Massive Online Roleplaying game

Got a great idea for a game - why not post it here!

Moderator: Slitherine Core

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

To be brutally honest - nobody is going to take a game idea and make it into a game. It just doesnt work like that. The only way you will see your game made is if you work on it yourself. That means you need to come up with something small, simple but original and fun.
kyle
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Thank you

Post by kyle »

for everyone's time
The victors cause is pleasing to the gods.
But girls favor the vanquished.
-- UNKOWN
Blood, Guts, Gore, the more of these in games the better.
anguille
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by anguille »

The game idea is nice. I've been playing some kind of game like that. It takes place in the medieval times in France (the game is in french). The theme is important but also the option to discuss with others (forum). Good luck with your idea.
kyle

Thanks Anguille

Post by kyle »

I have to say Great battles of Rome: tactical game by Haemimont is a junk game.
anguille

Re: Thanks Anguille

Post by anguille »

kyle wrote:I have to say Great battles of Rome: tactical game by Haemimont is a junk game.
What do you mean junk? the game has been released only in spain and italy so far, so how do you know?
kyle

I'm sorry

Post by kyle »

anguille wrote:
kyle wrote:I have to say Great battles of Rome: tactical game by Haemimont is a junk game.
What do you mean junk? the game has been released only in spain and italy so far, so how do you know?

Anguille, I don't want to come across as a fool, but most games that are coming out today are below the graphics quality that should be expected by new teams, for new games.

As I have stated before I hate Bungie, due to the fact that they could have pushed the in-game graphical envolope with Halo 2.

If a "Fluid Enviroment" ever is actually made, simulations would be a hundred times better than they are now. I know I addressed the "Fluid Enviroment" idea as a landscape modifier. The real beauty of it lies in the fact that it doesnt have to be used in landscapes, but the whold game itself.

I read a book by Steven Presfield, "Gates of Fire"

in this book a soldier recounted the aftermath of a battle. Of course he mentioned the carnage, that's not what I was intrigued by. What caught my attention was when he described the trenches that ran parallel to the battlefield where men were being pushed and shoved throughout the course of the battle.

I don't recall this soldier ever stating a exact depth of these trenches, So I will guess. A plausible guess to the depth might have been 6"-1'.

If any of you people are familiar with this Book, then you'll know that it is a novel about the spartans and their allies who fought at the battle of thermoplayee.

Once you know that fact, A hoplite would carry a body shield. This shield would cover his knees up to his neck-line.

Lets say a battle like that described from the Gates of Fire took 4 to 8 hours. In my game the battle system will employ a time function that will calculate a variable, that will calculate how long one soldier or a group of soldiers is standing over a certain spot of ground.

If they are moving about a certain area of land long enough their shields will hit the ground causing them to stutter, once this stutter affect happens the enemy has the option of disarming the shield easily.

I hope I answered your question Anguille.
kyle

On a positive note

Post by kyle »

I don't mind the way slitherine is handling the graphics issue, since they can't afford it, unlike that of Bungie
fatetriarrii
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by fatetriarrii »

Well, the key thing I think you are missing, kyle, is the level of the game. By level, I mean level os simlulation. All games are simulations on some level (life is too, thinking about it that way, but thats philosophy, not today's topic). If you notice, Slitherine's game has squads of around 25 - 45 soldiers. Now, let us examine history. I believe I have never heard of a roman "force" smaller than 4 - 5 thousand soldiers. The maximum you can get in LA is almost 1 thousand. That means that, in general, the size of the armies in game are less than one fifth, if not one tenth, the real numbers. That means that, judgeing soldiers alone, each figure represents at least five to ten guys.

The point behind the rambling is that no game can achieve the level of realism you want (excepting maybe big games). I am suprised at just how much slitherine has done already. Changing the landscape, I know, is a really big thing with the way most games handle graphics, and is extremely hard to do. Just remember, quality of gameplay trumps all, I would rather play a woderful game in command prompt than a terrible one that looks like real life (or better).
kyle

You are right

Post by kyle »

fatertriarrii, playing a strong game is better than playing one with crappy graphics.

I actually don't mind the fact that slitherine has downsized the unit sizes. Actually I like the way they do it.
tora_tora_tora
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by tora_tora_tora »

It seems somekind of breakthrough in technology is needed.

In fact, there was a game which depicts every bid of real life into virtual-world exists in Japan.
(At least, the developpers say so.)

And to my saddness, the game couldnot succeed commercially.

and this is the game. Not PC game, its for consumer game platform, acutually SEGA's swan song for dreamcast.

シェンムー
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASI ... 60-5110313
kyle

Thanks tora_tora_tora

Post by kyle »

but I can't understand a thing, lol.

The site is in Japanesse, is there a way to convert it to english (USA)?
screamotrance
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by screamotrance »

tora_tora_tora

Post by tora_tora_tora »

Thank you, screamotrance, I always forget there are SEGA in USA.

And Shenmue is for one-player only, not MMO, though its feature is basically free-playing virtual reality world.
Even sky changes hour by hour, and can play old SEGA game at arcade.

By the way, I finished translating at last. And now, it's time for playing Gate of Troy Demo version.
kyle

Ya thanks screamontrance

Post by kyle »

I got a friend at college who might have this game
kyle

what gladitorial games have you people played?

Post by kyle »

myself I've played Gladius, Colloseum: Road to freedom and couple others that I can't remember.

I thought both games were awesome.

The downside to gladius was the fact that you had to train so many different types of warriors both male and female. I got stuck halfway through the first part of the game because I didn't have a certian type of woman warrior.
kyle

Virtual Reality

Post by kyle »

I never envisioned using that in the game. Though it could be an awesome experience. actually running through the countryside could be sweet. seeing the blood gushing from the stump of a neck like a water fountain. I hope none of this is too vivid?
kyle

Producers this is for you

Post by kyle »

I just enlisted some help, and I was wondering if I could borrow some of your work if I acredited you first?
placidia
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

ok im here

Post by placidia »

hello kyle i am posting this reply and am wondering if this should be used for copying chat or for continueing chat or both
placidia

i am posting

Post by placidia »

hello kyle i want to know if we should put our chat here or continue chat here instead or both.

Placidia(Korey)
kyle

hey this is my forum ip

Post by kyle »

http://s11.invisionfree.com/Project_Rome/index.php

If any of you liked my ideas on my Project Rome please come here. This forum will be where I collect all of the info I need to compile to be able to weed out crapy ideas in the game.

Return to “Game Ideas”