So P&S is a wonderful game, can we move it...

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

AlexDetrojan
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

So P&S is a wonderful game, can we move it...

Post by AlexDetrojan »

...back to the middle ages? It's such an elegant system that I could see someone modding it into the Middle Ages. Yes I know FOG2 is going there eventually but picture how great huge medieval battles would look with this system! Did the developers ever consider this option, or maybe P&S2 might have a DLC in this vein? :wink:
Forever hopeful.
Alex
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: So P&S is a wonderful game, can we move it...

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

I doubt this will happen. While I also appreciate the massed look of the formations in Pike and Shot, I also enjoyed the detailed miniature style of FOG2. And really, why would the company devote resources to covering the same period twice?

Also, the FOG2 system somewhat better fits the Middle Ages, I think. Because the battles are usually decided by a ferocious melee, chosen melee adjudication, secondary ZOC rules, and limited ammunition for ranged troops all make FOG2 a better fit for Medieval warfare. Finally, Pike and Shot is on an old engine, and, while its graphical style is appealing, FOG2's higher poly graphics probably appeal to a wider audience, making development on that engine make more financial sense.

That being said, Pike and Shot modders did create a scenario for Bannockburn, and various later Middle Ages battles like Morat, Towton, Bosworth Field. There is also a Wars of the Roses skirmish module available.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
AlexDetrojan

Post by AlexDetrojan »

Oh, didn't know about those few medieval scenarios SuggleBunnies, I will investigate. And of course you are right the developers would not go back to medieval times with the P&S engine...ah but maybe P&S2 will. ;) Will withhold judgement on FOG2 when they get to the medieval DLC's. Not as visually appealing to an old lummox like me...fancier graphics do appeal to a wider audience so yes, makes financial sense. I wish I had modding skills, I think it would be worth a go. And Richard Bodley Scott, if you're listening, if you are developing P&S2 and the graphics are dissimilar enough from FOG2, I'd like to make a request for a medieval DLC...I'll buy 2 to help out financially, ;)
Cheers
Alex
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

I’m still waiting for a P&S dlc covering moguls/safavids/conquistadors to come out( if only to get to see how elephants are handled graphics wise)
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Yes, I would also love a gunpowder empires dlc.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

TheGrayMouser wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:17 am I’m still waiting for a P&S dlc covering moguls/safavids/conquistadors to come out( if only to get to see how elephants are handled graphics wise)
And don't forget the full range of meso-american from inca to aztec
Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Pixel »

I’ve played the Bannockburn scenario. Pretty fun and tricky terrain for the English knights.

At least we got a Safavid List in the extra nations mod. Even if it is a slightly modified Ottoman list.
Image Image
Odenathus
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Odenathus »

Not saying that any of them are that great, but there are medieval scenarios for Falkirk, Bannockburn, Formigny, Second St. Albans, Townton and Bosworth. They might give you an idea of what's possible if you wanted to try some of your own. Cheers.
Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

Added Crecy and Bouvines in the medieval category. Again, if anyone want to use the figures for their own scenarios they're very welcome.
sol_invictus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by sol_invictus »

An Eighteenth-Century game is desperately needed. Start at War of the Spanish Succession and go to the Seven Years War. Several modders have made some really good scenarios in this period but a full release with some minor game engine refinements would be most welcome. Namely some FOW on enemy units such as the Tiller games have, a Fatigue mechanic, and Formation Change ability to allow deployment of skirmishers such as Jaegers and Grenzers; also as Tiller games have. Also bring forward the Leadership mechanic of Sengoku Jidai. I also think it would sell very well.
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:37 pm While I also appreciate the massed look of the formations in Pike and Shot, I also enjoyed the detailed miniature style of FOG2.
(...) Finally, Pike and Shot is on an old engine, and, while its graphical style is appealing, FOG2's higher poly graphics probably appeal to a wider audience, making development on that engine make more financial sense. (...)
I must admit I would really love to see a Pike and Shot 2 with the miniature style and high poly graphics of FOG2 someday !!!

(btw, 1700-1815 would be another interesting timeframe. Current FoG2 mods of that period are nice)
Ivenend
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ivenend »

Athos1660 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:39 pm
SnuggleBunnies wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:37 pm While I also appreciate the massed look of the formations in Pike and Shot, I also enjoyed the detailed miniature style of FOG2.
(...) Finally, Pike and Shot is on an old engine, and, while its graphical style is appealing, FOG2's higher poly graphics probably appeal to a wider audience, making development on that engine make more financial sense. (...)
I must admit I would really love to see a Pike and Shot 2 with the miniature style and high poly graphics of FOG2 someday !!!

(btw, 1700-1815 would be another interesting timeframe. Current FoG2 mods of that period are nice)
'Totally agree :)

Return to “Pike & Shot”