Adding the RBG is quite easy.

:arrow: Download from link in my signature.
:arrow: Copy files contained in the zip to My Docs/My Games/Panzer Corps/Scenario
:arrow: When setting up the challenge select 'Custom...'
:arrow: Click on Random Battle Generator.

I think it would be more balanced than if you used the regular scenarios, as one can easily look at the same scenario in SP and find where the enemy units are :twisted: .
goose_2 wrote:are you considering being our 6th confirmed participant. ;-)
Doubt I would make it through the first round :lol: . I play on Lieutenant, so I have no idea how I would take down a Field Marshal!

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Dually noted. :-)
goose_2

braccada
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by braccada »

Hey count me in. What better way to finally start multiplayer :) No idea about suitable scenarios. But I only know the vanilla campaign in detail, so it should be one of those.

So each round consists of two games on the same map, right?
Follow my Grand Let's Play series: Rommel, Manstein and Guderian
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=53035
TopGun1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TopGun1 »

Hi count me in
scenes are
steamroller vs steel
hylan valley
frozen north
iron cross red star

look forward to it. :shock:
Naxor
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Naxor »

I can participate if only multiplayer balanced scenarios are selected.

- War games
- Urban warfare
- Red alert
- Hylan Valley
- Partisan uprising
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

10 Contestants confirmed so far.

This is going to be so awesome.

I cannot believe I have to wait more than 2 weeks before we can get started on this. :evil:

Here are the list of competitors that I have heard confirmation of their interest in this contest:

goose_2 DUH :shock: :oops: :twisted:

Hollowlolo (Beware this player he is the one who taught me everything I know, him and his buddy Sylvio)

Mkoki77 (Really fun player I have recently met that really brings new strategies I had not considered)

Argotelu (Player Mkoki77 has found but I have never had any contact with. Should be very interesting)

Wolfslair71 (Fun player from the States like me, who is extremely fun to play)

Braccada (This is the one I am most excited about. You are a game elite master, whose video strategies are nothing less than brilliant. I am a huge fan boy, so I am taking advantage of setting thsi up and would like to play you as my first challenger) I can't help it I have wanted to play him since I first saw his strategy for Operation SeaLion on the Vanilla campaign.

RAG116 (Fun player from Florida in the States that I am also connected with on Steam)

topgun (New player I found playing MP on Soviet Beta)

Skyfox122 (A strategy game enthusiast extraordinaire, who has logged more hours on Panzer Corps than I think is legal. ;-) )

Naxor (a recent contact that I have no other information on this guy, could be deadly.) :shock:

I plan on settting up the first matches on Valentine's Day at which time I will post the match ups and the scenarios each match up will play for the First Round.
It will be up to those match ups to be set up by the respective players as a Paired Game with Undo off (For Realism).
Time Limit to report back on the outcome of the match will have to be set to a month, but hopefully we can all progress a lot faster then that.

What you will report back is the outcome.
For Example:
Braccada and Goose_2 fought in Poland
Braccada as Germans defeated Poland by round 9
Goose_2 Germans defeated Poland by round 11
This means Braccada won that game and moves ahead on the winners circuit, Goose_2 moves down to the Undercard Circuit.
If they both won as the Germans on the same round then it will come down to who had the most prestige.

The people who win their respective matches in the First Round will move forward to Second Round of combat, all those that lose the First Round will go ahead to play all other First Round Losers to Undercard Circuit. Once you lose on the Undercard Circuit then you are out of the contest.

There may be rounds where certain people have to wait to play as match ups are uneven. That will have to be determined by the players who post first their wins in that round, but we will work that out as we go on with this.

I am so pleased to see this much interest in this contest and i am super excited to get started. We can still take more participants, but time is running out to let me know, otherwise you will need to wait until the Muliplayer Tournament Champion 2017. :mrgreen:

I am such a geek. :roll:
goose_2

braccada

Post by braccada »

Great! Btw I am on holiday in the week from 8th to the 14th, but after that I am all yours. Just do not expect too much. This will literally be my first multiplayer game! So I guess it will take some time to adapt.
Follow my Grand Let's Play series: Rommel, Manstein and Guderian
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=53035
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

braccada wrote:Great! Btw I am on holiday in the week from 8th to the 14th, but after that I am all yours. Just do not expect too much. This will literally be my first multiplayer game! So I guess it will take some time to adapt.

You might not want to make the contest your first exposure to mp. I would suggest playing a few open games on the multiplayer just to give you some familiarity with how to play the game versus an actual player.

Maybe try Poland to give you some easy context with the mechanics of playing a human rather than a computer.

Just trying to help.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

RAG116 had a question about the contest so I thought I would send him an answer and post it to the forum.

He asked how people would report the results.

Actually I was hoping people would post them on the forum, in the topic. That is where I will be posting all the match ups in 2 weeks.

Like this:
You know let's say RAG116 faces Hollowlolo, (You won't) and your first match was in Low Countries. (As this is a match he let me know he would feel comfortable playing against someone)

I think your 5 were any of the balanced scenarios on the Vanilla Campaign, right?

Anyway you would play a paired game on that scenario with undo off.

You would go through the rounds and let's say Hollowlolo beat you as the Germans on turn 17 and you beat him as the Germans on turn 19. He would win and you or he would post that on the forum.
As Follows:
Hollowlolo beat RAG116 as the Germans in turn 17 and RAG116 beat Hollowlolo as the Germans in turn 19: Winner Hollowlolo

Since it is the first round Hollowlolo would go on to the 2nd round to face another one who won their match up.
You would go on to the 2nd round to face someone who lost their first match up.

I am pairing off everyone with someone their first round with someone else who gave me the same scenario as one of their 5 favorites.

Braccada and I will be pairing off in Poland, so I can give him a heads up so he can practice. (I would hate to give him a bad taste for multiplayer, and if I spank him as Poland and Germany I am afraid I might do that. So please prepare yourself young squire because I am coming with guns blazing.)

I am so excited.

Please reach out to me with any other questions or any scenarios that you would like to play. (I will try and make a big list)
goose_2

Rayrard
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Rayrard »

How does multiplayer stack up for a player that hasn't played on multiplayer? I am curious how I'd fare. I know human players play intelligently and use units in random orders unlike the AI which does planes and recon first and infantry and ATG last. So defenses that defeat the AI easily may be defeated easily by a human. Pushing all the units to the front also might not work against the human because they could use paratroops.

Anyone have personal experiences with human players that can illustrate the difference in play quality? I can imagine some scenarios cannot be beaten versus a human (Germans in Bagration) just because the human player knows how to use his advantages and which units are on the map (attack the Tiger 2's with Sturmoviks and not the Hetzers for example, and surround them so they cannot resupply)

I myself have played all the Grand Campaigns all the way through and won decisive victories in all of them. I beat the regular PzCorps campaign on Field Marshall to get the bonus levels. I have not played the campaigns on the super hard levels though. I've beaten all the regular stand-alone scenarios as both the Germans and Allies (including Bagration and Advance to the Elbe).

How would I fare against human players? I assume not well since I am "programmed" to fight the AI and would be out-thought by a human player. I assume my offense would still be good, but my defense may be inappropriate versus a human.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Wow Rayrard, those are some great observations and deatiled questions.

I will start a new post with Multiplayer hints to address your questions with some of the keys to strategically decimating your opponent when playing versus another human.

For just a quick response on some of the unbalanced scenarios. There are certain scenarios that I consider broken that no matter what one side will dominate, always, no matter how it is played. There are a ton.
Including Bagration, The USA Scenarios, and Advance to the Elbe.

But there is nothing quite as humiliating to a players ego to have a skilled player totally annihilate you when you are playing the Germans and the opponent is playing Poland.

It was one of my first multiplayer games and Hollowlolo just decimated me. (I have learned so much since then) There is nothing like those first 5 to 10 games that you play as a multi player, especially when you feel like a skilled player, and then you just look amateurish against a human. It is very humbling and fun.

I will put more of my thoughts on multiplayer strategy on a seperate post when I have more time, which will probably have to be later this week.

Let me know if you want to be considered for the Tournament Rayrard as I am still taking applicants.
what are 3 to 5 scenarios you would feel comfortable playing another player.
goose_2

Delta66

Post by Delta66 »

Hi goose_2

Congrats for organizing this event.
Unfortunately I won't have enough time to participate. I just drop by to easily find the thread back and follow the results.
Best luck to you all !
Rayrard

Post by Rayrard »

goose_2:

I'd be interested in hearing your experience in Poland against a human. Or even an AAR. I'm sure you destroyed the computer who was playing as Poland, so what tactic of yours did the human player take advantage of?

I think the key is the artillery as I'd have to eliminate the German artillery support to stand any chance of defeating the Germans. Not being able to get to the artillery opens your flak to the German artillery, which then opens up your artillery to the Me-110. A stand at the first objective seems not possible, but the battle can be better fought at the top left objective with the trenches. I just never get to that point with the AI, as I defeat them in the south and none of them even go for the upper cities.

But maybe start a new thread

Return to “Panzer Corps”