Derby Worlds 2017

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

madaxeman
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Derby Worlds 2017

Post by madaxeman »

We're delighted to be able to announce that the BHGS will be partnering with the new organisers of the long-running Derby World Show to provide our support to the competition elements of the Derby World Show this year.

The Derby Worlds Show has been a regular fixture on the UK and international competition circuit for longer than many of us have been rolling dice, going all the way back to the days when the show took place in the middle of the city and filled what seemed like every nook and cranny of the Assembly Rooms, subsequently moving out to the University and then even more recently relocating again to the racing circuit over in Castle Donington.

This year as many of you will already know the Derby Worlds Show will again be moving to another new venue in the shape of Bruntingthorpe Events Centre - a far more modern event venue than Castle Donington, and also the location for the UK's biggest collection of historic Cold War Jets at their onsite aviation museum.

This year's event will again feature one of the best trade shows in the country, together with a host of demo and participation games and a massive roster of events and competitions ranging from Historical to Fantasy, and from Skirmish to Mass Battle rulesets sets.

We are planning on hosting over 20 different competitions running over both one and two days, making this a massive weekend of wargaming with something to suit almost every gaming taste.

Events planned include:
Armati
DBMM
FoG - A/M
WAB
WRG 6th
WRG 7th
L'Art de LaGuerre
Impetus
Saga
Mortem et Gloriam
FoG - R
By Fire & Sword
Malifaux
Dystopian Wars
Firestorm Armada
BGMR
Warmachine
Warmaster
X -Wing
Bolt Action

​Currently we're collecting details from the umpires and theme-setters for each event and we will be publishing full details as soon as we have them on the new Derby World Show website - http://www.derbyworlds.com - so mark your diaries for the 7th and 8th of October 2017 !

Kevin is again setting themes for FoGR, and we expect to be able to post details soon

You can get in touch with the BHGS team via the BHGS website or by email to info@bhgs.org.uk . The Derby Worlds team can be reached at info@derbyworlds.com or 0800-6126-430”
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Derby Worlds 2017

Post by kevinj »

OK, here's my initial suggestion for themes. Any tweaks or alternative suggestions will be gratefully received. Other than restrictions imposed by the theme there will be no additional special conditions and we will use the rules as modified by the forthcoming update.

Pool 1 - 700 points, 25mm. The 30 Thirty Years War and English Civil War. Armies from Wars of Religion plus Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth, Later Ottoman and Early Gustavan Swedish dated from 1618-1649 only.
Permitted Armies:
Armies from Wars of Religion plus Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth, Later Ottoman and Early Gustavan Swedish dated from 1618-1649 only.

Pool 2 - 850 Points, 15mm. Age of the Tercio, covering the period where infantry evolved from Massed Pike to Pike and Shot All armies must include at least either:
2 Early Tercio GBGs, 3 Late Tercio BGs or 1 Early Tercio BG/GBG and 2 Late Tercio BGs.
Battle troops armed with Musket are not allowed.
Permitted Armies:
Trade and Treachery: Caroline Imperialist, Later Venetian, Early Imperial Spanish, Elizabethan English, Early Eighty Years War Dutch.
Clash of Empires: Vasa Swedish, Later Imperial Austrian.
Cities of Gold: Aviz Portugese

Pool 3 - 800 Points, 15mm. The Giants of Asia. The army used must contain at least 4 bases of Elephants.
Permitted Armies:
Any army from Colonies & Conquest that includes at least 4 bases of elephant battle troops.

So far we have the following likely teams:

1) Team France.
2) Team Wessex.
3) Don's International Mercenaries.
4) Bob and his Misfits.
5) The Burton/October Unholy Alliance.
6) Kevin, Stephen and Mystery Guest. (It's currently a mystery to us who might play)

Ideally, another 2 teams would be great, but the tournament is viable with 6. If you want to play, but aren't included in that list, please let me know.
kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj »

As there have been no alternative suggestions, I intend to finalise these as this year's themes unless there are any alternative suggestions by this weekend (20/21 May).
christophe
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by christophe »

I would prefer that in the pool 2, one can play opponents to the tercios (french war of religion, for example).
" A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire "
Le cid.
quackstheking
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by quackstheking »

I like the Tercio compulsory theme as it is innovative and one not seen before. If you open the comp up to Wars of Religion armies most will bring Huguenots with just their Keils. Forcing players to bring Tercios means we'll get to see some arquebus too!!!

Don
urbanbunny1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by urbanbunny1 »

yup, will be cool to see some tercios running around.

I did enjoy some of the USK comps with grand tercios and keils
christophe
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by christophe »

Hello.
Are the tournament themes validated ?
" A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire "
Le cid.
charles
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by charles »

And for the finalisation of "the new rules" for the tournament :?:
Denis
kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj »

I'm going to send the themes to the new organisers next week. The revisions should be finalised and published soon.
charles

Post by charles »

Tanks Kevin :wink:
Denis
Paulkit0
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Paulkit0 »

If places are still available Andy and I +! (possibly Will if available) would make up a 7th team.
madaxeman

Post by madaxeman »

Should be fine - the booking system is supposed to go live by the end of the month (or so I'm told)
kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj »

Here are the teams that I am aware of:

As definite as we can be:

Team France (defending Champions):
Denis Mercier + ??

Don's International Mercenaries:
Don Avis, Jim Gibson, John Munroe

Bob's Misfits
Bob Medcraft, Ben Jones, Steve Holt

The Team that needs a new name for this year:
Andy Kitcher, Stephen Stead, Kevin Johnson

Other possibles who are likely/have expressed interest:

Team Wessex
Bendan Morrissey, Patrick Morrissey + ?

The Burton/October Unholy Alliance:
Ray Boyles, Keith Spedding + ?

Currently available as a mercenary - Paul Kitcher.

I may have made some of those team names up. If anyone else is interested, or can confirm any possibles/fill in any blanks, please let me know.
madaxeman

Post by madaxeman »

Ruleset Name FoG Renaissance
Lead Organiser Name Kevin Johnson
Competition Format 3-player Team event, 1 player in each pool
Rules Rules used will include amendments in the current update.
Period/Theme options & restrictions

Pool 1 - 700 points, 25mm. The 30 Thirty Years War and English Civil War. Armies from Wars of Religion plus Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth, Later Ottoman and Early Gustavan Swedish dated from 1618-1649 only.
Permitted Armies: Armies from Wars of Religion plus Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth, Later Ottoman and Early Gustavan Swedish dated from 1618-1649 only.
This pool will use 40mm MUs for Movement, Shooting Ranges and Command Distances and 25mm MUs for Terrain size, Deployment zones and Flank areas.

Pool 2 - 850 Points, 15mm. Age of the Tercio. Covering the period where infantry evolved from Massed Pike to Pike and Shot. All armies must include at least either: 2 Early Tercio GBGs, 3 Late Tercio BGs or 1 Early Tercio BG/GBG and 2 Late Tercio BGs. Battle troops armed with Musket are not allowed.
Permitted Armies: Trade and Treachery: Caroline Imperialist, Later Venetian, Early Imperial Spanish, Elizabethan English, Early Eighty Years War Dutch. Clash of Empires: Vasa Swedish, Later Imperial Austrian. Cities of Gold: Aviz Portugese

Pool 3 - 800 Points, 15mm. The Giants of Asia. The army used must contain at least 4 bases of Elephants.
Permitted Armies: Any army from Colonies & Conquest that includes at least 4 bases of elephant battle troops.

Tournament Specific Conditions Assuming the revision is published in time there will be no additional conditions this year.

Pool Points Each pool has a nominal limit as shown above. However, players may donate up to 5 unused points to the other players in their team; e.g. A Pool 2 army is 844 points, the other players in that team may use up to 5 of those points in excess of the nominal maximum. No army may exceed the nominal limit by more than 10 points. No Team’s three armies may exceed 2350 points in total.
Points / army size Pool 1 : 700 Points, Pool 2 : 850 Points, Pool 3 : 800 Points

Figure Scale(s) 25mm in Pool 1, 15mm in both other pools

Lists submitted by September 23rd to: FOGR@derbyworlds.com
Table sizes required 6x4
Terrain To be provided by players in line with the standard rules.
Painting restrictions & minimum standards The organiser expects all figures to be painted and representative
Number of rounds per day 2 games on both Saturday & Sunday
Game duration 3.5 hours per game including a 0-15 minute variable period at the end of each round

The results from this event will be included in UK ranking system

Booking via the Derby Worlds site will be live shortly
Last edited by madaxeman on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 »

Tim

May I ask you to check the addition? I make 700 (Pool 1), plus 850 (Pool 2), plus 800 (Pool 3) 2,350 points so not sure how the 2,400 point limit per team works.

Tim
kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj »

That was probably my error. When I compiled this from last year's information I missed the revised total. It should of course be 2350 points.
rayd

Post by rayd »

Just to confirm that the October team for 2017 will be as last year: Lynette Maxim, Keith Spedding & Ray Boyles.
kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj »

I've had a query regarding Pool 3 and the armies permitted. For clarification:

For Pool 3 the main army chosen must be able to field 4 elephants. You may add any permitted ally. The army submitted must contain at least 4 elephants which may come from the main army or any ally. So for example:

Main army: Muslim Indian (2-6 Elephants)
Ally: Hindu Indian: (2-6 Elephants unless Rajput)

Your submitted army could have 2 elephants from the Muslim List and 2 from the Hindu, or all 4 from the Muslim list if your ally is Rajput.
viking123
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by viking123 »

I thought that booking for the Derby World's was going on line by the beginning of July but the website still says "shortly". Any idea when I can book the Misfits in.
madaxeman

Post by madaxeman »

viking123 wrote:I thought that booking for the Derby World's was going on line by the beginning of July but the website still says "shortly". Any idea when I can book the Misfits in.
I'm promised that they are on the case this week on the booking form, so it should be soon.

Return to “Tournaments ”