Bru's Scenarios

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Bru's Scenarios

Post by bru888 »

ctskelly wrote:Hi Bru,

I haven't played the Oahu update but in the first version it was quite easy to win by falling back and sending units up the flanks and cutting the main Japanese army off from supply. They did not leave any troops in the north to protect their supply lines.
Yes, that's probably still true. However, play this version and see what you think. The reason is, the Japanese move much faster now. The main task in this scenario is surviving the initial attack. Once that is blunted, then one way or the other the Japanese can be defeated, given enough time. I've been wondering: Is 50 turns enough? It used to be 60 but I cut it back in this version. If you do play Oahu Invasion again, please let me know about this.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

The Aleutian Crisis is finished. For now. As usual, I spent way too much time on details (which I hope are interesting) and not enough time on balanced gameplay. Maybe you folks can play it and offer opinions, if you wish. As for me, I'm sick of looking at it! So, while I promise to listen and take notes, I don't promise to agree and do as suggested until I am over my temporary aversion to all things Aleutian. :wink:

As I did with Oahu Invasion (see earlier in this thread), I have included playing tips for The Aleutian Crisis in the Information folder in the scenario zip file and I attached them here:
The Aleutian Crisis Scenario Playing Tips.zip
(3.61 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
- Bru
best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by best75 »

Sweet I will get to playing it as soon as I can
best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by best75 »

Bru could you clear something up and Spoilers for the scenario for anybody that has not played the first part

I went down the route of trying to end the battle humanity. I killed the japanese general and the first part of the scenario has ended with the japanese forces surrendering as soon as he died. However from the event popup before I thought I still had to capture the Four As, which I didn't.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

best75 wrote:Bru could you clear something up and Spoilers for the scenario for anybody that has not played the first part

I went down the route of trying to end the battle humanity. I killed the japanese general and the first part of the scenario has ended with the japanese forces surrendering as soon as he died. However from the event popup before I thought I still had to capture the Four As, which I didn't.
Yes you did capture the Four A's. Look again; they are "auto-captured" for you so you can move on to the next part of the scenario. I will change the message where you get the impression that you still need to go to each of those four islands after that, which is what I was trying to avoid with this "shortcut."

EDIT: Okay, the message is changed. I also updated the text file list of Forces (in the Information folder) on which I left out the Canadians! Not that they do much, but they are quite willing and can help in a pinch.
- Bru
best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by best75 »

Spoilers for part 2

I am at turn 23 and I done part 1 on turn 7 so its turn 16 of the soviet invasion. The air and naval part is going well as I destroyed many soviet air units and my naval is moving up the coast of Alaska to destroy those supply ships but the land part is not going as well. I been using the B24 liberators to try to support my land forces but the few units I been given are getting close to being overrun .

bru888

Post by bru888 »

best75 wrote:Spoilers for part 2

I am at turn 23 and I done part 1 on turn 7 so its turn 16 of the soviet invasion. The air and naval part is going well as I destroyed many soviet air units and my naval is moving up the coast of Alaska to destroy those supply ships but the land part is not going as well. I been using the B24 liberators to try to support my land forces but the few units I been given are getting close to being overrun .
You don't know how happy I am to hear that you are having trouble! I mean, uh, hmmm. Best of luck! :roll: [Seriously, help is about to arrive just in the nick of time.]
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

bru888 wrote:I am going to outrage any female members of our community by likening this process to childbirth. Of course, I have no direct knowledge of that topic, but for me, scenario design reminds me of what I have only heard and imagined about giving birth: intense labor; much pain; loud shrieking at times; an overwhelming desire just get it over and done with; vows of "never again" only to be followed by forgetfulness of all the preceding; hope that the baby is fine and healthy; and shortly thereafter, a desire to have another one.
I liked this so much from The Aleutian Crisis announcement thread that I decided to copy it here for posterity as that thread fades into obscurity. Who knows? It may do me some good to read this again the next time I am shrieking at the Scenario Editor. :)
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Erik2 wrote:Re Bismarck.

I guess this will be a single player scenario with the player in control of the German ships?
Then keeping them alive vs 68 enemy units should be a perfect challenge. Go for it boy! :D
Inspiration. Not what I originally intended, but inspiration.

So, it's 5AM and I am sleeping fitfully. "zzzzz . . . how do I make this challenging and fun . . . zzzzzz . . . conducting a huge British fleet hunting two ships? . . . zzzzz . . . play from the German side . . . ZZZsnork . . . play from the GERMAN side!" Blink. Ideas begin to flow; notepad and pen are in hand. Sleep time over. :wink:

Of course, I cannot call it Sink the Bismarck any more. How about Sink the Bismarck - I Hope Not? Maybe Save the Bismarck? :?
- Bru
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

bru I have the same like you hahahaha!!!! with OOB
bru888

Post by bru888 »

calmhatchery wrote:bru I have the same like you hahahaha!!!! with OOB
It's an illness, I tell you! :( But a benign one. :wink:
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

The working title is Voyage of the Bismarck. I will go out on a limb here to state that this will be the first OOB scenario to feature a volcano, unless somebody did a scenario in Sicily. :wink:
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (58.67 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
- Bru
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

If the Eyja... volcano is in eruption, planes cannot take off (Weather Effect) ? :wink:
bru888

Post by bru888 »

terminator wrote:If the Eyja... volcano is in eruption, planes cannot take off (Weather Effect) ? :wink:
No, nothing as dramatic as that. I am going to use it as an "omen" for the Bismarck as it cruises past Iceland in the beginning of its fateful voyage. Is it a good omen or bad? I am hoping the scenario player will be able to determine that with equal possibility.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

bru888 wrote:I am going to use it as an "omen" for the Bismarck as it cruises past Iceland in the beginning of its fateful voyage. Is it a good omen or bad? I am hoping the scenario player will be able to determine that with equal possibility.
Here, how's this for starting off with a bang? :)
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (505.51 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Well, the Voyage of the Bismarck map is finished except for a few tweaks and more units, of course. It looks better "live" than in this preview:
preview.png
preview.png (128.1 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Sharp eyes may detect: "Say, that sea voyage and battle took place in May. Is that snow on the ground in England and France?" Why, yes. Yes indeed. I beg your indulgence on that - call it a climate anomaly - because Greenland and Iceland were looking way too green with normal climate, so I used Winter for this map.

Perhaps you will agree that the United Kingdom looks quite beautiful in its mantle of snow? :roll:
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (375.83 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (415.09 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
One thing is for sure. There's plenty of open sea to play in! :wink:
- Bru
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Cataphract88 »

Britain looks very Dickensian. :wink:
Richard
bru888

Post by bru888 »

catbasket wrote:Britain looks very Dickensian. :wink:
A compliment indeed, sir. Thank you.
- Bru
steevodeevo
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by steevodeevo »

I can't wait for Bismark.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

steevodeevo wrote:I can't wait for Bismark.
Thank you. Now that I have returned from Beta World, I will be able to work on this some more. The map is done and the ideas are in place. Now it's just designing the triggers to make it happen.
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”