POTZBLITZ V9.51 AUG23th 2019

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Robotron
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by Robotron » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:45 pm

So, how did the game end? Rage-quit, huh?
Slitherine's Commander the Great War on steroids: POTZBLITZ mod!
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610

nehi
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
Posts: 720
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by nehi » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:30 pm

Robotron wrote:So, how did the game end? Rage-quit, huh?
why? it just stopped russia for a while, all ai waves bleeded out on barbed wires

but i guess its just too harsh, +100 down to -50 in like 5 turns, when russians owned hungary and half of austria and were pasive in their trenches

i wanted to point out, that even i followed all ways to make it softer and punched out austria before crisis started, it lasted long and production went in negative numbers fast (later it was -100 or so until i got polivanov)

only difference i figured out between first and second run was that it started 6 months later

Robotron
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by Robotron » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:05 pm

This
nehi wrote:it just stopped russia for a while
and this
nehi wrote:but i guess its just too harsh
does not make much sense to me. Sounds to me you are complaining about not being able to steamroll the AI in record time.
Did you choose "Russian Surprise Attack" or tried "Full Russian mobilization"?
nehi wrote:i wanted to point out, that even i followed all ways to make it softer and punched out austria before crisis started, it lasted long and production went in negative numbers fast (later it was -100 or so until i got polivanov)
only difference i figured out between first and second run was that it started 6 months later
Did those 6 months allow you to take out Austria before the Crisis?

If we'd allow Russia to use her full potential unhindered then Russia would utterly crush CP.
I don't see any other way how to handle this problem than by handicapping Russia with the Crisis event.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War on steroids: POTZBLITZ mod!
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610

nehi
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
Posts: 720
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by nehi » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Robotron wrote:This
Did you choose "Russian Surprise Attack" or tried "Full Russian mobilization"?
i didnt saw such events ever before

once in earlier 5.x i met it as cp, in times when sweden was very likely to join the war...

maybe im picking up wrong chain of events, im boosting serbia (serbia looks more capable to survive now, boosted is save until bulgarian backstab) or france if possible

austria is very weak in galicia i met just like 2 units east from przemysl on both runs, then armored train and cavalries can advance quickly to both majors, ai dont even bother when units are far from cities (vanilla issue), cavalries and train can move so fast, that they are facing just 5/10 small garrisons there

i guess ai doesnt count as threat units in distance of 4 or more hexes

Omnius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by Omnius » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:48 pm

Robotron,
Your extensive mod looks interesting. I'm still learning the vanilla game but am interested in giving this a try afterwards to see how it improves and varies the vanilla game. Looks like some interesting events and definitely will have to play Russia more carefully than in vanilla version. The Nfluence option looks interesting as do the diplomatic options you've added.

If there was one thing I wish your mod could do, that the Lordz didn't, was to add in a hotseat option. Being able to play the game with your mod would be a gas solitaire in hotseat mode.

Robotron
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by Robotron » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:48 pm

@Omnius: sadly, a hotseat mode is out of the question due to my lack of scripting skills.

@all: had a look at ALL CTGW MP-replay crash bugreports at Slitherine and Matrix forums from the past years (which were quite a LOT) and somewhat found my notion verified that randomization of any kind taking place(including players choosing events) is likely to screw the internal tables leading to a replay crash.

The vanilla game event script and combat scripts are totally void of any random elements so a perfect match of all the internal tables is guaranteed to get passed over to the other player to allow for a stable replay.

BUT: the whole diplo part where players choose one of the 3 events available is a quite "random" process: the events available are drawn randomly (albeit from a rather small pool of possible results) upon each draw and the actual choice taken by the player is also "random" by definition.

This of course would mean that the whole diplo system is doomed to failure and the whole mod too, at least from a MP perspective (SP will still work since there is no replay routine involved).

Since only a single person from the community seems to have tried the earlier versions of the mod in MP I guess those games were few enough so the issues did not surface or were fixed by reloading (by allowing the random number generator to produce different results that allowed the game to continue).
Slitherine's Commander the Great War on steroids: POTZBLITZ mod!
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610

nehi
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
Posts: 720
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by nehi » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Robotron wrote: This of course would mean that the whole diplo system is doomed to failure and the whole mod too, at least from a MP perspective (SP will still work since there is no replay routine involved).
then its maybe the right time to revive my suggestion about semi random drawings

if the numbers would be set at start of each game, there shoudnt be randomization problem later? or not?

unfortunately there are too few people to play mp, to spent time on reworking it and retesting it

Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:28 am

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by Zombo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 am

This of course would mean that the whole diplo system is doomed to failure and the whole mod too, at least from a MP perspective
There must be a way round this :shock: :?

tralala43
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by tralala43 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:35 pm

I'd say: Forget the MP and develop the mod just for the SP since now. I am sure that this mod is mainly played in SP by the "ghost fans" who don't want to create a forum account and tell you that they enjoy it. They are out there :D . The event system is too good to be removed, it makes the game much more enjoyable - that is of course just MY 50 cents on the whole thing.

Also that is just in case you still enjoy improving the game of course.

Cheers

Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:28 am

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by Zombo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:33 pm

There are some MP ghost fans as well... :|

tralala43
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by tralala43 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:41 pm

Maybe, but if he is so frustrated with the MP bug and can't solve it then maybe it's not worth it anymore.

Omnius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by Omnius » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:58 pm

Robotron wrote:@Omnius: sadly, a hotseat mode is out of the question due to my lack of scripting skills.
Robotron,
No problem, had to ask. Lordz really dropped the ball on this. It will be interesting to play this after playing the vanilla version.

Robotron
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by Robotron » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:19 pm

Well, while I did not win that Slitherine community award for "most successful mod" (based on views) for a mod created in 2017, I really took some pride by the fact that my updated 2017 version of PotzBlitz was able to accumulate more views for a much less popular game than the winner (a mod for PanzerCorps) although my thread was started in mid June (while the winner's started end of January).

Thanks a bunch, all you fans & lurkers. :D

The hunt for the MP bug will continue over the winter holidays. 8)
Slitherine's Commander the Great War on steroids: POTZBLITZ mod!
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610

Vokt
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Posts: 1222
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by Vokt » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Glad to hear that. The game has been so much improved with your mod that it made me get back to the game after years. It even made me to have more interest in WW1 and to make some readings about this decisive global war.

Omnius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by Omnius » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm wondering where that 98 page PDF file is that's mentioned in the initial description post here. I looked through all files but couldn't find the PDF file that explains what's new in Potzblitz.

Omnius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by Omnius » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:51 pm

Sadly the game crashes when trying to play now after I copied in the Potzblitz mod into the data folder and overwriting almost 500 files. I hope Robotron has some useful ideas on how to get game working again with mod otherwise it's game over for CTGW.

nehi
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
Posts: 720
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by nehi » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Omnius wrote:Sadly the game crashes when trying to play now after I copied in the Potzblitz mod into the data folder and overwriting almost 500 files. I hope Robotron has some useful ideas on how to get game working again with mod otherwise it's game over for CTGW.
crashing vanilla or potzblitz?

i have both separatelly without problems

if potzbliz, make fresh install of ctgw then apply mod then last hotfix

Omnius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by Omnius » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:33 pm

nehi wrote:
Omnius wrote:Sadly the game crashes when trying to play now after I copied in the Potzblitz mod into the data folder and overwriting almost 500 files. I hope Robotron has some useful ideas on how to get game working again with mod otherwise it's game over for CTGW.
crashing vanilla or potzblitz?

i have both separatelly without problems

if potzbliz, make fresh install of ctgw then apply mod then last hotfix
nehi,
Potzblitz. Vanilla was fine. I upgraded game to 1.66 and applied 5.35 mod a second time. Used singleplayer balanced setting for both Entente and CP sides to try the potzblitz scenario but it bombs before even loading map.

What hotfix? That's not mentioned in the beginning description document, hopefully Robotron will update that to include any new hotfix files we need. Where is it located? Thanks for info.

nehi
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
Posts: 720
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by nehi » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:50 pm

Omnius wrote:
nehi wrote:
Omnius wrote:Sadly the game crashes when trying to play now after I copied in the Potzblitz mod into the data folder and overwriting almost 500 files. I hope Robotron has some useful ideas on how to get game working again with mod otherwise it's game over for CTGW.
crashing vanilla or potzblitz?

i have both separatelly without problems

if potzbliz, make fresh install of ctgw then apply mod then last hotfix
nehi,
Potzblitz. Vanilla was fine. I upgraded game to 1.66 and applied 5.35 mod a second time. Used singleplayer balanced setting for both Entente and CP sides to try the potzblitz scenario but it bombs before even loading map.

What hotfix? That's not mentioned in the beginning description document, hopefully Robotron will update that to include any new hotfix files we need. Where is it located? Thanks for info.
5.35 (smaller one) is just a hotfix, but u need main mod, which is 4.7 (huge one)

so once more

make fresh install of ctgw then apply mod then last hotfix
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 18&t=77884

Omnius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: POTZBLITZ V5.35 (BETA), NOV 23th

Post by Omnius » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:46 pm

nehi,
Okay now that makes sense. I was only looking at the hotfix install note. Will download and apply the 4.7 mod before the hotfix.

Post Reply

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”