Recon Units / Modifications

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

anchopal
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Recon Units / Modifications

Post by anchopal » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:02 am

Overall, the benefit of recon units within Panzer Corps was to my experience too poor. The advanced scouting capabilities basically affords to operate with these units at the top of the frontline. However, this naturally causes a lot of total losses due to aimed enemy attacks and only poor own armour properties. In order to make recon units more attractive I propose the following 2 modifications in Panzer Corps 2:

1a. Increase of spotting range +1 = 4 + step-by-step movement including movement penalty (-1) for each stop OR
1b. Spotting range 3 + step-by-step movement without movement penality (-1) for each stop.
2. Assignment of a camouflage capability, that is recon units are only visible for adjacend units.

Both modifications lead to an increase of spotting/mobility and "protection" (due to the fact that recon units will be harder to scout).

huckc
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Recon Units / Modifications

Post by huckc » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:28 pm

I agree that recon could use a boost in usefulness.

#2 sounds good but I can see it being frustrating as a player, being spotted without knowing why. Also easily exploitable by laying ambushes or interrupting enemy movements. These can be partially alleviated by enemy recons not affected.

My proposal is to give a couple free deployment slots for recon depending on the overall size of the scenario. It fixes their usefulness with the side bonus of punishing the player the least when playing a scenario blind.

A couple other traits to the increases their survivability:
1) Always retreat after being attacked (probably also need to be immune to surrenders)
2) Reformed to one health and -25% experience after being destroyed. Can only be re-deployed on the next scenario.

anchopal

Re: Recon Units / Modifications

Post by anchopal » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:38 am

huckc wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:28 pm

#2 sounds good but I can see it being frustrating as a player, being spotted without knowing why. Also easily exploitable by laying ambushes or interrupting enemy movements.
I agree, being spotted without knowing why is bad. Your suggestion that enemy recons are not effected (that is a recon can always be spotted by an enemy recon) could be a suitable solution here.
huckc wrote:

My proposal is to give a couple free deployment slots for recon depending on the overall size of the scenario.
I would prefer a game play in which a player has a real incentive (real need of capabilities of recon units) to use recons in his core force instead of other unit types. Free deployments slots seems to me an obvious intervention in the game play means I would use recons because I have these slots and not necessarily because I need the capabilities.
huckc wrote:

1) Always retreat after being attacked (probably also need to be immune to surrenders)
2) Reformed to one health and -25% experience after being destroyed. Can only be re-deployed on the next scenario.
@1) "retreat" sounds good, @1) "immune to surrender" + @2) fall from my perspective both into the category possible cheating modus, but does not help to make recons more attrative in the game play.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”