Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: POTZBLITZ V7.4, JAN 20th (reload hardened)

Post by Robotron »

Here's how swaying Italy will work.
Both alliances can get positive modifiers.
The side with the higher total modifier favorably changes Italy's alignment each turn equaling the difference of both side's total.

Example:
Entente has +6 modifiers total
CP has +9 modifiers total
CP total is greater than Entente's total by 3 points (9 minus 6) so Italy will tick 3 alignment points each turn in favor of CP.
Should Entente manage to raise total modifiers to 11, then Italy will tick 2 points toward Entente each turn from then on.
etc.
Maximum Italy alignment change per turn is capped at 10.

Entente positive impact on Italy:

Tiny impact (1 point or less)
Entente captures Königsberg, Danzig or Lotzen: + 0.5 each
CP played “Kaiser’s Gold” event before “Italy proclaims neutrality” was played by Entente : +1
Serbian troops enter Austria-Hungary before Belgrade was captured by CP: +1
“Romanian King dies” event: +1
“Serbian Morale shattered” event and Italy is leaning toward Entente: +1
“Stalemate” event for Germany in France and Italy is leaning toward Entente: +1

Small impact (2 points):
CP played “Aufmarsch Ost” event: +2
Entente played “Gabriel Dannunzio” event: +2
“Ethnic Revolts in Austria-Hungary” event: +2 each
“Moltke sacked” event (CP advance in France setback): +2
“Austrian Border overrun” event (Entente captures Tarnopol, Lemberg and Czernowitz): +2
Entente captures Przemysl: +2
Entente captures Krakov: +2
Serbia surrenders and Entente won the annual morale check in January: +2
recapturing Paris from CP after Paris was held by CP for at least half a year: +2
Entente won the annual morale check in 1915 : +2

Medium impact (3 points)
“German Offensive halted” event (Germany failed to take Paris in 1914): +3
Austria-Hungary rejects ceding Trento to Italy: +3
Entente won the annual morale check in 1916: +3

Large impact (4 points)
CP played “Fires in the Desert” event (Senussi uprising): +4
CP attacks Switzerland: +4 (Rupprecht)
“Anti-German Propaganda” event: +4 (25% chance)
CP has invaded France but all CP units were driven out of France: +4
Entente won the annual morale check in 1917: +4

Strategic impact (5 points)
Entente captures Vienna, Budapest or Berlin: +5 each
France cedes Tunisia to Italy: +5
Entente won the annual morale check in 1918: +5

CP positive impact on Italy:

Tiny impact (1 point or less)
Moltke’s advance through Belgium and France continues: +0.5 per turn
First CP attack on Paris in 1914: +1
“Stalemate” event in France and Italy is leaning toward CP: +1
Belgium surrenders and Italy is leaning toward CP: +1
CP captures Belgrade: +1
“Serbian Morale shattered” event and Italy is leaning toward CP: +1
CP cedes Transylvania to Romania and has lost the annual morale check: +1

Small impact (2 points):
Belgium surrenders and Italy is leaning toward Entente: +2
“Victory at Tannenberg” event: +2
“Battle of Kamarov” event: +2
“Bulgarian Mobilization” event: +2
“Anti-war Demonstrations in France”: +2 each
“Russian Invasion repelled” event (no more Russians on German territory)
Serbia surrenders and CP has won the annual morale check: +2
CP won the annual morale check in 1915 : +2

Medium impact (3 points)
CP ceded Trento to Italy and Paris is not captured by CP: +3
CP captures Warsaw in 1915 or later: +3
CP won the annual morale check in 1916 : +3

Large impact (4 points)
CP ceded Trento to Italy and Paris captured by CP: +4
CP captures Warsaw in 1914: +4
Entente attacks Switzerland: +4
CP won the annual morale check in 1917 : +4

Strategic impact (5 points)
CP cedes Trieste to Italy: +5
CP captures Paris: +5
CP won the annual morale check in 1918 : +5
Last edited by Robotron on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
onpp
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by onpp »

Hi Robotron.

I'm playing Potzblitz MP 1914 game with Gallean. While playing Entente, at the beginning of turn 3 (did not make any move), the game crahed when I selected "choose event".
Attach are the log file and saved game. I hope you can identify the problem.
Thanks.
Attachments
bugs.zip
(264.67 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@onpp: your crash results from a new variable that was introduced in V7.4 and gets definied before the START of a game/match (in turn 0 so to say). :|

If the game cannot find that new variable, like in your crash report, this usually means one thing: :idea:

the game was updated to a new version during an ongoing match. :o

But, alas, since that variable was not definied before the game started (because in the earlier version when the game was started the variable did not even yet exist), the now updated script cannot find it.

And that's exactly the reason why I write things like:

" Because of changes made to the scripts you will have to start new games or else the game will crash!" 8)

when I introduce a new update containing new variables to make sure such errors won't happen to you. :D
But nobody ever reads what I write. :(

(By the way it's one of the new variables that makes reloading pointless because these get hard set at the start of the game and won't change from reloading.) :wink:

Since you are in turn 3 at least you do not lose that much.
Please apply new updates before starting matches in the future.
This applies to both players.

Cheers!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
onpp
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by onpp »

Thanks a lot Robotron and the time you spent to reply.
I expected something like this (and sorry not to have tracked an unknonw bug to help you). I should have read all the posts more accurately.
Well, as you said, it's only turn 3.
Congratulations again for the quality of your mod.
nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by nehi »

sometimes when switching in production window to commanders review is happening this

[02:13:15][3932]ui/production_panel.lua:911(method Refresh) ui/production_panel.lua:911: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
[02:13:15][3932][C]:-1(method Show) ui/production_panel.lua:911(method Refresh) ui/production_panel.lua:911: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

mp this time, no save
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@nehi: that bug was fixed in V7.4 if you still get it that's because you launched your match with V7.3.
Try the emergency fix in the attachment or just don't click on commanders review anymore.
Argentum should do the same.
minifix for nehis MP.zip
(4.56 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
nehi

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:46 am @nehi: that bug was fixed in V7.4 if you still get it that's because you launched your match with V7.3.
Try the emergency fix in the attachment or just don't click on commanders review anymore.
Argentum should do the same.
minifix for nehis MP.zip
ok, but it should be in 7.4 most likely... it was another match in lastest version if i didnt mistake at launch
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Decided to skip V7.5 and go straight on to V8.0 because of all the new stuff and changes made.
Also readjusted national PP income per turn for all nations.

It looks like this now:

France/PP:125 + convoys
Britain/PP:140 + convoys
Russia/PP:210 (full 210 PP will only be available as late as 1915 because of low Russian war effort in 1914)
Serbia/PP:40

Germany/PP:170 + convoys
Austria/PP:110
Turkey/PP:85

Italy/PP:85
USA/PP:100 (starts with 300PP)

Belgium/PP:30
Netherlands/PP:15
Switzerland/PP:10

Romania/PP:40
Bulgaria/PP:35
Greece/PP:25

Sweden/PP:25
Norway/PP:15
Denmark/PP:15
Finland/PP:0 (province of Russia at start of game)

Spain/PP:40
Portugal/PP:15

Persia/PP:35 (15 from Abadan oilfields)
Arabia/PP:0 (created via "Arabian Revolt" event with 35PP and 4 free units)
Egypt: 0 (controlled by Britain at start of game)

If you see any glaring imbalances feel free to propose different values.
nehi

Post by nehi »

commander "blackadder"? are u kidding me? :lol:

unfortunatelly he hasnt stats bonus, he could be very sneaky...
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Another surprise event unlocked! :D

Maybe private Baldrick has a "cunning plan" after all? :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3-Gt7mgyM
nehi

Post by nehi »

match vs argentum looks over

in 33th turn russia surrendered, then it went quite quickly, until this point france had 0 collapse points, britain 1 for egypt
russia added +2 to both, persia joined cp close to it (turn or two later), which added next +2 to britain

at 35th turn it was like france 2, britian 5

im not sure for what britian received next 2 collapse points (maybe argentum could know, only extraordinary thing i remember was ammo shortage, if it could be that, quite odd, as britain didnt use like any ammo, except once bombarding antwerp)

turn 38 as soon as britain got 7th collapse point, revolution happened
turn 39 britain 8 collapse points, indian revolt happened
turn 40 britain 10 collapse points, british morale shattered
turn 41 britain surrendered (even they had 10% morale at the end of previous turn), collapse points 13, verdun fallen, france got +5 collapse points (7 in total), revolution happened and morale droped to zero, -40%

britian except egypt almost untouched, france until that very last turn lost nancy and nice at continent (just few turns ago, likely 2), like 2 cities by north african revolts, in the past they were holding metz for many turns and for a short time (just a single turn i guess, it was in early stage) visited strassburg

what was production of france and britain since v8.0?
Argentum
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Argentum »

@Robotron
After completion of the MP game, I have a few suggestions:
Units&Techs balance:
1) Fighters now too strong. In fact they do the artillery job better than it. Now fighters can achieve shock 4 whereas artillery only 3.
Suggestions: -1 shok for Armed aircraft tech, -1 ground attack for Reinforsed fuselage tech, -2 base and high defense for base unit.
2) Slightly increase research speed of AA techs(1-2 turns).
3) Bombers are useless, they take too much damage and cause less damage than fighters.
Suggestions: seriosly increase research speed of bombers techs(3-5 turns), +1 shok, +2 base and high defense for base unit, +1 shok, 1 bombardment and +2 AA attack for Heavy bombers tech, +1 bombardment for Bomb sight tech.
4) Artillery too weak given the number of ammo it consumes. Except Germany nobody makes sense to develop artillery.
Suggestions: +1 ground attack for base unit, +1 shok for Hidropneumatic howitzer tech, slightly increased artillery experience gain.
5) Infantry technologys in my opinion gains too little affect to infantry combat capability.
Suggestions: -1 base defense for base unit, +1 base defense for Infantry grenade tech, +1 ground attack Mobile flamethower tech,
+1 base and high defense for Steel helmet tech, +1 assault dor Infiltration tactic tech,
+1 ground attack for Submachine gun tech, slightly decrease research speed of infantry techs(1-2 turns).
6) Using of gas brings severe penalties and almost no benefits. In my game with Nehi, we both didn't upgrade artillery for a long time in order not to use gas (because of the low utility of artillery, its use is not worth the penalties for using gas).
Suggestions: +1 gas effect for Chlorine gas tech and for Mustard gas tech.

Events balance:
1) Russian surprise attack event should be available only if Shliffen plan was played and AH defensive plans still no. AH defensive plans shouldnt give collapse point.
2) French doctrine changed event should be available only if Ruprecht plan was played or Belgium yelds happened(although I preferred the ultimatums to Serbia and to Belgium to be removed from the MP version of the mod).
French doctrine changed event should prevent "attaque" only but not unlock barbed wire tech or give french troops full entrenchment.
3) Some weak events(like Papal peace note or Pancho Willa) not worth the cost. Maybe remove them from the selection list so that they happen on their own?
4) Once again, I propose to increase the list of events selection to four options.

Finally, an image of what the front looks like on version 7.3. Fighters in Potzblitz it's like Zeps in vanilla.
nehi

Post by nehi »

Argentum wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:41 am @Robotron
Units&Techs balance:
1) Fighters now too strong. In fact they do the artillery work better than it. Now fighters can achieve shock 4 whereas artillery only 3.
Suggestions: -1 shok for Armed aircraft tech, -1 ground attack for Reinforsed fuselage tech, -2 base and high defense for base unit.
5) Infantry technologys in my opinion gains too little affect to infantry combat capability.
Suggestions: -1 base defense for base unit, +1 base defense for Infantry grenade tech, +1 ground attack Mobile flamethower tech,
+1 base and high defense for Steel helmet tech, +1 assault dor Infiltration tactic tech,
+1 ground attack for Submachine gun tech, slightly decrease research speed of infantry techs(1-2 turns).
maybe german fighters, cause of advanced techs (fokker etc.), but i had 20+ fighters and couldnt kill like no german invincible ground unit, under commander influence they had almost 30def + trenches

totally imbalanced is breaking army code, -3 of attack result for 3 turns, robo said something about rest of intel actions, but this one is like freezing one nation for whole war, as protection of intel actions is just for 3 turns

until u massed them, u didnt get like no hex in france, so its not about overpowered fighters, but about economy

until britain surrendered and their units disappeared u got like 5 french hexes at western front, as i had to use armies to slow italian front, u were facing mostly corpses there

-3 in trench warfare means like no attack at all, if u remember how u couldnt get verdun for first serious attack vs british corps since britain surrendered

it had eff 0, u used 3 german armies, it survived with 4/10
Argentum
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Argentum »

I agree, intel are imbalance but I think Robo has already taken action.
I do not propose making fighters useless. They will still have 2 shock from technologies and 1 from some commanders. However, at the moment fighters are able to replace both artillery and bombers. They are more mobile than artillery and do not consume ammo. And they have more shock than bombers have significantly less losses and appear much earlier (mid-1915 versus early 1917).
nehi

Post by nehi »

Argentum wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:08 pm I agree, intel are imbalance but I think Robo has already taken action.
I do not propose making fighters useless. They will still have 2 shock from technologies and 1 from some commanders. However, at the moment fighters are able to replace both artillery and bombers. They are more mobile than artillery and do not consume ammo. And they have more shock than bombers have significantly less losses and appear much earlier (mid-1915 versus early 1917).
but fighters are not overpowered, if u need 20 high tech pieces to make any advance

ententes 20 lower tech werent enough

only thing i would change in this matter, no tech bonus events, if players want to have more advanced tech, they should invest pps, not dice rolling for events

robo, how complicated would be to make actions (events, intel etc.) delayed by few turns (at least one)? it could be antirerolling measure if symptoms will show up later than it was decided its going to happen

i have one idea, but as i dont know lua, i cant imagine how complicated it will be...in languages i know, it would be long (not too much complicated, but long code), if there are arrays, not such long
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@Argentum: thanks for your detailed list of proposals.
Argentum wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:41 am @Robotron
Units&Techs balance:
1) Fighters now too strong. In fact they do the artillery job better than it. Now fighters can achieve shock 4 whereas artillery only 3.
1 shock removed from reinforced fuselage and +2 airattack given instead. The +1 ground attack for reinforced fusilage stays in and no other modifications because I will raise AA stats (see next comment)

Argentum wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:41 am 2) Slightly increase research speed of AA techs(1-2 turns).
I've reduced AA guns from 250 to 200 research time but raised both searchlights and barrage balloons from 100 to 125 to compensate.
AA guns will give +2 (was +1) to airattack, searchlights will give +3 (was +1) and barrage ballons will give +4 (was +1)
Argentum wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:41 am 3) Bombers are useless, they take too much damage and cause less damage than fighters.
Suggestions: seriosly increase research speed of bombers techs(3-5 turns), +1 shok, +2 base and high defense for base unit, +1 shok, 1 bombardment and +2 AA attack for Heavy bombers tech, +1 bombardment for Bomb sight tech.
Gave basic bombers 1 shock and raised basedefense by +2 and highdefense by +1.
Lowered research time from 250 to 200 and raised all following techs by 25 to compensate.
Argentum wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:41 am 4) Artillery too weak given the number of ammo it consumes. Except Germany nobody makes sense to develop artillery.
Suggestions: +1 ground attack for base unit, +1 shok for Hidropneumatic howitzer tech, slightly increased artillery experience gain.
Compromise: +1 ground attack for basic unit and hydro-howitzers research time reduced from 200 to 175.
Argentum wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:41 am 5) Infantry technologys in my opinion gains too little affect to infantry combat capability.
WW1 is a war of trench warfare in eternal deadlock. No power-creeping please.
I'm alright with +1 extra shock for assault tactics and +1 extra assault for Submachine guns.
Argentum wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:41 am 6) Using of gas brings severe penalties and almost no benefits. In my game with Nehi, we both didn't upgrade artillery for a long time in order not to use gas (because of the low utility of artillery, its use is not worth the penalties for using gas).
Suggestions: +1 gas effect for Chlorine gas tech and for Mustard gas tech.
The first use of gas brings the following consequences:
your remaining diplomatic points for this turn are reduced to 0.
All neutral nations with an alignment score of less than 55 toward your alliance will shift 3 points closer to the enemy alliance.
The enemy will lose 5 morale points.

The effect of poison gas (the unit stats are misleading because of some hacks that were applied to the last official version of CTGW)

Shock bonus (Efficiency damage):
Chlorine Gas: +1 to shock, +2 with "specialised shells" tech
Phosgene Gas: +3 to shock, +4 with "specialised shells" tech
Mustard Gas: +5 to shock, +6 with "specialised shells" tech

During winter and turns with "Stormy weather" event shock effect is reduced by 33%

Assault bonus (HP damage) :
Chlorine Gas: +1 to assault
Phosgene Gas and Mustard Gas: +2 to assault

During winter and turns with "Stormy weather" event assault effect is reduced by 33%

Add to above: bombard bonus to assault (HP damage) if enemy is entrenched
Specialised Shells: +2
Aerial Observation: +2, +1 against non-entrenched enemies
Creeping barrage: +2, +1 shock

Reduce all of the above by 35% for lvl1 gas masks and 65% for lvl2 gas masks.
Maybe we should reduce those values to 25% and 50%?
Argentum wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:41 am 1) Russian surprise attack event should be available only if Shliffen plan was played and AH defensive plans still no. AH defensive plans shouldnt give collapse point.
"AH defensive plans" do NOT cause a collapse points.
It's the "Hotzendorf attacks" suicide events that cause collapse points to AH if "AH Defense plans" were NOT chosen-
Argentum wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:41 am 2) French doctrine changed event should be available only if Ruprecht plan was played or Belgium yelds happened(although I preferred the ultimatums to Serbia and to Belgium to be removed from the MP version of the mod).
"French doctrine changed" will be added to the Entente event pool if:
either Belgium has yielded to CP ultimatum
or the German attack on Belgium/France does not achieve surprise.

The chances for Germany to fail surprise are:
100% chance if no war plan was chosen
100% if war plan "Schlieffen" was played in turn 2 and "Neutrals Invaded" was NOT chosen
33% if war plan "Redeploy" was chosen in turn 2
0% if war plan "Schlieffen" was chosen in turn 1

There is no reason for France to change her doctrine since war plan "Rupprecht" is the exact thing they expected the Germans to do: attack through Alsace-Lorraine. Okay, attacking Switzerland maybe comes as a surprise here.
Argentum wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:41 am French doctrine changed event should prevent "attaque" only but not unlock barbed wire tech or give french troops full entrenchment.
It does prevent "Attaque a outrance" but does not unlock barbed wire tech. You imagined that one.
Argentum wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:41 am 3) Some weak events(like Papal peace note or Pancho Willa) not worth the cost. Maybe remove them from the selection list so that they happen on their own?
Works as intended: mostly useless "Pope" event blocks 1 event slot for both players until one decides to bite the bullet and play it to have 3 slots again.
Pope also has a chance to get triggered randomly.
Will add chance for bonus diplo income for Pancho Villa event though.
Argentum wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:41 am 4) Once again, I propose to increase the list of events selection to four options.
Why not have ALL events displayed at once so your reloading time is reduced, eh? But seriously: further expanding the event-choice window would obscure either the diplomacy tab or other stuff, so a clear no.

Again, thanks for participating in playtesting to both of you, V8.0 is soon to come.
nehi

Post by nehi »

btw. france havent surrendered at zero morale, i could see replay then it crashed

[17:56:13][4060]ui/diplomacy_panel.lua:376(method Refresh) ui/diplomacy_panel.lua:376: attempt to index field 'diplomacyFaction' (a nil value)

fortunatelly the red button works

argentum, u cant use it to cancel that stucked game?
Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Zombo »

I'll be joining in for the playtesting once 8.0 is out

Real life issues have prevented me from getting involved earlier on
Damn. I thought the super-stukas problem had been fixed a while ago. What caused this reversal of position?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

nehi wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:04 pm btw. france havent surrendered at zero morale, i could see replay then it crashed

[17:56:13][4060]ui/diplomacy_panel.lua:376(method Refresh) ui/diplomacy_panel.lua:376: attempt to index field 'diplomacyFaction' (a nil value)
@nehi: I'm confused. From which game is that? You playing as Entente?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Zombo wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:40 pm Damn. I thought the super-stukas problem had been fixed a while ago. What caused this reversal of position?
In 7.4 fighters start with 0 shock.
They can get +1 shock each from the following techs:
- armed aircraft
- synchronized guns
- reinforced fusilage (will remove this in V8)

If the unit is in command radius of Manfred von Richthofen add a further +1 for a total of 4.

Artillery starts with 2 shock.
They can get the following bonus from techs:

Chlorine Gas: +1 to shock, +2 with "specialised shells" tech
Phosgene Gas: +3 to shock, +4 with "specialised shells" tech
Mustard Gas: +5 to shock, +6 with "specialised shells" tech
Creeping Barrage: +1 to shock

For a maximum total of 9. However the exact number is not displayed on the unit stats because of some weird "gas hack" applied to the game in V1.66.

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”