Battlefield: Europe MOD v2.0

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Uhu
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Posts: 1169
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:16 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by Uhu » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:28 am

Ceek wrote:I replayed the scenario at default settings (General, AI = 2, normal dice) from the beginning and just secured my first decisive victory
Congratulations and very well done! Nice AAR indeed! If you start the save starts, I advice to play it in difficulty steps: first Stalingrad, than Kurks and last Normandy. With Stalingrad, a DV is still a possibility, although it is really hard to earn. I could made a DV also with the Kursk save, but that was with 1.6, and as in 1.7 the defenses of Enland got much stronger and Allied units grew bigger, it is probably impossible. With Normandy, only a Draw is real - the only difference is, how much territories can you hold, or recapture.
Image
Image

Andreh
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by Andreh » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:10 pm

When playing the first 3 smaller scenarios, does it make a difference what happens to auxiliary forces in survival and prestige gaining? Or the next oob always the same way time after time?
I mean, as our core number is so small, should I play the aux as if they were core too?

JimmyC
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:31 am

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by JimmyC » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:03 am

Andreh wrote:When playing the first 3 smaller scenarios, does it make a difference what happens to auxiliary forces in survival and prestige gaining? Or the next oob always the same way time after time?
I mean, as our core number is so small, should I play the aux as if they were core too?
No, it doesn’t matter what happens to the auxiliary troops. Therefore definitely don’t give them experienced reserves and if possible don’t even give them green reserves. The first 3 scenarios should be all about babying your core troops to gain the most experience (and prestige) possible.

Uhu made a good guide about this (especially about what core troops you should refund/upgrade) although that was under the old mod and i believe the core force has reduced since then?
Last edited by JimmyC on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

JimmyC
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:31 am

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by JimmyC » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:27 am

When I have the time I am going to try tackling v1.7, but have decided to go for a MV by mostly just holding the line at the Eastern Front and looking to destroy the Commonwealth forces. When you start the scenario there is a tip that if you are going to do this it recommends you should only lightly attack the Russians as they will respond aggressively if you advance too far. Its kind of vague though, so I was wondering how far I should be advancing? For example, if I close the Kiev pocket will they became enraged?

Uhu
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Posts: 1169
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:16 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by Uhu » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:48 am

JimmyC wrote:When I have the time I am going to try tackling v1.7, but have decided to go for a MV by mostly just holding the line at the Eastern Front and looking to destroy the Commonwealth forces. When you start the scenario there is a tip that if you are going to do this it recommends you should only lightly attack the Russians as they will respond aggressively if you advance too far. Its kind of vague though, so I was wondering how far I should be advancing? For example, if I close the Kiev pocket will they became enraged?
You have to avoid taking the major objective cities.
Image
Image

Uhu
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Posts: 1169
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:16 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by Uhu » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:57 am

JimmyC wrote:
Andreh wrote:When playing the first 3 smaller scenarios, does it make a difference what happens to auxiliary forces in survival and prestige gaining? Or the next oob always the same way time after time?
I mean, as our core number is so small, should I play the aux as if they were core too?
No, it doesn’t matter what happens to the auxiliary troops. Therefore definitely don’t give them experienced reserves and if possible don’t even give them green reserves. The first 3 scenarios should be all about babying your core troops to gain the most experience (and prestige) possible.

Uhu made a good guide about this (especially about what core troops you should refund/upgrade) although that was under the old mod and i believe the core force has reduced since then?
Yes, since 1.7, there is not much possibility for tricks to change the core army. But still you can do some smart action with them!
- Hold the hero-panzer, collect a lot of xp's. Upgrade to Pz IV after Poland.
- Sell the other 2 panzers after Poland (so no need to collect xp, or avoid casualties) and A: buy 2x Pz IV's (in that way, you have the money for selling the old ones). B: sell the 2 panzers and buy 1x Pz IV, 1x fighter. A recommend the B option, because, you can upgrade obsolote panzers in Barbarossa (best candidate for it is the hero-Pz38(t). And the number of fighters is never enough. :)
- Sell the 10,5 cm arty and buy a 150mm arty (again, you gain prestige for selling the old one).

*The pre-scenarios are not so hard but short, so you can practice, how you make the best of them. I recommend it, because a really lot depends on it, with how much prestige you start Barbarossa - upgrading fighters (to Fw 190A), Romanian and Italian arty and maybe tanks costs a lot, so it is godd, if you have the prestige for it. ;) Try to make as many captures, as possible, because it brings prestige - in France, there is many possibilities for that. And avoid to take any serious casualties for the core, because it drains prestige. Take all objectives. If you do good, you can capture all cities in Southern France (Freance scn) and the town and airport east of Tobruk too (Mediterrean scn) - but only without taking more casualties, as you get from capturing them! :) And of course make replacements always just between scenarios.
Image
Image

glaude1955
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:55 am

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by glaude1955 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:19 pm

Bonjour McGuba
Your mod is super attractive.
I try to follow the wise advice of Uhu but one time I do not get the same results.
I don't visualize the coordinates of the siege point about Vilpuri and the coordinates of the other three siege points in the south of Leningrad.
I captured Vipuri, Riga, Pskov and Tallinn but not Narva.
What is the trigger for the siege to Leningrad ?

Regards

Yves

JimmyC
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:31 am

Proper use of AT (towed)

Post by JimmyC » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:09 am

Where is the best place to put AT – open terrain, hills or cities/forest? I always put it in open terrain to take advantage of its higher ground defense and its initiative bonus vs tanks (in close defense the initiative bonus is capped at 2 or 3 iirc which nullifies the bonus). They will also get absolutely chewed up by infantry if in close terrain.

But perhaps there is a benefit of putting them in close terrain, as if attacked by a tank they will do much more damage to the tank (using the tanks close defense stat) if in cities/woods? Close terrain would also protect them more from air attack...

How do others use them?

Andreh
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by Andreh » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:32 am

Uhu wrote:...
JimmyC wrote:
Andreh wrote:...
...
Thanks you 2, when I read this kind of tips I see how amateurish Ive played. Back to Poland!

JimmyC
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:31 am

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by JimmyC » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:42 am

Uhu wrote:
JimmyC wrote:When I have the time I am going to try tackling v1.7, but have decided to go for a MV by mostly just holding the line at the Eastern Front and looking to destroy the Commonwealth forces. When you start the scenario there is a tip that if you are going to do this it recommends you should only lightly attack the Russians as they will respond aggressively if you advance too far. Its kind of vague though, so I was wondering how far I should be advancing? For example, if I close the Kiev pocket will they became enraged?
You have to avoid taking the major objective cities.
Do you mean the really big ones like Moscow and Leningrad or any cities with a gold plate?

McGuba
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Posts: 1163
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by McGuba » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:29 am

Sparatacus wrote:Played to turn 20ish very addictive scenario loving the scale and the attention to detail with the authenticity of the unit ratios and the historical events and all the modded units look great! Thanks for making this McGuba its awesome!
Hi,

Your original 1941 scenario was a great inspiration to make this mod, so thanks to you, too! :D

Dylan wrote:Yes I'm on turn 10 now...just like you said very well made with the authenticity of units and events. I especially like the naval engagements and battle for Malta. Truly an island fortress. Leningrad is likewise an extremely strong fortress city. Yes thank you McGuba!
Cheers,

Good luck, and fear the winter, as it is coming! :wink:

Ceek wrote:I replayed the scenario at default settings (General, AI = 2, normal dice) from the beginning and just secured a decisive victory by focusing first on the USSR and then invading England in '43. Previously, I had only been able to secure DVs through a Sealion '41, which has never been too satisfying to me from an operational point of view.
Very nice, and thanks for your AAR! It is good to know that in v1.7 it is also possible to make a DV by "average" players (and no offense here - I know that it is possible to beat it even on Rommel, but Uhu needed many attempts and replays to become so professional :) ). I do not really think I could improve it too much from this point unless they improve the base game as well, for example by adding more AI zones, which would be awesome. Still, probably I will make another version later, but I have only made very small adjustments since the release of v1.7 and these do not justify a new release. So any new suggestions which do not require more AI zones are welcome.
JimmyC wrote:When I have the time I am going to try tackling v1.7, but have decided to go for a MV by mostly just holding the line at the Eastern Front and looking to destroy the Commonwealth forces. When you start the scenario there is a tip that if you are going to do this it recommends you should only lightly attack the Russians as they will respond aggressively if you advance too far. Its kind of vague though, so I was wondering how far I should be advancing? For example, if I close the Kiev pocket will they became enraged?
There are several Soviet units which only appear on the map if the player captures at least one Soviet victory objective hex. And no, it does not only include the major objectives like Moscow or Leningrad, but any Soviet objective city on the map. And it only affects some of the units and it only takes effect for a time. After a while all new Soviet units start to appear wheter or not the player took a victory objective. Still, it gives some "Happy Times" for those players who only want to beat the Western Allies. It is supposed to simulate the historical fact that Stalin originally wanted the Western Allies and Germany to weaken each other down and only then move in to gain control of (Eastern?) Europe.

glaude1955 wrote:Bonjour McGuba
Your mod is super attractive.
I try to follow the wise advice of Uhu but one time I do not get the same results.
I don't visualize the coordinates of the siege point about Vilpuri and the coordinates of the other three siege points in the south of Leningrad.
I captured Vipuri, Riga, Pskov and Tallinn but not Narva.
What is the trigger for the siege to Leningrad ?

Regards

Yves
Hi,

The improved Leningrad siege was only added by the latest v1.7 version of the mod, so I suppose you have this one?

If so, the condition for the message and the marked hexes to be shown for the encirclement is the following:
1. between turn 1 and 70
2. Axis has to capture any 5 of the following cities/airports:
- Tallin (100, 21)
- Riga (99,28)
- Dvinsk (105,30)
- Kaunas (99,34)
- Vilnius (102, 35)
- Bialystok (98, 38)
- the airport near Pskov (106, 27)

JimmyC wrote:Where is the best place to put AT – open terrain, hills or cities/forest? I always put it in open terrain to take advantage of its higher ground defense and its initiative bonus vs tanks (in close defense the initiative bonus is capped at 2 or 3 iirc which nullifies the bonus). They will also get absolutely chewed up by infantry if in close terrain.

But perhaps there is a benefit of putting them in close terrain, as if attacked by a tank they will do much more damage to the tank (using the tanks close defense stat) if in cities/woods? Close terrain would also protect them more from air attack...

How do others use them?
This is a very good question and I was also thinking about it. I think it mainly depends on the actual situation, the terrain, the available units, wheter or not you have air superiority and the general strategy. In some cases both can be useful, but I think it is more important to make sure that towed ATs are always backed by an artillery unit to protect against infantry attacks. But I am not sure that in forest they attack against close defense - as I know only infantry can attack against close defense in close terrain. Or maybe I am terribly wrong. :roll:
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969

McGuba
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Posts: 1163
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by McGuba » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:58 am

If we are at AARs, these days I am busy watching a very exciting AAR regularly posted on youtube. It is Michael's first play through with the earlier v1.6 version of the mod and he posts one turn every day. He is currently at turn 36 - the historical time of the Stalingrad battles and the Torch invasion, so there is much headache on the way. :evil:

Although he narrates it in German and my German language skills are unfortunately very limited he makes a very interesting and fun commentary, and the video speaks for itself, anyway, so I can highly recommend it to anyone, not only to those with fluent German. And, by the way, a real authentic Generalfeldmarshall should only speak flawless German, isn' it? :wink:

He does not play without mistakes, but as it is his first play it is easy to understand why. I find it especially interesting to watch someone who plays it for the first time - how the successes and the failures balance each other, how the frustration adds up at times, and how the original plans have to be changed as the general situation worsens. Also I am interested how he will end up - if he even plays it up to the end.


It starts here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icoJydunQ4Q
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969

JimmyC
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:31 am

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by JimmyC » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:04 am

McGuba wrote:
JimmyC wrote:Where is the best place to put AT – open terrain, hills or cities/forest? I always put it in open terrain to take advantage of its higher ground defense and its initiative bonus vs tanks (in close defense the initiative bonus is capped at 2 or 3 iirc which nullifies the bonus). They will also get absolutely chewed up by infantry if in close terrain.

But perhaps there is a benefit of putting them in close terrain, as if attacked by a tank they will do much more damage to the tank (using the tanks close defense stat) if in cities/woods? Close terrain would also protect them more from air attack...

How do others use them?
This is a very good question and I was also thinking about it. I think it mainly depends on the actual situation, the terrain, the available units, wheter or not you have air superiority and the general strategy. In some cases both can be useful, but I think it is more important to make sure that towed ATs are always backed by an artillery unit to protect against infantry attacks. But I am not sure that in forest they attack against close defense - as I know only infantry can attack against close defense in close terrain. Or maybe I am terribly wrong. :roll:
Yes, you are correct. It is my mistake. Only units with the trait "close" can make use of using the opponent's close defense stat. So the only benefit of putting them in close terrain would then be better protection from air and quicker entrenchment - but at the expense of being incredibly vulnerable to infantry. So whilst situational, i would say that you should always aim to have AT in clear terrain if possible.

glaude1955
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:55 am

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by glaude1955 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:52 pm

McGuba wrote:
The improved Leningrad siege was only added by the latest v1.7 version of the mod, so I suppose you have this one?

If so, the condition for the message and the marked hexes to be shown for the encirclement is the following:
1. between turn 1 and 70
2. Axis has to capture any 5 of the following cities/airports:
- Tallin (100, 21)
- Riga (99,28)
- Dvinsk (105,30)
- Kaunas (99,34)
- Vilnius (102, 35)
- Bialystok (98, 38)
- the airport near Pskov (106, 27)
Hello McGuba,
I completely uninstalled your mod.
I downloaded the new version 1.7 now online.
I installed via JSGME
I replayed the first 3 scenarios.
Then I chained the Barbarossa campaign.
I captured all the indicated hexes.
Among those captured hexagons (they show the German flag) only some are occupied by a unit:
Tallinn: DD
Kaunas: AT
Vilnius: Inf
Bialystok: Inf
and airfield near Pskov: Plane
I attach the save at the end of turn 16
You will see that there is no message about the siege of Leningrad, nor hexagons marked on the map.
What did I do wrong?
Regards
Yves
Attachments
Barbarossa.rar
save turn 16
(229.76 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

McGuba
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Posts: 1163
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by McGuba » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi, I checked your save game. The problem is with your installation. You are still playing the v1.6 version of the big scenario for some reason. The map does not include the Arab Gulf area and Basra in the Middle East, and also there are no reconnaissance planes. In v1.7 all these, and some others, should be there.

Just a quick check:

When you start the game do you see v1.6 or v1.7 in the main screen?
If you start a new game from the main menu in the fourth (the main) scenario (Barbarossa 41) can you see the Arab Gulf coast and Basra in the Middle East with the port city Umm Qasr? Are there any German Hs-126 reconnaissance planes on the map? (For example there should be one north of Königsberg at 93,33)
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969

McGuba
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Posts: 1163
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by McGuba » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:29 pm

Oh, mon Dieu! It looks like I forgot to update the Localised files after v1.6... :twisted:

So it is entirely my fault, sorry. As it stands now v1.7 only works properly if you are playing the game in English. If players are using PzC in any other language it loads the v1.6 game files. So I will try to quickly upload a fixed version soon. Sorry again.
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969

glaude1955
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:55 am

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by glaude1955 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:44 am

Hello McGuba,
That reassures me because I had the impression of being the only one to see nothing!
It is true that I play with the French interface.
With the English interface, in fact I see an Hs-126 in 93.33 and the Arab Gulf coast and Basra in the Middle East with the port city Umm Qasr
I did not know that the scenario could be different depending on the language used.
It remains for me to start all over again, it does not matter because your mod is very exciting (too much) and I noticed that you have added and modified some units in the last English version :)
Thank you for having looked at my problem!
Regards
Yves

glaude1955
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:55 am

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by glaude1955 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:47 am

Hello McGuba,

Now, I play in English :( and it is OK :lol:

Great mod !

Regards

Yves

Uhu
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Posts: 1169
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:16 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by Uhu » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:14 am

You will develop your english knowledge, besides conquering Europe! ;)
glaude1955 wrote:Hello McGuba,

Now, I play in English :( and it is OK :lol:

Great mod !

Regards

Yves
Image
Image

glaude1955
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:55 am

Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.7

Post by glaude1955 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:59 am

Hello McGuba,
I play with the version 1.7 "English".
I have a problem with the Wurzburg radar.
I press the button swithch and the radar takes the form of a train. I move the train to another city and the following turn, the switch button becomes available so I pressed it.
Nothing happens, the radar does not land from its transport and keeps the appearance of a train.
What to do ?

Regards

Yves
Last edited by glaude1955 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”