Big discussion about strategy/tactics gaming morality

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Psyx
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Big discussion about strategy/tactics gaming morality

Post by Psyx »

Musketeer wrote: It was ment like people who went through war dont play on it as far as I know. YMMV of course...
I think you may be giving soldiers and servicemen too much credit as regards empathy. I know plenty of military guys who LOVE blowing the crap out of things in first person shooters.
Musketeer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Musketeer »

There could be many reasons of course: so they could realize their sadistic fantasies about domination and torture, they are born fighters without remorse, they were already through shit and back and don't care (most men are later chewn by post war syndrome), they are psychos who like blowing stuff/killing (That "normal person" doesn't exists according to psychiatry), ... Hard to say. But blow someone's ass off because of next frag and order (virtual) bombing of Dresden with 1-2000+ bombers are two leagues altogether... But it happens in PC all the time - if we speak about 100-300 men per point... It sounds like Eichman's: "Dead of 1 man is a tragedy, but 5 millions of killed Jews it's just statistics!" so people today say: "It's just a game!", like it is an excuse for any bad behavior possible!
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

Musketeer wrote:There could be many reasons of course: so they could realize their sadistic fantasies about domination and torture, they are born fighters without remorse, they were already through shit and back and don't care (most men are later chewn by post war syndrome), they are psychos who like blowing stuff/killing (That "normal person" doesn't exists according to psychiatry), ... Hard to say. But blow someone's ass off because of next frag and order (virtual) bombing of Dresden with 1-2000+ bombers are two leagues altogether... But it happens in PC all the time - if we speak about 100-300 men per point... It sounds like Eichman's: "Dead of 1 man is a tragedy, but 5 millions of killed Jews it's just statistics!" so people today say: "It's just a game!", like it is an excuse for any bad behavior possible!

I just got to know, do you believe this stuff your shoveling, because it seems awful deep in here. :roll:
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
Musketeer

Post by Musketeer »

goose_2 wrote:
Musketeer wrote:There could be many reasons of course: so they could realize their sadistic fantasies about domination and torture, they are born fighters without remorse, they were already through shit and back and don't care (most men are later chewn by post war syndrome), they are psychos who like blowing stuff/killing (That "normal person" doesn't exists according to psychiatry), ... Hard to say. But blow someone's ass off because of next frag and order (virtual) bombing of Dresden with 1-2000+ bombers are two leagues altogether... But it happens in PC all the time - if we speak about 100-300 men per point... It sounds like Eichman's: "Dead of 1 man is a tragedy, but 5 millions of killed Jews it's just statistics!" so people today say: "It's just a game!", like it is an excuse for any bad behavior possible!
I just got to know, do you believe this stuff your shoveling, because it seems awful deep in here. :roll:
Playing PC and killing virtual soldiers (You said +/- "I play PC + mostly dominate" in previous post) and bombing virtual cities seems to work for you seems? Where is "Love thy VIRTUAL neigbour"?

Let me get is straight: you can do just the same like most genocidal maniacs in all history, because "it is just a game" right? If it helps you (FOR NOW) sleep better... Maybe you one day realize that mind in game and in reality WORKS EXACTLY THE SAME... ! (Read some psychology books.)
Last edited by Musketeer on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hurly
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by hurly »

Musketeer wrote:
goose_2 wrote:
Playing PC and killing virtual soldiers (You said +/- "I play PC + mostly dominate" in previous post) and bombing virtual cities seems to work for you seems? Where is "Love thy VIRTUAL neigbour"?
Interesting you are from the Czech Republic and worrying about the Love of your Virtual Neighbour, yet you seem to have no Problems with your Countries Stance regarding Refugees and refusing to give them Shelter from said War Atrocities.

Where is the Love for your Real Existing Neighbour ? A Neighbour in real Need for a Helping Hand and you babble about Virtual Morality. Wow that's really a gross Attitude on Display here.
Musketeer

Post by Musketeer »

Musketeer wrote:
goose_2 wrote:

Interesting you are from the Czech Republic and worrying about the Love of your Virtual Neighbour, yet you seem to have no Problems with your Countries Stance regarding Refugees and refusing to give them Shelter from said War Atrocities.

Where is the Love for your Real Existing Neighbour ? A Neighbour in real Need for a Helping Hand and you babble about Virtual Morality. Wow that's really a gross Attitude on Display here.

If you expect that I would argue with you about modern policy and EU you are wrong!
hurly

Post by hurly »

Do you really expect anyone would really get into a serious discussion with you after all the "intelligent" things you said in this thread ? :roll:
Musketeer

Post by Musketeer »

hurly wrote:Do you really expect anyone would really get into a serious discussion with you after all the "intelligent" things you said in this thread ? :roll:
Last edited by Musketeer on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hurly

Post by hurly »

Musketeer wrote: (i am not a bible crazy whacko btw.)
ah now we get to the Interesting Parts

is there a bible crazy whacko around here ?

Never noticed anyone here that fits to this description

But lately I notice a Lot of Attention Seekers
Musketeer

Post by Musketeer »

hurly wrote:
Musketeer wrote: (i am not a bible crazy whacko btw.)
ah now we get to the Interesting Parts
is there a bible crazy whacko around here ?
Never noticed anyone here that fits to this description
But lately I notice a Lot of Attention Seekers
It is much easier ta call me crazy then look into mirror and see shit in everybody shitty-self, right? I did it and looked into it and get my shit sorted so I don't have to vomit when seeing myself (this forum + stopped playing ALL games like this), can anyone else with clear conscience too say it? (i am not a bible-crazy-ass-whacko btw. ) Isnt it strange that for behaviour accentuated in MOST today games (killing, destroyage, mass killing and some more killing, ...) in reality people would get immediately arrested. What does it say about messed up humanity and people playing such games? Playing such things is just SOUL PROSTITUTION! And again, I am not some crazy Bible dude - I am materialistic selfish swine!

I am leaving to prove you wrong...
hurly

Post by hurly »

Well so we are all bad people around here, way to go, nobody seems to care about it.

Now you said it, nobody is feeling bad nobody will lose sleep over it nobody will stop playing this Game as it is just Fun to do it

Thanks for your opinion, you probably saved a lot of Souls in the Process, maybe not who knows

Now move on to another part of the Internet, there are many more Bad People desperately in need of your attendance to find their Path in becoming Good Human Beings

Have to go now, have to prepare for Burning in Hell in the not so distant Future for Playing Video Games
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

If there is a place to sign up as the Bible crazy whack job then sign me up. ;)

Stay Lutheran My Friends
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
milliethedog
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by milliethedog »

Hi Guys
In true Sparticus "No I 'm the Bible crazy whack job "

Martin
Musketeer

Post by Musketeer »

On the other hand, how is this all different from situation when person kills chicken to eat and live... Or When your body kills 30m viruses daily to survive... :idea: ?
ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by ptje63 »

As soon as game and politics get mingled in a discussion like this, the conversation turns into debate and exchanging names. Quit this please. Play PC and enjoy. If you feel remorse or any sort of other distaste, find another game which suits you. Im out of this thread. Berlin 1945 is waiting ;-).
Musketeer

Post by Musketeer »

I agree! Lets stay on games and tactics... ! And respect each other opinions and flaws and not generalize... !
Psyx

Post by Psyx »

Musketeer wrote: so people today say: "It's just a game!", like it is an excuse for any bad behavior possible!
Playing a game is not 'bad behaviour'.

Again, let's go back to how the game is 'bad' because one plays a high ranking Axis commander, yet would have been 'good' if the force was Allied? Seems a lot like arbitrarily drawing moral lines to me.
Panzerpimp
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Panzerpimp »

Today I learned:

- Playing Panzer Corps is a serious deontological moral question.
- Panzer Corps is eating my soul. :evil:
- Each Panzer Corps scenario is a moral fight to provide groundwork of the metaphysics of morals.
- There is no excuse for playing Panzer Corps. :cry:

:shock:

Good discussion nonetheless.
Attachments
Kant_Portrait.jpg
Kant_Portrait.jpg (13.14 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
Make love, not war.
Musketeer

Post by Musketeer »

It is as always question of personal opinion and morale and tons other factors... No need to be additionally depressive about reality ;). It is enough that we acknowledged and bring forward such moral dilemma - for me it is especially, that such strategy games bring only what is in war "fun and good" and make it look too abstract and without and devoid of all its suffering around on civilians etc. To me it seems that it makes people little too much indifferent to it...

Anyway, from another wine barrel: For example people from America may definitely look on last few scenarios on USA ground "little differently" as on others, yet people from EU not ? :idea:
best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by best75 »

This is a... interesting discussion
If there is a moral problem playing game with war then what about war movies?
After all there are such movies that only show the "fun and good" in wars. They only show the soldiers, no civilians.
What does it say about us when we watch these movies?
How can we be watching these movies morally?

Return to “Panzer Corps”