old Potzblitz thread (discontinued)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: POTZBLITZ: a mod for CTGW UPDATE V2.2.3

Post by nehi »

Zombo wrote:
I've never even really enjoyed vanilla
but in vanilla there is at least hope for cp when they are advancing fast

actually its quite well balanced for mp, except small garrisons upkeep

but potzblitz makes enjoyable sp, no doubt, i never understood what happened with ai between 1.52 and 1.6x, in 1.6x it does like nothing (except using trains all the time :lol: )
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

Zombo wrote: don't know how this can be fixed, maybe no PPs for a couple of turns instead of just starting with zero. Or Hindenburg at the historical time...

Russian PP: The event "Russian Supply Crisis" drains the Russian production for several months and reduces all land units effectiveness. If the effect is too minor for mulitplayer I could lengthen the event's duration and raise the effectiveness drain. Alternatively just tell me what units should be removed from the Russian starting forces for multiplayer.

Hindenburg: how about bringing in Hindenburg as soon as Prittwitz has been moved west of the Vistula? This would end the Cossacks effect and prevent Tannenberg at the cost of a morale penalty to compensate.
Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Zombo »

I can only speak about the MP mode, as it is the only thing we play
Russian PP: The event "Russian Supply Crisis" drains the Russian production for several months and reduces all land units effectiveness. If the effect is too minor for mulitplayer I could lengthen the event's duration and raise the effectiveness drain.
That sounds like a good idea. in multiplayer there is no way to even approach anything resembling a Tannenberg victory.
Alternatively just tell me what units should be removed from the Russian starting forces for multiplayer.
I think the forces are ok. They gave Prittwitz a bit of trouble to start with, after all. Their effectiveness just collapsed very quickly, so the supply crisis might be the way to go
Hindenburg: how about bringing in Hindenburg as soon as Prittwitz has been moved west of the Vistula? This would end the Cossacks effect and prevent Tannenberg at the cost of a morale penalty to compensate.
Definitely. Although I would favour retaining a little of the current version, and have Hindenburg appear with on the unit that destroys the first Russian unit destroyed ( or on the closest Infantry/cav unit - but I don't know if it's feasible)

I think the real problem is the Galician front. No sane AH player would have even attempt to cross the border. Instead, the wisest move is to abandon the border altogether and establish a short defence line on Lemberg. The first was completely unthinkable historically, the second makes Lemberg nearly impossible to take for the Russians, which is not much better.

Ideally - I don't know how moddable this is - I think the Galician front should not be playable at all on the first turns ( one of the problems of it being active at start is that the AH receive the Russian attack already slightly entrenched), the same way the German and Russian units aren't either. The front should become active on the Russian turn, against AH units that set up at start one hex into the Russian border, and not entrenched of course. This would simulate the "bad surprise" effect of the Russian counterattack and solve the apparently unsolvable problem of having the AH attack across the border when with insight players do the exact opposite...

moreauv
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by moreauv »

so how is stuff going
figured out how to display collapse points? or event choices
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@moreauv: sadly not, the little time I had the last week was totally consumed by trying to implement the "morale loss/gain by breakthroughs" mechanic proposed by Zombo. I'll ditch the choice feature alltogether (for now!) after finding out the effort needed to get this working is far greater than I expected. Still unsure about collapse point display feature too due to "real life" demanding its share of attention.
Zombo wrote: Ideally - I don't know how moddable this is - I think the Galician front should not be playable at all on the first turns ( one of the problems of it being active at start is that the AH receive the Russian attack already slightly entrenched), the same way the German and Russian units aren't either. The front should become active on the Russian turn, against AH units that set up at start one hex into the Russian border, and not entrenched of course. This would simulate the "bad surprise" effect of the Russian counterattack and solve the apparently unsolvable problem of having the AH attack across the border when with insight players do the exact opposite...
This is doable using the "spawn unit" function, though it would most likely lead to the complete destruction of every AH unit spawned into Russian territory. Spawning CP (AH) units into neutral Entente (Russian) territory counts as being "out of supply" even if Russia declares war the same turn. This would completely demolish AH morale via the internal "kill/casualities" morale modifiers and AH would have to rely on the few units it had produced during the first few turns to hold the whole Galician front which is hardly more than a few garrisons.
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

This is doable using the "spawn unit" function, though it would most likely lead to the complete destruction of every AH unit spawned into Russian territory. Spawning CP (AH) units into neutral Entente (Russian) territory counts as being "out of supply" even if Russia declares war the same turn. This would completely demolish AH morale via the internal "kill/casualities" morale modifiers and AH would have to rely on the few units it had produced during the first few turns to hold the whole Galician front which is hardly more than a few garrisons.
Why not just spawning the units at the border than? Whether they are geographically inside Russia or within AH borders, ultimately, matters little. ( They didn't go very far anyway.) What matters is not having them entrenched and braced for impact along a nice defensive line when the show starts. Just having them on the border, unentrenched and in sub-optimal set-up, would certainly be enough to replicate the critical historical situation...
I'll ditch the choice feature alltogether
Don't overwork yourself you've done a brilliant job so far :)

BTW, are you planning on doing something about Hindenburg? It feels very strange to have him appear after the battle, when he was such a emblematic figure the genesis and the conduct of the battle itself... plus, well, the Germans could use a little help if they want to have a chance to obtain something like a Tannenberg victory ( I'm talking Multiplayer, as always) rather than slugging their way forward à la Western Front.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@Zombo:
Honestly, I'm a little bit confused by contradicting reports from your MP experiences playing the mod.

On the one hand you say:
Zombo wrote:Russia in our games can never be pushed back out of Poland in 1915 as historically
On the other hand:
Zombo wrote: I think the real problem is the Galician front. No sane AH player would have even attempt to cross the border. Instead, the wisest move is to abandon the border altogether and establish a short defence line on Lemberg. The first was completely unthinkable historically, the second makes Lemberg nearly impossible to take for the Russians, which is not much better.
You propose AH to have a less than optimal deployment yet point at the fact, that Poland can't be conquered by CP in 1915 in your MP games, which is kind of contradicting since the one suggestion ("make AH suffer") will most likely lead to the observation that "Poland can not be conquered in 1915". I'm at a loss here. :|

So, what will it be? You see, it's very unlikely any session will yield the exact same results as recorded in the history books given the large amount of randomness flying around. Events, combat results and the whims of the players (combined with a multitude of internal usage of the random number generator) will almost always stray off the course of historical events.

P.S. testing V.2.5 right now and things are looking good at least in SP. ^^
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

sorry about the confusion, I'll explain myself

The Russian front is kinda divided in two main sectors, one facing the AH in the Lemberg area, the other facing Prussia/ around Warsaw. Of course, they are not hermetically compartmentalised but practically you can't really reshuffle wildly. The things is, the Russians seems too weak facing the AH - well, in fact, the Russians are ok, but the AH are allowed a much too strong defensive posture, which ends up being the same - and facing Prussia, on the contrary, they are a little too strong defensively to accurately represent how brittle was their frontline once they had overextended. Of course, none of us ever ask for 100% historical results, or that wouldn't be a game at all. But statistically, both the AH/Russian and the Germans in Prussia/Russian balance of forces seem to be giving the wrong "feeling"...
basically the Russians never take Lemberg and the Germans never manage to clear a substantial part of Poland by the end of 1915. The front rigidifies too quickly approximately on the initial positions line
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Okay, I'll redesign both EastPrussia and Galician fronts which will (of course) delay V2.5 a little bit more. :P
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

Okay, I'll redesign both EastPrussia and Galician fronts
IMHO, Hindenburg should do the trick for the Germans

and the AH in Galicia appearing on the turn of the Russian attack, unentrenched and in a forward position would be ideal

keep up the good work, we're very much looking forward to it!
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Zombo wrote: IMHO, Hindenburg should do the trick for the Germans
But triggering Tannenberg for killing a Russian garrison/cavalry feels totally LAME imho.
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

I wouldn't link the appearance of Hindenburg to the Tannenberg event. For me, the event can remain as it is.
Currently, Hindenburg seems to be the result of Tannenberg, which is kinda weird when you think he is considered to be the cause ( with a bit of propagandistic simplification, but still...)
on top of that, it's also weird for the Germans to have to fight for your Tannenberg while basically leaderless, ( while the Russians have leaders - mediocre ones, for sure, but still) when the victory was for a good part a victory of Germany's expert generalship

So ideally, I think Hindenburg should appear early in order to provide that extra punch to make a Tannenberg possible - basically, as historically

So yes, probably not appearing due to a Russian unit destruction, but maybe after the first (second?) German hex has been invaded (and Prittwitz is given the boot)
moreauv

Post by moreauv »

tbh russia is a bit too op
the russian troops need some kind of nerf,since they have so much troops maybe make ah rely on superior german troops to wreck russia?
anyways this mod is still awesome and only reason i play this game anymore
nehi

Post by nehi »

i guess balancing mp is really tough job and result depends on who plays it... its better idea to let it be until core game is final (as long as any change can imbalance mp again)
Andreh
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Andreh »

Im having trouble with file dropper. Is it possible to have them somewhere?
glaude1955
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by glaude1955 »

I encounter the same problem.
Where to download the mod?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Oops, it seems the files were removed due to lack of downloads or time-out. I will re-upload the whole mod containing the latest 2.5 update and the seperate 2.5 update for players who already have earlier versions. 8)
Andreh

Post by Andreh »

great, thanx robotron
Robotron

Re: POTZBLITZ: a mod for CTGW UPDATE V2.5

Post by Robotron »

Finally, after a month's delay V2.5 is completed. See first post for details.

Enjoy!
Zombo

Re: POTZBLITZ: a mod for CTGW UPDATE V2.5

Post by Zombo »

Cool

dying to try it

BTW, how exactly does that Hindenburg thing work? you have to move the unit with Prittwitz behind the river?
What's the rationale?

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”