Exiting unneeded units.

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

jdarocha
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Exiting unneeded units.

Post by jdarocha » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:40 pm

Sometimes I will start a scenario with 5 fighter units, and as the scenario progresses, I will determine that I don’t need all five fighter squadrons so I park them in an airfield for the duration of the scenario.
My question is; if I don’t need the fighter squadrons can I just exit them off the scenario/board?
I know I can disband them but that’s not what I want to do.
I want to exit them from the current scenario and back to my reserve list. Can that be done? For any unit?
Thanks in advance,
Halder

wargovichr
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Exiting unneeded units.

Post by wargovichr » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:30 pm

Wouldn't it have been great to be able to exit one or more units, especially if badly weakened and then substitute and make active and bring into the game standby full-strength units.
That would have been an ideal thing to add as a patch to say 1.40 but alas, no, we're going to get 3D units instead.
Award a unit swap as a reward for an upper echelon medal (or more ammo, more fuel, etc)!
Oh...sorry...I got excited for Panzer Corps for a moment....zzzzzzz.

jdarocha

Post by jdarocha » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:35 pm

So, the simple answer is, no, I can,t exit units.
Here is my issue, I usually start a campaign with a large wing of fighters deployed, once I have air superiority, I would like to make room on my airfields to add some bombers, but I can't (especially if I only have 2 airfields) because my airfields are clogged with fighters.
I was hoping I could exit them out, but not.
hmph.
Halder

hurly
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by hurly » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:40 am

It is actually possible to exit units in the Game.

The Exit feature is used in several scenarios (E.g. Allied Corps, US Corps Soviet Corps and a few in GC West and that's just the ones that I can think of right now)

Why is it not there all the Time ?

Well maybe the Map Designers just want you to make good decisions how to set up your Army for a certain Scenario and find a good balance for your available Slots. And then you have to get along with it. The Exit feature can affect the Complexity and Difficulty of a Scenario a lot, especially since you can bring back the evacuated Units on the Next Turn (but not with Replacements) at very different Places (not sure if its only your Starting Spots of a Scenario or in occupied City Hexes as well)

Ever thought about that ?

Tagaziel
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Tagaziel » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:53 am

I used to wish for that feature until I remembered my Panzer General and used the fighters for strafing enemy units. They deal little damage, but that -1 to entrenchment per attack is damn handy when dislodging infantry and dealing with late scenario units.

Plus, you get experience, which is something I find extremely useful. PG2 and the landing in America taught me a thing or two about leveling up your fighters when the P-51s... Wrecked my army.

rubyjuno
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by rubyjuno » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:31 pm

I've also wished for this feature in the past, but I came to realise that it would make the game easier. Having no option to exit units and bring in other units for them means that you need to think carefully about your core for each scenario and look after them (including when and how to replace losses). This element would be reduced should you be allowed to change units around mid-scenario.

wargovichr

Post by wargovichr » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:57 pm

No need to totally exaggerate the possibility of exiting a unit and bringing in a substitute unit. This might be limited to ONE or TWO units per battle and may be linked to (as I said in an earlier post) a higher echelon medal award. Require the exiting unit to exit from a city hex and you can even have the substitute unit come in from the map edge, possibly by rail.
The old saw from staff is that even one such unit disrupts the balance and outcome of a battle.
Don't forget the AI spams the hell out of you -- that's very unnatural (!) especially when two or three star experienced units spawn which is totally against the rules that you are required to adhere to! You must buy a totally inexperienced unit. Or, like scripted enemy ground and air units that pop up out of no where and totally disrupt your game!
I'm fine with it. Allow limited substitutions.
Patch 1.40.
Make Panzer Corps fun again.

hurly

Post by hurly » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:08 am

wargovichr wrote:No need to totally exaggerate the possibility of exiting a unit and bringing in a substitute unit. This might be limited to ONE or TWO units per battle and may be linked to (as I said in an earlier post) a higher echelon medal award. Require the exiting unit to exit from a city hex and you can even have the substitute unit come in from the map edge, possibly by rail.
The old saw from staff is that even one such unit disrupts the balance and outcome of a battle.
Don't forget the AI spams the hell out of you -- that's very unnatural (!) especially when two or three star experienced units spawn which is totally against the rules that you are required to adhere to! You must buy a totally inexperienced unit. Or, like scripted enemy ground and air units that pop up out of no where and totally disrupt your game!
I'm fine with it. Allow limited substitutions.
Patch 1.40.
Make Panzer Corps fun again.
it is easily possible to exit more than 1 or 2 Units via the Exit hexes, definitely harder for units that are groundbound or really slow ones, but any air units or airborne/airlifted units can reach them easily with their 10+ range.

So the original question was "Why can I not exit Fighters from a battle ?"

The obvious answer is "you can !"

the not so obvious answer is "you can, but the Map designer does not want you to !"

now you can whine and moan all you want, it is a feature that is there in Panzer Corps, but not a feature present for every map in fact it is a feature used sparingly and that's it. There are Maps where you are not allowed any Air Units, there is at least one where you are not allowed any tanks. There is a Campaign where you can retain only 9 units from your core and what not ....

That's the Task --- the Map Designer gives you a challenge --- you have to solve it with the Ground Rules coming with the Scenario

There is certainly no need to fall back to the Level of Trumpisms discussing it.

wargovichr

Post by wargovichr » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:53 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah...blah-blah-blah...don't change a thing. Guess what? The staff have issued patches! Corrections, improvements, adding units, upgrading units, correcting maps. Get the picture? Geez. Adds to the excitement of replayability and "what if" factor. That did NOT lead to a complete revamp of each and every battle.
I'm for counterfactual, innovation and flexibility of command. Maybe you prefer to read a history book then? Guess WHAT? Ho-hum.The Germans lost!
Trump. TRUMP?! Who brought politics into this? I did not.

TSPC37730

Post by TSPC37730 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:38 pm

I in no way expect a means to exit unneeded units to be added to the current PC game. This could be an interesting addition for PC2, however, which is currently in the works. Further, the amount of exits you could make per scenario could be tied to the difficulty levels. For now though, it's nothing more than a wish unfortunately.

Return to “Panzer Corps”