Warlords of Minaria non-magical Divine Right Campaign

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

SwordOfJustice
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Warlords of Minaria non-magical Divine Right Campaign

Post by SwordOfJustice »

Works for me.

I've assumed that if you travel part of a turn in terrain where you get a bonus, you can use that "+10 leagues". For my armies, that bonus is desert terrain and I would use that bonus move to move through a desert hex.

Just to clarify, for the bonus move within your own kingdom, do you have to spend your entire movement within your kingdom's boundaries to get the 60 leagues (6 hexes) movement allowance? I would assume so. Other interpretations are as posted by TheGrayMouser and Ironclad and are equally valid ideas.
SwordOfJustice
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by SwordOfJustice »

This campaign has reminded me how much work there is in thinking a rules through, how to explain them and considering all situations. We're all uncovering areas where we have questions as we start playing.

Chris, you obviously spent heaps of time preparing this campaign and that's part of why I signed up. I was very impressed with the PDF you sent through. Well done, mate. So far, I'm having a lot of fun finding art for my nation, some light role playing and preparing my turns.

How about everyone else? I assume everyone here knows and likes Divine Right from the old days. Are you all doing a little role playing in your turns? Or is it just straight up excuse to play some FOG battles?

Cheers,
Sword
Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Ironclad »

Never played Divine Right before, but I can see and appreciate the obvious careful thought and planning that has gone into this. For which much thanks to our host. Have got role playing games but have never devoted enough time and commitment to them. The one great exception is Battle Brothers, admittedly more battle than role play,- but great fun to play.

I guess the opportunity to play FOG 2 battles in an interesting and novel campaign setting was a key attraction for all of us.

A question for our GM re a diplomacy card. What does it allow an ambassador to do? And what can an ambassador do (if anything) without one?
vakarr
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by vakarr »

The cards increase your chance of success in a diplomatic negotiation, they are not necessary (unless a king's personality card says he will only respond to a particular type of persuasion). You need to roll a 6 to activate a monarch, with a +2 card that means that a 4 will succeed (other things being equal).

On any given player turn, the ambassador may work on any one of the 6 different diplomatic tasks in the game:
  • Attempt to Activate any non-allied non-player monarch.
  • Attempt to Deactivate any enemy-allied non-player monarch - same as activation but you need to roll a 7 to succeed so this can't be done without a card.
  • Attempt to Assassinate any enemy-allied non-player monarch.
  • Duel an enemy Ambassador.
  • If he is on the edge of the map in a neutral area - Attempt to raise a Barbarian Army or a Pirate Fleet.
  • Activate a mercenary base (e.g. Stump Hole) or a neutral named area (e.g. Blasted Heath) if he has reached that locality.
Ambassadors are mortal, and should an ambassador be killed, two game turns must pass before a successor may take over.

BANISHING AMBASSADORS
The play of certain Diplomacy cards - Black Magic, Threats, Blackmail, and Crass Bribes - cause the banishment of the ambassador if the diplomatic die roll fails. While banished, the ambassador may not attempt any of the diplomatic functions upon the offended monarch or kingdom. The term of banishment is a number of turns equal to the modifying number on the Diplomacy card, plus one. Thus, if a player is unsuccessful with a + 1 Threat, the ambassador would be banished from that kingdom for two full game turns. A side record of banishments should be kept with paper and pencil. Certain Personality cards may also require banishment of an ambassador. If a player manages to incur both types of banishment at once, the terms of banishment are added together.

ATTEMPTED ASSASSINATION OF AN ENEMY-ALLIED NON-PLAYER MONARCH
Once, during the entire game, each player monarch may send his or her ambassador on an attempt to assassinate an enemy-allied non-player monarch. The ambassador is placed on the intended victim. Diplomacy cards may not be played. Both players roll a die. If the monarch rolls higher, the ambassador is dead. If the ambassador rolls higher, the monarch is dead. If the result is a tie, nobody is killed, and the ambassador is chased out of the kingdom.

An assassination which is successful deactivates the monarch and his or her forces. However, no points are scored.

After any unsuccessful assassination attempt, the ambassador (or successors if killed) is permanently banished from the kingdom until the offended monarch dies by some other means.

DUELING AN ENEMY AMBASSADOR
A player's ambassador may be commanded to duel, once per game, with another player's ambassador, if the are in the same hex. Regardless of who makes the challenge, each ambassador may duel each other ambassador only once. No Diplomacy cards may be played. Both players roll a die. The lower roll loses, and that ambassador is killed. If the result is a tie, both ambassadors are killed. An ambassador may not refuse a challenge.
vakarr

Post by vakarr »

SwordOfJustice wrote:Works for me.

I've assumed that if you travel part of a turn in terrain where you get a bonus, you can use that "+10 leagues". For my armies, that bonus is desert terrain and I would use that bonus move to move through a desert hex.

Just to clarify, for the bonus move within your own kingdom, do you have to spend your entire movement within your kingdom's boundaries to get the 60 leagues (6 hexes) movement allowance? I would assume so. Other interpretations are as posted by TheGrayMouser and Ironclad and are equally valid ideas.
Yes as I said, if there is a choice you choose the shorter distance.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

vakarr wrote:The cards increase your chance of success in a diplomatic negotiation, they are not necessary (unless a king's personality card says he will only respond to a particular type of persuasion). You need to roll a 6 to activate a monarch, with a +2 card that means that a 4 will succeed (other things being equal).

On any given player turn, the ambassador may work on any one of the 6 different diplomatic tasks in the game:
  • Attempt to Activate any non-allied non-player monarch.
  • Attempt to Deactivate any enemy-allied non-player monarch - same as activation but you need to roll a 7 to succeed so this can't be done without a card.
  • Attempt to Assassinate any enemy-allied non-player monarch.
  • Duel an enemy Ambassador.
  • If he is on the edge of the map in a neutral area - Attempt to raise a Barbarian Army or a Pirate Fleet.
  • Activate a mercenary base (e.g. Stump Hole) or a neutral named area (e.g. Blasted Heath) if he has reached that locality.
Ambassadors are mortal, and should an ambassador be killed, two game turns must pass before a successor may take over.

BANISHING AMBASSADORS
The play of certain Diplomacy cards - Black Magic, Threats, Blackmail, and Crass Bribes - cause the banishment of the ambassador if the diplomatic die roll fails. While banished, the ambassador may not attempt any of the diplomatic functions upon the offended monarch or kingdom. The term of banishment is a number of turns equal to the modifying number on the Diplomacy card, plus one. Thus, if a player is unsuccessful with a + 1 Threat, the ambassador would be banished from that kingdom for two full game turns. A side record of banishments should be kept with paper and pencil. Certain Personality cards may also require banishment of an ambassador. If a player manages to incur both types of banishment at once, the terms of banishment are added together.

ATTEMPTED ASSASSINATION OF AN ENEMY-ALLIED NON-PLAYER MONARCH
Once, during the entire game, each player monarch may send his or her ambassador on an attempt to assassinate an enemy-allied non-player monarch. The ambassador is placed on the intended victim. Diplomacy cards may not be played. Both players roll a die. If the monarch rolls higher, the ambassador is dead. If the ambassador rolls higher, the monarch is dead. If the result is a tie, nobody is killed, and the ambassador is chased out of the kingdom.

An assassination which is successful deactivates the monarch and his or her forces. However, no points are scored.

After any unsuccessful assassination attempt, the ambassador (or successors if killed) is permanently banished from the kingdom until the offended monarch dies by some other means.

DUELING AN ENEMY AMBASSADOR
A player's ambassador may be commanded to duel, once per game, with another player's ambassador, if the are in the same hex. Regardless of who makes the challenge, each ambassador may duel each other ambassador only once. No Diplomacy cards may be played. Both players roll a die. The lower roll loses, and that ambassador is killed. If the result is a tie, both ambassadors are killed. An ambassador may not refuse a challenge.
Thanks for that full answer. Also apologies I had forgotten you had provided a link to download the rules which I have now done and converted to PDF format so if anyone needs a pdf copy please let me know.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

the GM actually does the movement, and can immediately resolve any such problems; you only have to state the destination of your army not exactly what hexes it will traverse.
If we just need to give the destination, this works for me. I was most worried about having to coordinate land and sea movement, given my starting position.

I played Divine Right once some 30 years ago. I remember really enjoying all the details and options. The diplomacy seemed to me to be the heart of the game.

The detailed orders feedback in my turn report is great. I didn't do much role-playing in my orders this turn, but I'll try to add some to the next one.
vakarr

Post by vakarr »

Thanks, guys, all orders have been received and processed. You can now send in your second turn's orders if you like. Here is the latest news:
  • Zorn Attacks The Crag: King Shoagg Asks for Assistance
  • Immer Allies with Muetar
  • Mivior sets up Fast Boat Service
  • Re-Armament Contiues
Get your copy of the latest edition of the Minarian Chronicles here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tB2kz ... as-ggrEpLL
vakarr

Post by vakarr »

Things are really hotting up in Minaria, here is the latest news:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eLhFp ... eEZFtASeku

In Issue 5 of the Minarian Chronicles:
  • Trolls continue siege of The Crag
  • Shucassam annexes Waterless Downs
  • New Allies for Muetar and Zorn
  • Temple of Kings denies Entry
Plus an exclusive for readers of this list:
Hothior fails to activate despite brilliant speech
vakarr

Post by vakarr »

I have received orders from only two players (thanks, guys!) but probably people have been away for Easter so I'm extending the deadline until Tuesday midnight GMT
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Ah! My apologies. I think I got my weeks mixed up. Will try to have them to you shortly.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

What do the #'s represent on the counters? Some have 3 or 5 or 7...
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Has anyone heard from Vakarr?
SwordOfJustice
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by SwordOfJustice »

Sorry for a belated post in this thread. I spoke with Vakarr on the phone last night and yes, the campaign is cancelled.

There was a holiday break and then several players did not submit their turns. Vakarr found that running it was also taking up all his free time, leading him to question whether this was where he should be committing so much of his time.

As we submitted turns, it also became apparent that there is an awkwardness in trying to marry up campaign mechanics with playing FOG2 online, with various challenges in joining the two into a cohesive whole.

I personally wanted to mod in some fantasy army lists but it will take a lot of work and learning how to manipluate textures, etc to do so. For me personally as a player, it would always be weird trying to play a Shucassamite army with a normal Alexandrian Successor army list in FOG2 online.

Anyway, I had fun with the imagination of running a kingdom from Divine Right, which was a boardgame I enjoyed many years ago. Life is filled with learning experiences.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

I am sorry that I was one the of players that did not send in turns. I intended to deliberately fence-sit for the first few turns, but I guess I should have sent in orders anyway, even if they were to do nothing.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”