old Potzblitz thread (discontinued)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: POTZBLITZ: a mod for CTGW UPDATE V2.5

Post by nehi »

it seems robotron dislikes germans, deal with it :lol:
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

@majpalmer: I'm sorry, but without a complete logfile to look into I have no clue what might have caused such a drastic loss of morale.

Concerning railroads: I'm afraid raising the maximum range for railroad transport will cause the AI to go even more nuts with its unlimited rail movement. The AI having access to unlimited railroad transport is a major bug/design flaw which I'm unable to fix. Credits go to the original coder.

Concerning dreadnoughts: there is a morale bonus for Britain and Germany if one sinks a dreadnought/battlecruiser of the other but only if the kill was made by a battlecruiser/dreadnought.

BATTLE OF JUTLAND

Conditions
A British dreadnought or battlecruiser sinks a German dreadnought or battlecruiser.
or
A German dreadnought or battlecruiser sinks a British dreadnought or battlecruiser.

Effects
British victory:
Britain gains 1D6 morale points and loses 1 collapse point.
Germany loses 1D6 morale points.

German victory:
Germany gains 1D6 morale points and loses 1 collapse point .
Britain loses 1D6 morale points and suffers 1 collapse point.
Additionally there is a raised chance for the British Sea Blockade to be broken next turn.
majpalmer
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by majpalmer »

Okay. Great.
Started a new game as the CP. Lots of variability, which is super. Italians are coming, but did not enter the war in 1916. (I'm now into January 1916.) The Rumanians came in early, very early. But when they did, the Bulgarians came in early and marched into Bucharest. The Swedes also entered the war on my side. They haven't accomplished much, but there are about six major Russian units in Finland, which means I'm not facing them along the Eastern Front.

ersatz did kick in after Ii built the extra artillery factory. Raised German morale about 8. I'm still in the 30s, despite my successes. I'll attach a save and the log file in another message.

I just realized that the Swedish navy cannot bombard because it has no artillery production.

I did some modding myself and gave the Germans an extra 20PP a turn for Berlin. I don't see how else I could have managed to do much of anything without all these points. The Baltic convoy, which used to give me 100 PP whenever it arrived, now provides maybe 40. Even with the extra 20PP I have not been able to upgrade most of my German units.

One minor request. Can you mod in a warning for not moving the Senussi. For some reason I always forget.

Mike
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

30 morale? That's just crazy and shouldn't happen. How far did you advance into France and when did you trigger Tannenberg?
majpalmer

Post by majpalmer »

Files attached.
Attachments
ctgw.zip
(161.1 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
majpalmer

Post by majpalmer »

I hold the line (I'm attached the save file above) and hold the line that includes Antwerp, Brussels, Liege, and Reims. In the East, I took Warsaw and its fortress in 1914, and have advanced well past Brest Litovsk. I sank the Russian Dreadnought. And I kicked in the ersatz event with the extra artillery factory. I did get the "CP feel like their winning" event, and I do. But I kepe looking at my NM and I keep thinking I'm going to surrender. AH nm is about twice that of the Germans.

Mike
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

This is not a complete logfile, it's just from turn 26. I need a logfile that covers a full game beginning from the first turn, without restarting or reloading so I can see where the bug could be located.

As soon as you restart/reload a game the logfile will reset to the turn where you restarted. That's one of the many inconveniences when modding the game.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Also Sweden's navy of course can't bombard if you don't build some ammo factories in the first place. :wink:
majpalmer

Post by majpalmer »

Swedes cannot build an Ammo factory.

Mike
majpalmer

Post by majpalmer »

New crash. During AI naval pahse, in the Channel.

Files attached.

Also, check my line and my advances, and then my National Morale--8% in July 1916!

Mike
Attachments
ctgw.zip
(165.82 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

majpalmer wrote:Swedes cannot build an Ammo factory.

Mike
Pardon?
cwaters23
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by cwaters23 »

New end of turn crash that hit in summer of 1916... can't tell for sure what the script was trying to do, but it looks like something typhus-related (shouldn't be happening in 1916, right?). The crash occurred at the end of the AI phase. Last two lines in the crash log were:

[17:18:55][3668]TYPHCOINTER IS21
[17:18:55][3668][C]:-1(method Warp) std::exception: ''

See attached savegame and log files for details.
Attachments
ctgw.zip
(941 Bytes) Downloaded 74 times
AutoSaveEndTurn (2).zip
(161.32 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@cwaters: "Luckily" that's the same crash already encountered by majpalmer. To be specific it's about Stavka reorganizing in preparation for the Brussilov Offensive - the typhoid reference is only a check for testing purposes.
Btw: I see Germany's morale is still at 60 in your game, I wonder why majpalmer is always suffering from German bad morale then. Still had no time to playtest myself though (national holiday here in Germany) *hic!*.

fixed!

http://www.filedropper.com/v264bugfix
cwaters23

Post by cwaters23 »

Awesome, thanks... that was quick! Seems to have done the trick. Happy Unity Day!
Andreh
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Andreh »

Robotron, thank you so much for your mod.
I finally did a decent campaign, playing as entente, as Im a lousy player.
Had no crashes til 1916 when Germany surrendered. Even had an amphibious landing in Galipoli and Istambul which was pretty enjoyable.

Commentaries, not complaints!
Would be good if the game gave warning messages about NM variations, have no idea if that is possible.
Held Antwerp with the King and Belgium morale was in the 20s through most of the game, as it should be. After reconquering Belgium morale remained 20. Thinking about it, after a cruel war with so many deaths one shouldnt expect everybody to be happy, but some improvement after King Albert retaking Brussels, maybe.
Lost a few french hexes(4), Nm was down to 50, and there stayed after the Kaiser surrender. have the impression that after going down morale does not recover.

Probably not modable, but after Germany capitulation I would expect to be able to move my troops through their land to crush the Habsburgs, but couldnt move or use the rail.

Thank you again!
majpalmer

Post by majpalmer »

1916. I'm holding in the East and attacking in the West. I've taken Verdun and Paris! National Morale is at 14!

Save file attached.

Mike
Attachments
PotzCPBal4+20.zip
(168.46 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@majpalmer: I am aware of the German morale issue in your games but again: to fix that I need a complete logfile starting from turn one (to around turn 30 or so). You will either have to provide one yourself and upload it (don't reload or restart!) or wait until I have found time to do a several testgames myself, which will take a while. After all this mod is just a hobby project but unfortunately I can't shift my whole attention to extensive playtesting right now. For the same reason the PDF explaining the events is temporarily put on hold. I will of course try my best to fix game crashes.
nehi

Post by nehi »

cant be caused, mostly, by north sea blockade during past 2 years?

i believe it shouldnt be possible to be all morale sucked out just by events, i would split morale for two half, or parts, one roofed for events max 70% (or some cascade during years, 1914 max -40%, 1915 -50%, 1916 -60%, 1917 -70%, 1918 -80%) other for battleground achievements with minimum 50%

maybe killing, drastical reducing manpower, could have some influence too, but in situation ive seen in majpalmers game its really frustrating outcome, hes winning everywhere but pacifists are winning on home front 8)

germans proofed as the most warmongering nation of 20th century in europe just cant surrender cause of low morale in 1916 when advancing :lol:
majpalmer

Post by majpalmer »

I understand. I'm just providing feedback.

I think you've done a great job. I'm struggling to figure out how things work, because there are so many new variables.

I suspect that my old strategy of holding in the West and going all out in the East may be the problem. Now that I've switched back to the West, morale is improving.
majpalmer

Post by majpalmer »

Another minor thing I noticed. When I disband Small Garrisons I do not get back any Manpower Points. I do for other units, but not for the SGs.

Mike

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”