pyrrhic list question

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

pyrrhus
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

pyrrhic list question

Post by pyrrhus »

I just noticed this the minimum cavalry in a early pyrrhic list is 8 heavy cav .When comparied to other hellenistic / greek lists it is one of the highest minimums allowed is this correct ? It makes a 650 pts list very problematic 136pts in cavalry is a big chunk of points . is this a typo ? just asking :D
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: pyrrhic list question

Post by rbodleyscott »

pyrrhus wrote:is this a typo ?
No
pyrrhus
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by pyrrhus »

why so much cav as a minimum?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

pyrrhus wrote:why so much cav as a minimum?
I cannot recall the thinking exactly. Probably to ensure that the army contains both lancers and light spear cavalry in the earlier period. And of course the minimum normal Cavalry BG size is 4. The overall total minima do not exceed the normal total minima for a list.
pyrrhus
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by pyrrhus »

I would have to respectfully disgree with you , but I can see how your hands were tied by the minimum of 4 stands for cav . Just as note in the alexander list not even the thessalians have a minia of 4 they are totaly optional which seems strange as they were at almost every major battle . I am taking them any way just wanted to know your thoughts
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

pyrrhus wrote:I would have to respectfully disgree with you ,
Don't worry about it - the chances of getting complete agreement on something as wooly as army lists is nil :shock:
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
pyrrhus
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by pyrrhus »

not worried If I cant use the list I will use another one .Thanks for your time guys
will05
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by will05 »

I believe the Thessalians mostly went home at about India, weren't the remainder and that of the prodomoi enlisted into the companion cav.
Quintus
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Quintus »

Unfortunately army lists can only be a guide, and their intention is merely to give people a guide. It is difficult to agree on them, and it's a shame that so much store is necessarily set in them for the purposes of competitions or anachronistic encounters (which appears to dominate the hobby).

In the case of Pyrrhus he was an ambitious and capable warrior king whose country lacked resources. Consequently he was forever looking for power bases to further his ambitions. That goes some way to explaining his strategy and adventures where he appears to chop and change and be inconstant. As a result his armies were very varied in nature, possibly consisting entirely of Greek mercenaries drilled as phalangites when he returned to Italy from Sicily. No army list has ever been satisfactory with regard to Pyrrhus as far as I can see. What at least this one does is to provide "a taste" of the Epirot king's forces, unfortunately it is not a very satisfactory one from my point of view.

One solution I have found is to research an army such as Pyrrhus' and look for a similar army list that might be used to give a fair approximation of it. If you look at the Ptolemaic Egyptian and the Early Successor lists you may well find that you can design a satisfactory "Pyrrhic" wargames army. I have.

Unfortunately that means that your army will not be recorded as "Pyrrhic" in any competition, but at least you'll know what it was supposed to be.
pyrrhus
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by pyrrhus »

whats your list and how many points . I was looking at both of those aswell I 'd be really interested in what other pyrrhic generals are using and what tactics work best . ( do you use the EL's as a second line reserve?) :D
Quintus

Post by Quintus »

pyrrhus wrote:whats your list and how many points . I was looking at both of those aswell I 'd be really interested in what other pyrrhic generals are using and what tactics work best . ( do you use the EL's as a second line reserve?) :D
I'll get in touch with you.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

I detect perfidious Pyrrhic plotting ... :lol:
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
pyrrhus
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by pyrrhus »

heheheheh :D "The Eagle has Landed"

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”