Grand Campaign West & East 39-45 (Manstein) [Epilogue]

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: Grand Campaign West & East 39-45 (Manstein)

Post by goose_2 »

I will be curious on how you handle the Stalingrad scenario's themselves...are you going for a Decisive?
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

goose_2 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:02 pm I will be curious on how you handle the Stalingrad scenario's themselves...are you going for a Decisive?
Yes! Storming will be the hardest I reckon. I think the key is to bypass the Gumrak suburb as well as the bottom third of the map.

Docks will be very fun as you can drop airborne on turn one in the northeast and wreak all sorts of havoc. I have five 4-star Fallschirmjäger who will all have a field day.
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Ilovlya

ImageImage

Very hard scenario but not enough to warrant all my over-strength, down to 84% soft cap. I did finish at 100% however :D

It also helped that I remember this scenario vividly and the nasty counter-attacks by the new T34/43s. The trigger hexes for the one in the southwest (the worst one) is the vision range for the conscripts in the front, so its easy to get in position. I made sure to strike all at once and take out the big AA gun in order to hit the T34s with stukas. The weather wasn't on my side however and got an unlucky streak of clouds.

[spoiler]

Opening move

Turn 5 - Beating the counter-attack in the northeast to the punch

Turn 7 - Enemy counter-attack in the southwest

Turn 12 - Mud!

Turn 15 - Enveloping the final victory hexes. Captured KV-1C moving to join the fray.
[/spoiler]
Result
Decisive Victory turn 17 of 20
Prestige: Image
Attachments
(08.10.2018) Ilovlya, Turn 17 DV.zip
(94.81 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Last edited by huckc on Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Buzinovka Depot

Pretty easy one, as the bonus mission typically are.

There are two KV-5 tanks that are strong enough to hit any of my tanks profitably. They are also guarded by AA so taking a hit from them is inevitable.

Deployment

Opening move

Turn 4 - Fallschirmjäger dropped in the rain

Turn 12 - Approaching the final victory hex. I need to get better at preventing purchase rings.

Result
Decisive Victory turn 16 of 20
Attachments
(10.10.2018) Buzinovka Depot, Turn 16 DV.zip
(95.18 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Storming Stalingrad

Extremely difficult, no surprise there. Suffered two brutal late-scenario restarts after losing a veteran core unit.

The SMG infantry littering the city is strong enough to attack many of my veteran infantry even without artillery support. There is also the problem of T34s swooping in out of nowhere to nail my tanks down to half health.

One thing to your advantage is the one spotting distance of the SMG infantry and conscripts which are vast majority of enemy infantry on the map. The enemy engineers guarding the victory hexes are also set to passive so they won't ever attack you.

The plan was bypassing the southwestern part of the city as well as the Gumrak suburbs with the goal of linking my entire force together in the center asap. Wanted to avoid getting bogged down in unnecessary places, losing valuable time and ammo while exposed at the flanks due to a split force.

Opening move

Turn 4 - Northern force arrived in the city and taken the first hex

Turn 6 - Southern force finally arrived in the center to link up with the northern force

Turn 7 - Forcing the partisans to surrender one by one. Two of my aircraft assisting.

Turn 10 - Taking the first victory hex in the city proper

Turn 12 - Counter-attack

Turn 16 - Second victory hex taken in the city. KV-1C captured.

Turn 16 - Making good progress in the northeast which triggered a counter-attack

Turn 18 - Approaching the final two victory hexes in the south

Turn 20 - Northeast victory hex finally taken after keeping the strongpoint alive for awhile in order to prevent enemy infantry from moving onto that hex

Final victory hexes captured in the south!

Turn 20 - Complete final picture of what was an epic scenario

Result
Decisive Victory turn 20 of 24
Attachments
(14.10.2018) Storming Stalingrad, Turn 20 of 24 DV.zip
(114.08 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

huckc wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:51 pm Storming Stalingrad

Extremely difficult, no surprise there. Suffered two brutal late-scenario restarts after losing a veteran core unit.

The SMG infantry littering the city is strong enough to attack many of my veteran infantry even without artillery support. There is also the problem of T34s swooping in out of nowhere to nail my tanks down to half health.

One thing to your advantage is the one spotting distance of the SMG infantry and conscripts which are vast majority of enemy infantry on the map. The enemy engineers guarding the victory hexes are also set to passive so they won't ever attack you.

The plan was bypassing the southwestern part of the city as well as the Gumrak suburbs with the goal of linking my entire force together in the center asap. Wanted to avoid getting bogged down in unnecessary places, losing valuable time and ammo while exposed at the flanks due to a split force.

Opening move

Turn 4 - Northern force arrived in the city and taken the first hex

Turn 6 - Southern force finally arrived in the center to link up with the northern force

Turn 7 - Forcing the partisans to surrender one by one. Two of my aircraft assisting.

Turn 10 - Taking the first victory hex in the city proper

Turn 12 - Counter-attack

Turn 16 - Second victory hex taken in the city. KV-1C captured.

Turn 16 - Making good progress in the northeast which triggered a counter-attack

Turn 18 - Approaching the final two victory hexes in the south

Turn 20 - Northeast victory hex finally taken after keeping the strongpoint alive for awhile in order to prevent enemy infantry from moving onto that hex

Final victory hexes captured in the south!

Turn 20 - Complete final picture of what was an epic scenario

Result
Decisive Victory turn 20 of 24
WOWZERS!

You did it, I could not do it. This battle must have been epic, if you could send me the raw footage of this scenario I would love to watch it.
Do you know my email address, if not pm me to get it...Thanks

Will you be taking the Tatsinskaya Path?
goose_2

huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

goose_2 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:27 pm WOWZERS!

You did it, I could not do it. This battle must have been epic, if you could send me the raw footage of this scenario I would love to watch it.

Thanks, yes it was indeed epic and I was on the razor's edge for the last few turns which is why I ended things early. Sort of regret not taking the conventional approach but I felt I needed to be optimal in order to have a chance of a DV without losing excessive prestige in losses and over-strength, assuming a DV is even possible that way.

Leaning towards the Escape path yes, partly because I did Ruins last run and there seems to be better airborne opportunities with the former.

Look out for an e-mail later today or tomorrow with the file.
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Stalingrad Docks

Very hard scenario but a bit easier than the last one.

My approach was mostly conventional except for using my entire contingent of veteran Fallschirmjäger in the north.

Three were dropped on turn one with the task of destroying any AA along the west bank so they can't hit my planes attacking the transport. They'd also destroy any ground units able to land then finally help take the railway station.

The other two were dropped behind the T-34 factory to destroy any that ventured onto city hexes and any AA as well. One of them triggered the big counter-attack super early (not intended) which made some of the attacking tanks go east to capture flags that were previously taken by the three Fallschirmjägers. Not sure why, perhaps they were too far away from my victory hexes.

Used four strategic bombers max at one time to destroy the landing craft, probably only needed three as some never move in.

Opener

Turn 8 - Fallschirmjäger triggered the counter-attack very early here with their trespassing. Attacking T-34/41s moved to the west bank to take some flags.

Turn 15 - Finally broke through to Pavlov's house

He got me once, but only for -1 damage

Turn 18 - Second turn of snowing

Turn 19 - Snowing again with frozen ground too

Turn 21 - Skies clear again and snow melted. Pavlov ousted and recon capturable secured. Time to end things...

Result
Decisive Victory turn 21 of 22
Attachments
(16.10.2018) Stalingrad Docks, Turn 21 of 22 DV.zip
(117.93 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

huckc wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Thanks, yes it was indeed epic and I was on the razor's edge for the last few turns which is why I ended things early. Sort of regret not taking the conventional approach but I felt I needed to be optimal in order to have a chance of a DV without losing excessive prestige in losses and over-strength, assuming a DV is even possible that way.

Leaning towards the Escape path yes, partly because I did Ruins last run and there seems to be better airborne opportunities with the former.

I watched the until Day 8 last night in sheer amazement at the brilliance of this playthrough. I would have never thought of the strategy you are deploying, and it is working brilliantly.
I will do my best to implement something similar in my new Super Hard playthrough as I do not think I will be able to copy fully as I do not have the same experience earned nor prestige build up, or even unit composition, but I will mimic the strategy as best as I can.

One suggestion that would help the viewers, well at least me, could you relabel the names of units with the heroes they have been awarded. This would help me understand what you are fighting with.
You have a lot of double heroes, as you should. The one big advantage of fighting on Manstein is that you will earn a lot more heroes as you will rack up kills a lot faster.

Thanks for posting
goose_2

huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

goose_2 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:31 pm
huckc wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:46 pm

I watched the until Day 8 last night in sheer amazement at the brilliance of this playthrough. I would have never thought of the strategy you are deploying, and it is working brilliantly.
I will do my best to implement something similar in my new Super Hard playthrough as I do not think I will be able to copy fully as I do not have the same experience earned nor prestige build up, or even unit composition, but I will mimic the strategy as best as I can.

One suggestion that would help the viewers, well at least me, could you relabel the names of units with the heroes they have been awarded. This would help me understand what you are fighting with.
You have a lot of double heroes, as you should. The one big advantage of fighting on Manstein is that you will earn a lot more heroes as you will rack up kills a lot faster.

Thanks for posting
Yes I think it'd work well on non-Manstein as it doesn't rely on baiting extra strong units. Can probably fan out and take much more flags than I did.
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Escape from Stalingrad

I underestimated the difficulty of this hard mission. Didn't over-strengthened my tanks enough causing a few to get knocked out of the battle.

The plan was to evacuate five aux units in the south, facilitated by three fallschirmjäger landing to the west of the Don river and destroying the enemy around Lozhki, clearing the way across the river. The remaining three aux units in the north can get to a safe staging area to the west of the Don immediately, not requiring any forceful breaking through on my part.

Turn 6 - Fallschirmjäger landings drew the enemy infantry out of the city to attack. Defensive line at Peskovatka and Samoflavka.

Turn 9 - Lozhki cleared by the fallschirmjäger with the aux units arriving. Facing new counter-attacks. Aux units in the north (not picture) on their way to freedom.

Turn 12 - Seven aux units on the marked edge to get the DV

Result
Decisive Victory turn 12 of 20.
Attachments
(19.10.2018) Escape from Stalingrad, Turn 12 DV.zip
(99.75 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Tatsinskaya

Insanely difficult scenario, probably the hardest of all the Stalingrad missions. The attacking enemy tanks at 3-star can just tee off on my best tanks at max over-strength with artillery support.

Will form a series of defensive lines to the west of the airfields, gradually pushing east to take them back, then holding that line to the end. Five fallschirmjäger would be flown to take the far flung victory hexes in the very east. The problem will primarily be the defensive line not blowing up.

Turn 3 - Initial defensive line and the first wave of attackers

Turn 8 - Snowing and finally able to push forward after defeating the first attack

Turn 12 - Final defensive line at the airfields and getting hit with a second wave from the northeast. Fallschirmjäger landed behind Morozovsk.

Turn 15 - Line is holding and fallschirmjäger destroyed the infantry in Morozovsk. They'd then pull back out of vision range due to their vulnerable position.

Turn 20 - Hit with the final wave in the center that would deliver some hits to my tanks. Fallschirmjäger landing behind Nikolaev needing dive bomber support due to a tank nearby because they need to end their movement on clear ground due to the frozen ground hill movement penalty.

Turn 22 - All victory hexes secured to end a very wild ride.

Result
Decisive Victory turn 22 of 22
Attachments
(20.10.2018) Tatsinskaya, Turn 22 of 22 DV.zip
(101.39 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Kharkov 43

I found this scenario extremely difficult, dis-proportionally harder than most on Manstein. Lost my first core unit too for this timeline, a towed artillery that got one-shot by an opportunist T-34 launched from across the Donetsk.

A lot of transitions between frozen ground to dry. I find it a bit hard to adjust between the two dramatically different river crossing mindsets on a turn by turn basis; very important in this scenario.

Upgraded two of my SE tanks to Tigers. I'd prefer them be Panthers but needed the extra oomph to get through the next three missions. The other SE tanks had over-strength which tipped them in favor of me leaving them.

Opener and response

Turn 6 - Glorious green grass. So glad to get this snow business behind me!

Turn 7 - And back to snow

Turn 11 - Back to snow again and enveloping Kharkov

Turn 16 - First victory hex taken in Kharkov

Turn 19 - Raining but was still able to seize the final victory hex in Kharkov to end the scenario with a hard fought victory

Result
Decisive Victory turn 19 of 20
Core unit lost: Towed 155mm artillery
Attachments
(27.10.2018) Kharkov43, Turn 19 of 20 DV.zip
(108.47 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Belgorad

https://i.imgur.com/VelEJug.jpg
Opener and response

https://i.imgur.com/3Nyh1N7.jpg
Turn 8

Result
Decisive Victory turn 18 of 20
Attachments
(28.10.2018) Belgorod, Turn 16 DV.zip
(101.75 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Orel

https://i.imgur.com/TWo8MxK.jpg
Opener and response

https://imgur.com/k7aQrfh
Turn 5

https://imgur.com/mzAyR8m
Turn 11

https://i.imgur.com/9VwNYRF.jpg
Turn 13

Result
Decisive Victory turn 19 of 19 (Extended it to out until the end to maximize prestige, the gall of me :roll: )
Attachments
(31.10.2018) Orel, Turn 19 of 19 DV.zip
(100.98 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Yakovlevo

Reloaded the turn 12 auto-save after losing a Wurfrahmen to a random flanking attack. With 46 core units at play it's getting too complex for me at this level to not allow for a single mulligan. GC East is a beast of an animal.

Upgraded all my deployed tanks to Panthers save for an SE Panzer III that had +2 over-strength. Upgraded both Strumpanzers to Wespes which are an amazing deal at only 254 prestige. Upgraded a Stuka to a HS-129 in a very uneconomical move but I've always wanted one.

https://imgur.com/7AZeQLE
Plan

https://imgur.com/Hij6oFK
Opener and response

https://imgur.com/OkWcTtL
Turn 3 - Easy tank battle in the middle

https://imgur.com/CUh8NAO
Turn 5 - Tank battle over and assaulting Dragunskoye

https://imgur.com/FrL8udq
Turn 7 - Dragunskoye captured and full breakthrough to the north

https://imgur.com/dH5qbPm
Turn 8 - Hit with a strong counter-attack and a lot of surrender potential

https://imgur.com/pZqZ4um
Turn 10 - Finishing off the counter-attack and pushing through to Rzhavets in the east

https://imgur.com/vlWRsxg
Turn 11 - Smashing my way towards Yakovlevo and the way is clear into Rzhavets

https://imgur.com/rsbFm4J
Turn 13 - 180 degree wrap of Yakovlevo and getting ready to assault Rzhavets over the bridge

https://imgur.com/k9E1rCp
Turn 15 - Finally plunging into Rzhavets and both victory hexes captured in Yakovlevo

Turn 18 - Reinforced the newly captured Rzhavets and seized Luchki for the final victory hex!

Result
Decisive Victory turn 18 of 20
Reloaded the turn 12 auto-save
Attachments
(03.11.2018) Yakovlevo, Turn 18 of 20 DV.zip
(107.74 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
goose_2

Re: Grand Campaign West 39-45 (Manstein)

Post by goose_2 »

huckc wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:07 am Streets of Moscow
Prestige: 35531 with 59 units

EResult
Decisive Victory turn 24 of 24.
Prestige: 39721 with 62 units
Lots of losses and expensive mid-scenario replacements. No core units lost, barely.
Gained a captured T34-41 and KV-1B tank.

Ok I watched this...and Vyazma...this is the one I am most fearful of attempting based on past experience and watching your layout.

I counted the units that you start with …
I counted 3 Tac Bombers, 3 Fighter's, 2 Strat's
8 Infantry
11 tanks
10 arty's

But that would be 37 units that you started the match with, but you should only have 31 with 4 SE or 35 top...

How do you have 37 to deploy?

Thanks for doing this
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

EResult
Lots of losses and expensive mid-scenario replacements. No core units lost, barely.

Ok I watched this...and Vyazma...this is the one I am most fearful of attempting based on past experience and watching your layout.

8 Infantry
11 tanks
10 arty's

But that would be 37 units that you started the match with, but you should only have 31 with 4 SE or 35 top...

Thanks for doing this
goose_2

huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

goose_2 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:40 pm

EResult

8 Infantry
11 tanks
10 arty's

Thanks for doing this
You caught me. I've been giving myself extra deployment slots this whole time hoping no one would notice. lol jk :lol:

I counted 35 units, so 31 + 4 SE. I did end with 37 of course after the two captured tanks.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Impressive as always! By the way, some screenshot links above don't show as photos?
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”