Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Duplex
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Duplex's Scenarios

Post by Duplex »

Oh
No
My scenario is gonna be different than what you're thinking about. It is a continuation from the Manchurian Offensive, meaning that the Japanese do not control Guangzhou (Canton). So Hong Kong is not isolated, therefore the combat will turn out differently. Also, you will be playing as the Chinese Nationalists in my scenario, not as the British. I'm sorry if that isn't what you wanted/expected. :(
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
ALP071
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ALP071 »

Not even close, mate, because as me mate bru888 knows very well, I'm a fan of alternate history! Keep up the good work.

However, I still stand behind me suggestions, at least 1 and 2. Japanese loved the main role when it came to massacres, so one would fit any scenario where they are involved; and, how many times you see the defense of a hotel full of guests in the middle of a battle tale? :wink:
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Hong Kong 1942 v1.0.0 has been released!

Fight in conjunction with the British to defend China's war effort.

As usual, all suggestions/feedback are greatly appreciated.
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Cool. Thanks, Duplex! :D
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Update 1.3.1 for Hong Kong 1942:
-British gunboat removed
-Naval unit positioning changed
-New secondary objective
-Unit additions/removals
-More units are now under Nationalist control
-Briefing changes
-Other minor fixes
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

Duplex wrote:Update 1.3.1 for Hong Kong 1942:
-British gunboat removed
-Naval unit positioning changed
-New secondary objective
-Unit additions/removals
-More units are now under Nationalist control
-Briefing changes
-Other minor fixes
Hey, this new system works! I see that you updated the version number in your opening post. However, when I looked at the link, it's still pointing to your version 1.0.0. At least that is what the file name says; maybe it is version 1.3.1 now and you just need to update the file name?
Capture856.jpg
Capture856.jpg (42.27 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
- Bru
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Yeah I didnt change the file name.
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

"4 Hong Kong v1.3.1" played with v5.2.9
(EDIT: Now I see it may have been the v5.3.0 instead, don't know)

Small notice: I've played this one out of my mod, but it shouldn't matter much, as it's helping only the Japanese in this scenario, so at the most, it's more challenging for me. (And I didn't take the Vicker's tank) :wink:

Like with your previous scenarios, it's kind of always playing out the same way for me: A very good challenge at first, with an optimal unit/RP balance to not allow many mistakes. But in the end I'll always end up with way too many units and just overrunning the enemy. Like in this one: I wouldn't have needed both of the final reinforcement waves. Good action otherwise.

I suspect, that "breaking" the supply connection (sec. obj) should have resulted in an immediate defeat to the player (?)
First, this doesn't happen: one can continue playing, but to no avail, as one of the primary objectives' marked "failed", allowing a draw at best. So second, you may want to correct it and change it to a primary objective at the same time. How about switching it with the "fight off the Jap. attack" prim. objective? Holding the towns and preventing Hong Kong's encirclement are the main objectives, right? So finishing off the Japs can be considered a "bonus" objective for an early victory condition.
Screenshot 259.jpg
Screenshot 259.jpg (468.99 KiB) Viewed 4524 times
suggestions
- I've been able to destroy the Jap supply ships of the eastern attack wing quite early on (with the cruiser and plane), making the whole flank and the arriving reinforcements quite useless once this happended. Maybe add some additional supply ships for each invasion wave.
- and Spike was right about way too many AI controlled units at the start. I didn't mind the AI taking over the Brit ground forces - although behaving quite stupid, like attacking a high star enemy infantry with the AT gun! But it really was quite tiresome to watch the lengthy naval battles fought between "my" and the "enemy's" AI - resulting in literally nothing: no pain, no gain. The only thing I really wanted the AI units to do was to attack the Jap supply ships, and that they did not. :lol:
- don't know if intended, but the Jap air force was undersupplied from the start
- you should move the Brit AA unit one hex to include the airfield from the beginning!
- I know it's only for the looks, but you should include at least some pics to the events. Please, looks a bit bland like this.
Screenshot 260.jpg
Screenshot 260.jpg (494.34 KiB) Viewed 4524 times
A nice defensive mission, I liked it. Thanks, Duplex! :D
Screenshot 262.jpg
Screenshot 262.jpg (479.64 KiB) Viewed 4524 times
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Thanks so much for playing, GabeKnight!

I'm considering another update to fix balance issues. I was worried about that.
As for the "Maintain contact with Hong Kong" objective, I don't think it should be a primary objective. When the British surrender and Hong Kong falls into Japanese hands, you can still retake Hong Kong. The objective will go back to "completed". Maybe it's a problem with the wording. I'll change that if it is. But the balancing certainly should be fixed. I'll see what I can do.
:D
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Duplex wrote:As for the "Maintain contact with Hong Kong" objective, I don't think it should be a primary objective. When the British surrender and Hong Kong falls into Japanese hands, you can still retake Hong Kong. The objective will go back to "completed". Maybe it's a problem with the wording.
Not at all, if it's meant like this, then it's okay. I admit, I haven't tried playing further after the objective "fail". Just seemed unrealistic at that point to be able to retake Hong Kong after the loss of that many supporting units. Cutting enemy supply lines was no option from that point on, either. Is it really possible to win after the Brit surrender? Maybe I'll try that with the new version :wink: :lol:
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Harbin 1943 v1.0.0 has been released!

The Japanese are clinging on with their fingernails to their last major city in China. Send 'em out for good.

Download link is in the OP.
Hope everyone enjoys!
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Sorry to everyone for my absence. I beta-tested Sandstorm, and then bought Rising Sun. So it took me awhile to get back to scenario design. Also, as Bru888 once said, creating scenarios can be an extremely frustrating thing and I'm glad I took a break from it.

Btw, if y'all haven't tried Rising Sun yet, you guys should. It's really enjoyable. Kamikazes should be buffed though.
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Update 1.2.2 for Harbin 1943:
- New triggers (minimal gameplay impact)
- Balancing changes (units removed)
- Minor decoration tweaks
- Minor terrain changes
- More immersive experience
- Other minor tweaks
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Update 1.2.4 for Harbin 1943:
- Major bug fixed
- Minor tweaks
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

"5 Harbin", v1.2.4, middle difficulty, no mod, OoBv6.1.9

I really like the balance in your scens. It's always quite tough at the beginning, but never too much. Exactly the same here. :D
Although I always tend to have too much troops in the end; I guess, my actual casualties don't meet the estimated quota ... :wink:
Screenshot 579.jpg
Screenshot 579.jpg (620.4 KiB) Viewed 4187 times
- You should update the OP, it still says v1.2.2
- There's an P-I-15 plane already in my core at scenario start and nowhere to deploy it (and no Vicker's this time? :wink: ). And I completely forgot about it later on, after I've got an airfield... :lol:
- All events have no pics, but you know that
- "Flimsy Sword Wielder"... :)
- Great! All triggers worked on my play-through. Thanks.
Screenshot 581.jpg
Screenshot 581.jpg (526.51 KiB) Viewed 4187 times
Again a neat map for my beloved "Tabula Rasa". Nice battle, thanks for this. :)
Screenshot 582.jpg
Screenshot 582.jpg (470.45 KiB) Viewed 4187 times
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Thanks for playing GabeKnight!
I can always count on you to give me a nice play-through. Thx for all the comments. I went ahead and changed the OP version to 1.2.4 (oops).
I forgot all about the P - I - 15 in the core. Might've been intentional, might not have been... :wink:
I always have a problem with balancing towards the end. I occasionally end up with too many units as well. I might have to make more changes.
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Duplex wrote:Also, as Bru888 once said, creating scenarios can be an extremely frustrating thing and I'm glad I took a break from it.
You said it. I mean, I said it. And I did it, game and all for a while. :)

Duplex, your scenarios deserve attention and I mean to pay some, soon. My problem is, I still work for a darned living and therefore time is at a premium. :(
- Bru
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Thanks. Creating scenarios is fun after you've completed them. Getting there is pretty painful though. I understand that your time is valuable and so I'm very thankful that you can put aside time to play my scenarios.
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Update v1.2.9 for Harbin 1943:
- minor decorational tweaks
- balancing changes
- other minor tweaks
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

After many hours of hard work and frustration, the long awaited DaLian 1943 has been released! Defend DaLian from a Japanese amphibious assault. Features intense naval, air, and land combat. Wait no more, go download DaLian 1943 right away!

Sequel to Harbin 1943.

All suggestions/feedback are welcome and appreciated.
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”