Like the game, but map angles and navigation are baffling me.

A mix of deep gameplay and rich historical flavor, Aggressors: Ancient Rome lets you relive history as the ruler of one of the mighty civilizations of the ancient Mediterranean. Choose one of twenty available factions and conquer the world.
steevodeevo
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Like the game, but map angles and navigation are baffling me.

Post by steevodeevo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:06 am

Generally speaking im enjoying the game and see its depth and potential, but I am having real problems with the map navigation and isometric view angles and options to change these.

In the early stages of my first game, playing as Rome, everything seemed fine. I could zoom in and out on units and cities, see the surrounding towns and resources and I had a reasonable view distance in all directions from my units in an isometric map view.

As I expanded my territory - but not very far - basically I had the Italian peninsula and a few locations to the north of the peninsula, the isometric view became progressively 'squeezed' down with a very shallow and skimming view angle such that in isometric view it was virtually impossible to see anything. I have to revert to a very high up top-down view to see anything helpful at all and at this height i'm viewing a fairly crude 2d map and 2d unit sprites, much like Civ1 or 2.

Surely I must be doing something wrong and there is a setting I'm missing? I really hope so. There doesn't appear to be a control to change (tilt) the isometric view angle, at least one that I can find. If there was (or is), I could increase the view angle upwards so that I can see more terrain rather than just a very distant and low altitude sliver of a view which is congested with city and unit names.

pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Re: Like the game, but map angles and navigation are baffling me.

Post by pavelk » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:01 am

Hello steevodeevo,
welcome to our forum. When I was reading your post, I was wondering if you havent experienced a bug.
The angle of view is changed with zooming in and zooming out but in general it should look like this
and from top view (2D view) like this.

If you see it a bit different, would you mind to send me a screenshot of it to info@kubat-software.com ?

steevodeevo

Post by steevodeevo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:35 am

Hi Pavel, yes you were right! it was a bug, thank heavens..

On re-starting the game this morning (same saved game) the view angles are smooth and movement is quick. Yesterday the view angle deteriorated and was making the game map look like a thin slice taken at distance and at low level which was cluttered by close and distant location and unit labels making it unplayable. If it happens again I will take a screenshot.

pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:35 am

Please do.
We still havent found that bug but it might be related to the "zoom on attack" in game setting->Player.

steevodeevo

Post by steevodeevo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:26 am

Hi Pavel, its happened again. Worked fine for several hours then went strange again. Its real late and im super busy, but I will try to post some screen shots as soon as I can that I took before logging out to reset the game which shows what we are dealing with.

For now I just want to note that I do not have zoom on attack enabled.

pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:14 am

steevodeevo wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:26 am
I just want to note that I do not have zoom on attack enabled.
I see. That's strange. Please, send us screenshots if you can.
Thank you

steevodeevo

Post by steevodeevo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:11 am

Darn, screenshots didn't take. I disabled Imgur the other day to speed up my PC startup and it seems print screen from windows is as cr*ppy as ever.

I have to report one worrying thing. On both occasions following the game's view getting corrupted (slowing down, the view angle getting stuck, game border gettkng blacker and deeper/more difficult to scroll especially to edges because of angle), when I have powered down my computer I have had a blue screen - 'Stop Code: MEMORY MANAGEMENT' error.

I can say with certainty that I have not had any software or hardware MEM errors at all on this machine. I have run chkdsk, Windows Memory checker, sfc/scannow (in DISM mode) and checked drivers and device manager and there are no errors*.

Last time I had this problem (around 15th Feb) I ran all of these checks and others and had no errors *except for a corrupt file location (from sfc/scannow) which may or may not have been related but I didn't look for the specific error in the log as these logs are huge and difficult to follow. Since the 15th I have played Aggressors and other games and had no memory errors or blue screens on exit and no issues at all until last night, when Aggressors view angle corrupted again and again afterwards my PC had the same memory error.

I am not saying 'Aggressors broke my computer' and even if it did I am angling for a new one with the wife :) what I am doing is reporting a possible memory file corruption error or other memory allocation/addressing error that may give a clue to the problem.

I will put down Aggressors now until you guys are able to identify this error and fix it as it is a fair amount of work and time running all of these diagnostics and it may just be that once the bug is fixed my error is fixed as well.

pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:16 pm

Hello steevodeevo,
Aggressors cannot corrupt your memory in any way. Memory corruption is a hardware "thing". The thing you might be refering to might be a problem with "out of memory" issues, which are not permanent and usually go away with application exit (in worst case, restart can be required but that is something extremely unusal).
So far there hasn't been any other reports of this issue so we cannot really identify the problem if you don't help us with that:) It is almost for sure particular PC configuration issue and therefore not reproducable on other machines.
Regarding the angles - there can be a potential bug in this but we would really need to get at least screenshots and possibly also description of when did it get wrong or if you noticed anything what was changing this.

steevodeevo

Post by steevodeevo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:11 pm

Appreciated Pavel and i hope u r right, but i'm definitely not playing again till i hear about a fix for the map issue. My machine handles every game, has 16mb memory, is always up to date and has never had an out of memory issue with any game, other than a slow down due to a poor memory leak every now and then with a badly maintained game. Never before have I had a blue screen. Not that I am saying its Aggressors fault. just not happy with the resolution of the issue at this time. It could be hardware, it happens, its happened before, but I am not at that decision yet.

pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:03 pm

If you are getting "Blue Screen of Death", we are not aware of any other occurances of such problem. I am pretty sure that this would be pointed out in forums very quickly (similarly to you). Players do get "out of memory issues" from time to time but this happens only after many hours of actively playing (like at least 6 hours nonstop).
Every system crash can be further analyzed with tools like this.

Return to “Aggressors: Ancient Rome”