Paratroopers zero supply turns after parachuting - bug?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Oleksandr
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Paratroopers zero supply turns after parachuting - bug?

Post by Oleksandr »

A question to developers - paratroopers now cannot operate being cut off from supplies anymore; first turn after parachuting the number on the right which shows the amount of turns for which they will be able to operate without supplies is zero. Is it a bug?
Attachments
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (894.36 KiB) Viewed 3512 times
Last edited by Oleksandr on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oleksandr
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Paratroopers no supply after parachuting - bug?

Post by Oleksandr »

Actually, now I can see that on the first turn after parachuting the unit has a full supply - and on the next turn it shows a number zero and the efficiency starts falling. Maybe this is a new mechanics? If yes - maybe developers could explain that to us? :) On the screenshot is first turn after parachuting
Attachments
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (973.6 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
Last edited by Oleksandr on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oleksandr
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Paratroopers no supply after parachuting - bug?

Post by Oleksandr »

And by the way - if I try to edit a scenario and add a paratrooper unit in the middle of enemy territory, here's how it looks in the deployment phase:
Attachments
Screenshot 5.jpg
Screenshot 5.jpg (438.17 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Paratroopers zero supply turns after parachuting - bug?

Post by Erik2 »

You can't deploy para units in transports.
You need to spawn the para unit, either at start or on a given turn.
Attachments
paras.jpg
paras.jpg (79.52 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
Oleksandr
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Oleksandr »

Thanks for the answer Erik, but that wasn't my question... I guess I am describing it too vaguely, but I do not know how else to do it... The problem is a change in out of supply mechanics... Units which have "supply stash" property now have the number of supply turns 0, if they end in an enemy territory. Previously they had 4 turns, during which they had their own limited supply. It has not been described in patch notes, so I am confused.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

I can see your point Oleksander, it shows 4 fuel in deployment mode, but that doesn't seem to carry over when they paradrop in action?

Which year/type are they? Fallschrimjager 39?
Oleksandr
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Oleksandr »

Shards wrote:I can see your point Oleksander, it shows 4 fuel in deployment mode, but that doesn't seem to carry over when they paradrop in action?

Which year/type are they? Fallschrimjager 39?
Correct, here is what happens to a unit which has a "supply stash" property:

Turn 1 after paradropping (or after a unit has been cut off from supply) efficiency is 10.

Turn 2 a green zero icon appears on the right and efficiency is 8.

Turn 3 a green zero icon remains on the right and efficiency is 7.

Next turns: continuous drop of efficiency.

Maybe now it is designed to be this way, so that at first turn unit can operate at full efficiency? It makes sense I guess - then unit with "supply stash" can be cut off from supply for one full turn without any consequences for efficiency, but from turn 2 efficiency starts to drop. Previously they would use their "supply stash" for 4 turns, but even from turn 1 their efficiency was somewhat lowered, as far as I remember?

Oh, and this happens for fallschirmjager 39, 44 and 45 (these ones I checked), as well as japanese paratroopers (I don't remember exact unit) - so I guess this is a change in mechanics? At least it would be hard for developers and best testers to not notice such kind of a bug :D
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

I know that Adherbal was experimenting with supply and cut off units to make being cut off for one turn less punishing. I'd be interested to compare that behaviour to that of a tank that was cut off in 5.2.2
Oleksandr
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Oleksandr »

Shards wrote:I know that Adherbal was experimenting with supply and cut off units to make being cut off for one turn less punishing. I'd be interested to compare that behaviour to that of a tank that was cut off in 5.2.2
I just tried to do that (numbers on the left of units are efficiencies of the respective unit):

Turn 1: Fallschirmjager 10, Tank 8
Turn 2: Fallschirmjager 8, Tank 7
Turn 3: Fallschirmjager 7, Tank 5
Turn 4: Fallschirmjager 5, Tank 4
Turn 5: Fallschirmjager 4, Tank 2
Turn 6: Fallschirmjager 2, Tank 1
Turn 7: Fallschirmjager 1, Tank 0
Turn 7: Fallschirmjager 0, Tank 0
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Oleksandr wrote:A question to developers - paratroopers now cannot operate being cut off from supplies anymore; first turn after parachuting the number on the right which shows the amount of turns for which they will be able to operate without supplies is zero. Is it a bug?
Okay, so at least the paratroopers mechanic is working again. Just tested on v5.2.9 (official steam) and it works. Thank you.
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

Gabe, you scared me by digging up that old topic! :shock:
I was already afraid all this waiting was for nothing, but I'm glad it's finally working again. It would have been ashaming with the new Marines fuel settings! Better a secret fix than no fix! :P
gunnyjs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gunnyjs »

We need to give paras a Navy Seal supply/efficiency mode for 3 turns or so ??

Anyway, I did play this scenario that at the setup phase one could buy a para unit and place it on an airfield then click on that unit and pay for it to be put into a plane and then move the plane one hex over so that I can buy another para unit and do the same thing all in the setup phase. This last comment though may not pertain to anything in this thread but I read something about not deploying paras in transports ... ok wait .. let me verify it brb going to restart the scenario ..

Ok I was able to deploy paras in transports before starting the scenario at the deployment phase twice I took a video of this the 2nd one much shorter but Youtube keeps saying the video is longer than 15 minutes and wants my phone number so that the entire web can have it which I am not going to do but anyway I suppose if a designer happens to set up a scenario that way it can be done or something
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Damn, I was really hoping you'd fall for the phone number so I can finally call you!

Return to “Order of Battle Series”