Do ambushes ever work well?

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Mahatma
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Do ambushes ever work well?

Post by Mahatma »

I've been reading as many AAR's as I can and I rarely see an ambush used. The idea of surprising the enemy by launching some crack troops (I'm thinking armoured, drilled, swordsmen, superior Dailami) into his/her LF is appealling, but how do I do it? If I want the terrain to ambush from, do I not need a good PBI? And to get to +4 I need an IC and loads of mounted BG's, which means I may need less Dailami. It's the Dailami I'd like to base the army around. Maybe 2BG's of Dailami to occupy terrain, and 2 BG's of 6 Dailami with 3 LF Bow support to occupy the open. And there will be open ground somewhere which will need to be filled with something. I guess I have a Dailami fetish.

The MF+LF Dailami fill up a gap in the line in the open, trying to stay out the way of HF and such. If mounted charge in, the LF could help me out a little, maybe. I'll screen these guys with some LF to stall the opponents line.

The other Dailami advance in terrain and make inroads into the enemy with the support of a few commanders, and do the majority of the fighting. Or they launch ambushes into the crap LF or MF of the enemy. Surely Arm, Dr, Sup, Sw MF can do the job?

Got to go watch the Grand Prix, will knock up an army list later and get some thoughts on it.
jre
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by jre »

I do not know about others, because it is true that most people do not use ambushes, but there are three reasons why I want to use ambush markers. Assuming I am using an army with good MF, if not, it is just point 3.

1. To advance troops. If there is concealing terrain in a flank (and I try to help with my selections, plantation and gully, though hills also help), that lets me set up my flanking MF (or anyone else, if there is a gentle hill in a good position or I can set up the ambush in the outer edge) 18 MU (24 in the unlikely case I win initiative) from the edge rather than 10. Normally that lets me leapfrog to another interesting piece of terrain (depending on what rough terrain troops they have) before the enemy can reach it, or anchor myself in that flank.

2. To hide vulnerable troops during deployment. When you lose initiative, if there are no good places (or not enough good places) for the MF, or you have rubbish troops, it gives you an extra bluff to avoid the enemy's main thrust.

3. To bluff. Either to hide a flank refusal (when you set up nothing in a flank, except some empty ambush markers), or the absence of terrain troops to contest a piece of terrain the enemy could reach (using 1, above). I would use them too if I had a flank march to hide its point value.

I never count on surprising my opponent with an ambush, because by the time I have finished making my first move he should know how many points I am missing, so a good idea of what could be hidden or not. Also, LF, LH will make sure they are the first to get in range to check if there is some reason to be suspicious, and except for gullies, visual range is the same as charge range for MF.

Historical battles with big ambushes would be handled better, in my opinion, with smaller tables and special rules for flank marches.

Ambushes are important during the bluff part of deployment, or to get a small initial advantage. No game changing effects, just one more tool in the box of tricks.

José
shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall »

They are great for bluffing in difficult terrain. They are not intended to provide any great crushing edge in the game. On a few occasions people stray to close and get charged by soemthing chunky - as occasionally happened in real life.

Si
Simon Hall
"May your dice roll 6s (unless ye be poor)"
BrianC
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by BrianC »

shall wrote:They are great for bluffing in difficult terrain. They are not intended to provide any great crushing edge in the game. On a few occasions people stray to close and get charged by soemthing chunky - as occasionally happened in real life.

Si
Are they used very often in comps?

Brian
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

I've never seen an ambush used in a competition. But then I play most of my games on minimum terrain where possible. Seen a couple at the club and seen the markers used a lot at club and comp.
shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall »

Brian
Not a lot; but a bit.

My Ancient Britons use them quite a lot. You need a fairly dense terrain for them to be of much use - which is both realistic and intended in the rules.

Si
Simon Hall
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

I use them all the time, usually with a general attached to one of the BG's.

Since I like to take high PBI armies then I usually end up moving second. If your opponent knows you have BG's missing along with only three generals then he immediately has doubts over whether you are flank marching or what is in the ambush. This often slows down the first move giving me an advantage even when moving second.

I usually ambush with LF, so all they can do is slow the enemy down. Don't normally kill anything but very useful for deception and starting further on the table and pinning the enemy.
daleivan
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by daleivan »

dave_r wrote:
I use them all the time, usually with a general attached to one of the BG's.

Since I like to take high PBI armies then I usually end up moving second. If your opponent knows you have BG's missing along with only three generals then he immediately has doubts over whether you are flank marching or what is in the ambush. This often slows down the first move giving me an advantage even when moving second.

I usually ambush with LF, so all they can do is slow the enemy down. Don't normally kill anything but very useful for deception and starting further on the table and pinning the enemy.
I like your idea of using ambushes to slow down the other player if he gets the first move. Hadn't thought of that. Mainly I thought in terms of causing the enemy concern over a piece of terrain, or in giving an ambushing BG a deeper deployment zone--terrain permitting.

Dale
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Great discussion guys. I might have to have a second look at ambushes.

Brian
shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall »

I suspect we will see more ambushes used once people get very familiar with the rules. I think a lot of people are in "get the figures on the table mode" still. And also there is more juice in the terrain system than is being utilised at present.

Once you have everything else in hand putting ambush markers down when you can is likely to help create some uncertainty for the enemy. What you need to be careful about is that this may also slow things down which may not prove advantageous.

Si
Simon Hall
carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by carlos »

I did the classic ambush in one of my first games. BG of MF behind a steep hill, enemy LF go gingerly up the hill thinking they'd be facing some LF that were downhill. Ooops.

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”