superiority of Pyrrhic army

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Aryaman
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

superiority of Pyrrhic army

Post by Aryaman »

Hi
I think the second tournament results so far has shown a clear superiority of the Pyrrhic army over the Roman army, since everytime both players won each won of the battles, they all won with the Pyrrhic army.
JaM2013
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: superiority of Pyrrhic army

Post by JaM2013 »

which kinda suggests balance is a bit off towards Romans... Their main strength is set against them in FoG2.. they had number advantage, yet because their units are smaller, pikemen army has advantage.. i think unit cost should also take into account number of men in unit..
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

JaM2013 wrote:which kinda suggests balance is a bit off towards Romans... Their main strength is set against them in FoG2.. they had number advantage, yet because their units are smaller, pikemen army has advantage.. i think unit cost should also take into account number of men in unit..
It does actually.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Well the Romans did lose battles to Pyrhuss, but caused him much grief and seems the way many of those MP game went.

Was it Plutarch that wrote that instead of teeth, he had one large "rim" of solid bone in which he had "teeth lines" drawn?
JaM2013

Post by JaM2013 »

they lost first one(Heraclea), while the second one (Asculum) was celebrated as victory by both sides... third one (Maleventum/Beneventum) was clear victory for Romans..
JaM2013

Post by JaM2013 »

jomni wrote:
JaM2013 wrote:which kinda suggests balance is a bit off towards Romans... Their main strength is set against them in FoG2.. they had number advantage, yet because their units are smaller, pikemen army has advantage.. i think unit cost should also take into account number of men in unit..
It does actually.
I know it is, but i think it should be improved a bit, based on more aspects...
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

JaM2013 wrote:they lost first one(Heraclea), while the second one (Asculum) was celebrated as victory by both sides... third one (Maleventum/Beneventum) was clear victory for Romans..
So? Perhaps the roman players need to pay three games in a row against a Pyrrhic army so they can learn form their mistakes. I know I would like to play that tournament battle again ;)
JaM2013

Post by JaM2013 »

my point is if its too one-sided, then there is some balance problem.. because in reality, these battles were close calls, with heavy losses on both sides.
JaM2013

Post by JaM2013 »

From historical perspective - while Pyrrhus had a lot of veterans from Epirus and Macedonia, Roman army was not inexperienced, most of them fought against Samnites in quite intense conflict, therefore had plenty of combat experience. (only rookies would be young Hastati, but Principes were old enough to have combat experience from Third Samnite war which ended in 290BC)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

JaM2013 wrote:my point is if its too one-sided, then there is some balance problem.. because in reality, these battles were close calls, with heavy losses on both sides.
That is certainly how both my battles played out.
Richard Bodley Scott

MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 »

The early list Romans vs Pike armies definitely have the onus on the Romans executing a more complicated game plan and has a higher skill floor required.

Not necessarily unbalanced though. If would be interesting to see a pike vs early Roman matchup in round 3 of a tournament and see how the top ranked players do
Stratford Scramble Tournament

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=494&t=99766&p=861093#p861093

FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/
MaxDamage
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by MaxDamage »

they have huge phalanxes and lance armored shock cavalry so what did you expect. As good as it gets back then.

also i would humbly note that romans are not required to auto win 24/7 365 on sight in all games

Return to “Field of Glory II”