Can't Produce Wood

A mix of deep gameplay and rich historical flavor, Aggressors: Ancient Rome lets you relive history as the ruler of one of the mighty civilizations of the ancient Mediterranean. Choose one of twenty available factions and conquer the world.
76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Can't Produce Wood

Post by 76mm »

Just took a quick 50 years or so; everything went great other than that my empire could not/would not produce wood, so pretty soon I couldn't building anything.

Two of my cities were next to multiple wood tiles, but they did not produce any wood. I tried to have a settler collect wood or chop down a forest, but could not see any way to do so.

In-game help was not illuminating on this point.

What am I doing wrong?
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Re: Can't Produce Wood

Post by pavelk »

Maybe you got to high the birth rate support? If you want to know what is your exact production/consumption and all the aspects impacting this, just click on the "wood" icon in resource panel. The "resource usage" windows pops up and on the right side is the detailed list of your production and consumption
76mm

Post by 76mm »

But how do I actually produce more wood? My town near the forest tiles were not actually producing any wood as far as I could tell. And yes, I had "generous" birth rate support.
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

Cities harvest wood out of the tiles which are in their ranges. The bigger the city is, the bigger its range is.
If you dont have any forest, plains, jungles or hills nearby you have to trade the wood with another players (or conquer them:))

Birth rate increases the usage of stones, wood and gold, so if you lower the birth rate, you will decrease its consumption. To maintain pretty high birth rate, you should also build temples to boost the natality.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

pavelk wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:27 am Cities harvest wood out of the tiles which are in their ranges. The bigger the city is, the bigger its range is.
If you dont have any forest, plains, jungles or hills nearby you have to trade the wood with another players (or conquer them:))
But some of my cities were in tiles adjacent to up to 3 forest tiles, but they did not produce any wood... Why not?
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

hmm that is weird. Would you mind to send me your save file to info@kubat-software.com or ZIP it and attach it here? I would investigate that
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I don't have a save file, I stopped this game when I uninstalled/reinstalled the game trying to get Steam to work.

In a second game I was also chronically short of wood, despite the fact that my territory had lots of forest tiles. Honestly seems a bit odd--I would think that other than in desert areas, wood would be one thing in plentiful supply.
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

I can check on that to see if there is anything wrong with the game or tell you why do you experience it.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Let me start a third game and see if the problem persists. In my second game it was even very difficult to trade for wood, as if everyone was short of it.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Make sure what you think are forest tiles ARE forest tiles. Lots of tiles have trees but that doesn't mean forest. Check the tile for terrain. You need forest or hills or plains or jungles, though they don't produce much necessarily.
dejvid2
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by dejvid2 »

pavelk wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:27 am
Birth rate increases the usage of stones, wood and gold, so if you lower the birth rate, you will decrease its consumption. To maintain pretty high birth rate, you should also build temples to boost the natality.
It should be clear what the cost of increasing the Birth rate support is. I had a hunch that there must be some cost but couldn't find any indication as to what that would be.
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

Hi dejvid2,
this is by design and there is a reason behind this. If you want to know why it is like that, please watch this dev stream. It is already pointing to the part of the stream talking about birth rate support.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

dejvid2 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:36 am It should be clear what the cost of increasing the Birth rate support is. I had a hunch that there must be some cost but couldn't find any indication as to what that would be.
Also, if you click on a resource, you can see how much of that resource is being spent on birth support--that's how I found out how much gold I was spending on it...
dejvid2

Post by dejvid2 »

pavelk wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:45 am Hi dejvid2,
this is by design and there is a reason behind this. If you want to know why it is like that, please watch this dev stream. It is already pointing to the part of the stream talking about birth rate support.
You misunderstood my point. I like the way the rule works including the resources. The problem is that it is hard to find out what is being spent on birth support. There is no indication that there is any cost at all. That information should be on the screen where you set the birthrate.

True, there is a lot happening on that screen but, if you made it cover the whole screen, there would be space.
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

dejvid2 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:07 amYou misunderstood my point. I like the way the rule works including the resources. The problem is that it is hard to find out what is being spent on birth support. There is no indication that there is any cost at all. That information should be on the screen where you set the birthrate.
I see, I got your point now. We try to stick to one rule in game - all the UI controls should have hint (in the upper right corner) describing what particular UI control (button, panel, icon, ...) does and in some cases also points to more info in Aggressors library. We created this hint even for birth rate slider and the whole Birth rate window.
You think it should be even somewhere else, like directly in the window? The problem is that we dont really want to overwhelm players as well. That is why all this was moved to hint.
dejvid2

Post by dejvid2 »

I think you have overdone the wanting to avoid overwhelming the player. Working out where information is has been hard for me because it often requires you to go through several sub-windows to get to it. This is compounded by reliance on icons or clickable items that don't to me look like they have any relation to what I want to know or even that they are clickable.

The tool tips are well done. The problem is that you rely on the tool tips and if the clickable item doesn't look it is related to what I'm looking for I won't place the mouse over that item so I won't see the tool tip.

I'm still playing Spartan and it is that game I'm comparing Aggressors to.
Spartan place much more info on each screen and the clickable items were usually text which though brief gave you a better hint as to what it was related to.
Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio »

I had a similar issue yesterday in going from lots of stones to none in a few turns. I had no idea that boosting birth rate used stones, I thought it was just gold. I think I found the answer from Google! Although later I noticed it in the tooltip. It would be helpful if below the birth rate slider there were 3 icons (Gold, Stone, Wood) and the amount that would be consumed with the slider setting. Then the user can make an informed decision regarding the best rate to set.
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

Hi Morbio,
the birth rate cannot be precisely predicted like I answered here. We can add it to tooltip maybe, but it is already in the hint when you hover over the slider. Or would you suggest to move that text hint to the tooltip?
Morbio

Post by Morbio »

pavelk wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:10 pm Hi Morbio,
the birth rate cannot be precisely predicted like I answered here. We can add it to tooltip maybe, but it is already in the hint when you hover over the slider. Or would you suggest to move that text hint to the tooltip?
I think the tooltip is the best place for the slider on the main state window, but maybe a comment on the Birth rate Window (accessed from the state window) that varying the birth rate will vary the consumption of gold, stones and wood?

Return to “Aggressors: Ancient Rome”