Tides of Conquest campaign tool - new version with Bronze Age scenarios and icons out April 21 2023

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Tasi
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Tides of Conquest campaign tool (SP/MP, currently v0.4 with scenarios for all DLCs)

Post by Tasi »

hvddrift wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:25 am Interesting fix...

I reread this section from page 1
You'll need some version of WinRar. First you extract the file into a folder, which is a WinRar option if you right-click on the package. You should see three icons - Application Files, FoG Campaigns, and setup.exe.
Hit "setup.exe." Because this is a new program, your antivirus might object, though if you scan the file it will probably declare it harmless. Once the game sets up (hit "install") you should get to the load/start screen. You will see a list of savegame slots then, in the upper-left corner, two "start scenario" links.
I had just used 7zip rather than winrar. My setup would just open, it never installed. I downloaded Winrar and followed the above an it now works
Interesting. I've been using WinRar to extract the files all along, but with no success: just a crash when I hit save current campaign. Thanks for trying though, and glad you've got it working!

I don't suppose this sheds any light, Nijis?
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Re: Tides of Conquest campaign tool (SP/MP, currently v0.4 with scenarios for all DLCs)

Post by Nijis »

Alas, no - I think there are probably two sets of bugs, one related to extraction and the other related to the creation of a path to the save folder. I really need to look into the details of publishing an app, and save paths, and all the ways they inter-relate. I'm glad it ultimately seems to work for most people, but I need to look into the nitty-gritty of what can go wrong. I'll try a different approach for 0.50.

Do you get any sort of error message when it crashes?
Standard Nerd
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Standard Nerd »

Thanks for the walkthrough @Nijis. I found that BEDROOM_PC\Steve was in neither the Trusted Root Authorities Certificates nor the Untrusted Certificates spot, so I installed a certificate to Trusted Root Authorities Certificates. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem. When I have the error, one of the options I have is for it to print details from the error. Quote:

SOURCES
Deployment url : file:///C:/Users/Derrick's%20PC/Desktop/FoG%20Campaign%200.401/FoG%20Campaign.application
Deployment Provider url : http://desktop-httamap/FoG%20Campaign/F ... pplication

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of C:\Users\Derrick's PC\Desktop\FoG Campaign 0.401\FoG Campaign.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Downloading http://desktop-httamap/FoG Campaign/FoG Campaign.application did not succeed.
+ The remote name could not be resolved: 'desktop-httamap'

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [11/19/2018 9:48:54 PM] : Activation of C:\Users\Derrick's PC\Desktop\FoG Campaign 0.401\FoG Campaign.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [11/19/2018 9:48:57 PM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
- Downloading http://desktop-httamap/FoG Campaign/FoG Campaign.application did not succeed.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState, X509Certificate2 clientCertificate)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirect(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.FollowDeploymentProviderUri(SubscriptionStore subStore, AssemblyManifest& deployment, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl, Uri& deploymentUri)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivationWithRetry(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivationWithRetry(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.Net.WebException
- The remote name could not be resolved: 'desktop-httamap'
- Source: System
- Stack trace:
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.
SteveD64
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by SteveD64 »

Hi, me and Nijis are two different people but I believe we are both Steves ;)

When you are in the MMC do you see BEDROOM PC/Steve in the trusted root certificate? If you do, right click on it>properties>enable all.

Hopefully after that you simply go into the FOG Campaign folder and right click on all the applications - there are several - go to properties and unblock them.
Standard Nerd

Post by Standard Nerd »

Excellent, I think I'm getting closer to getting it working! After doing what you said and manually unblocking every file I could find in the properties, I'm now getting a different problem. Below is the new error report:

SOURCES
Deployment url : file:///C:/Users/Derrick's%20PC/Desktop/FoG%20Campaign%200.401/FoG%20Campaign.application

IDENTITIES
Deployment Identity : FoG Campaign.application, Version=0.1.8.22, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d054e8fd6f582d8e, processorArchitecture=x86

APPLICATION SUMMARY
* Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of C:\Users\Derrick's PC\Desktop\FoG Campaign 0.401\FoG Campaign.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Deployment and application do not have matching security zones.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [11/20/2018 9:32:20 AM] : Activation of C:\Users\Derrick's PC\Desktop\FoG Campaign 0.401\FoG Campaign.application has started.
* [11/20/2018 9:32:20 AM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
* [11/20/2018 9:32:20 AM] : Installation of the application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [11/20/2018 9:32:20 AM] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (Zone)
- Deployment and application do not have matching security zones.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadApplicationManifest(AssemblyManifest deploymentManifest, String targetDir, Uri deploymentUri, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, Uri& appSourceUri, String& appManifestPath)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl, Uri& deploymentUri)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Hmm, try another browser to download the game? Not sure about this one.
Standard Nerd

Post by Standard Nerd »

I tried that no luck :(
Tasi

Post by Tasi »

Nijis wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:29 pm Alas, no - I think there are probably two sets of bugs, one related to extraction and the other related to the creation of a path to the save folder. I really need to look into the details of publishing an app, and save paths, and all the ways they inter-relate. I'm glad it ultimately seems to work for most people, but I need to look into the nitty-gritty of what can go wrong. I'll try a different approach for 0.50.

Do you get any sort of error message when it crashes?
Afraid not: just a spinning clickwheel, a pause, and then everything closes.

Thanks for following up!
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

windows doesn't give permission by default to desktop folders, so unpacking and running items from these can or could cause issues.

this is why is pre does the download folder, doc folders, pictures and music and now video etc, with the correct permissions, desktop if you have a crash and try and recover windows onto a either another pc or hard drive, won't even let you read some desktop folder files, as it will or could give a permission error when tried, just for information
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Thanks for that, zakblood. So if players make a new folder on the C:\ drive, move the archive there, and install there, that might have a better chance?
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Been trying to learn Monogame and messing around with the 300BC scenario. Far from done and I'm not even sure it's playable. Thanks to Nijis for sending me the code.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Love those map graphics.
Richard Bodley Scott

TimDee58
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by TimDee58 »

rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:10 pm Love those map graphics.
likewise
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

Yes, they look great.
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Thank you!
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

That looks very nice! Glad to hear that you were able to make it work!
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

small typo?

None maybe should be 'known', as in Known world
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

"None" is technically correct but I think it should say Hellenistic. I'm not sure how "Supranationals" work (Christian, Islamic, Hellenistic etc) but as you can see the Antigonids should not be part of the Christian world (left side). I changed the Roman supranational from Christian to Hellenistic and now everyone is correct. It still shows "part of the None world" on the right side but at least on the left side Hellenistic is there.

This is literally the first time I've coded anything so it's rough.
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

The map goes to Bactria - here's the mess it's in ;)

Standard Nerd

Post by Standard Nerd »

As per zakbloods suggestion I removed the files from the Tides of Conquest folder, and I was able to run ToC! Now I’m having the same problem as Tasi where it crashes to desktop when I try to save my campaign.

Return to “Field of Glory II”