Why Panzer Corps 2 will fail

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Lifever
Panzer Corps World Champion

Re: Why Panzer Corps 2 will fail

Post by Lifever »

Love the positivity.

Put Connerys chest hair in Panzer Corps 2 and it will suck less than Daniel Craig.
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

What do you say, Craig is great :) , however my favorite Bond was Roger Moore and the favorite movie is "The Man with the Golden Gun" (1974), where Christopher Lee played black character, the best pay murderer in the world named Scaramanga 8) :lol: (he had such funny small man in bowler hat as a helper in his evil business :mrgreen: )
Lifever

Post by Lifever »

kondi754 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:55 pm What do you say, Craig is great :)
Great at what?
Would rather see Daniel play Panzer Corps than playing bond. Similar level of mild amusement probably.

Nicknack, his butler... made little people seem creepy. :(
ClaireRedfieldU
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ClaireRedfieldU »

The phenomenon of Fortnight has always existed for me. There was a children's sports section in front of me, and then I listened to their conversations in the locker room, and you won’t believe they absolutely all play Fortnights hats off to "Epic Games". This is a total capture of the market.
An example is clear?
Lifever

Post by Lifever »

Get your point. Good example of one to own.

It's about the mix.
About a year ago I came up with a hex strategy concept, that could be described as a panzer general core engine combined with game mechanics out of games like hearthstone and a reward system known of role playing games. The setting was supposed to be a darker urban crisis reality (mad max is not that far off) primarily multiplayer focus with a default tourney mode that restarts after the last guy dominates the territory + a secret ingredient to grab attention similar to pokemon go.

The idea was not a game in the sense of x or y, but to take a game concept and position it in a way that is easy to market, easy to get into and rewarding to stay. A new step in evolution of the whole genre that retakes the market share it deserves.

That's what you have in mind, right?
Not just doing old in a new way, but knocking it out of the park.
People today are so saturated and grounded, very rarely the stars allign for anything really good to happen, let alone something great.
Signs of the times.

Cheers
MjrOu812
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by MjrOu812 »

I will throw my 2 cents in and say this, panzer general 2 was a great game but when ssi made panzer general 3 and went 3d....it was a train wreck, they went to far from the true roots of what made 2 so special, I have seen most of screen shots and they look promising, one beef I have with it is the size of the unit icons but other than that it looks good. I just hope pc2 turns out twice as good as the first.
Stephen1024
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Stephen1024 »

Actually funny how many people prejudge things.

Secondly even when game comes out no point judging as can take few patches before things finally shape. With modern age of DLC's even year or 2 before final produce settles down to final build.

Take look at Pillars of eternity game doesn't play same as when released and the added content really helped to make the game a success.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

seems most people just like to have a moan, either because it's not out, or something minor has or hasn't been added to there taste, now days developer have to have thick skins and tbh i also agree with the last post, most games aren't perfect when they first come out and mature as there improved and patched over time, with feedback and more comments, idea's and time,...
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

I agree with zakblood and Stephen1024. Maybe more frequent information updates/dev diaries could help manage the concerns/prejudgements... i.e. if you don't tell an official story, a "story" will always be told, and even if it is just a premature and prejudging negative one like this one...
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
jeffoot77
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by jeffoot77 »

i agree with the author of the topic.

Panzer corps 2 will be just a remake of panzer corps 1 : the same gameplay (with some improvements).

A new gameplay or a new way of playing could have been proposed .

For example, in blitzrieg 3 ,they have introduced a persistant world with a persistant core army which can be improved by making some (hard) objectives.( of course, number of core units is limited for each scenario ) .Why not the same idea in panzer corps 2?

or another example, the possibility to unlock "cards" by succeding some achievement. just the fun of collecting all the cards of the game. (cards could be proposed and made by players with the editor)

what a pity, panzer corps 2 will just offer some campaigns (same than panzer corps 1 ) , the same multiplayer option and ... that's it.
my custom mini-campaign in order of battle :
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302

Panzer corps mods archive : http://jeffoot.freeboxos.fr:41226/share/KmCyju7JFZX6dD2B/
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

jeffoot77 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:12 pm i agree with the author of the topic.

Panzer corps 2 will be just a remake of panzer corps 1 : the same gameplay (with some improvements).

what a pity, panzer corps 2 will just offer some campaigns (same than panzer corps 1 ) , the same multiplayer option and ... that's it.
"A Pity!!!",,,What "A Pity-Indeedie!"...

,,,That the doubting/disbeliever's continue to show 'No-Faith!'. This...then seem's to be the 'Axiom' that they religiously live by:

"Repeatus Un-interruptus...Ad'-Infinitum...Ad'-Nauseaum!".

For the rest of us however!...we live in an alternative path...something like this phrase...

..."Per Ardua' Ad' Astra!". ...or Translated loosely...something to the effect...as... "From the Earth to the Stars!!!". We therefore have 'High-Hopes', and our 'Mantra' is instead of the 'steadfast belief' of... "Never Give Up...Never Surrender!".
jeffoot77

Post by jeffoot77 »

i have not understood your message but i see you want to use the fact that i m not english and you are playing with the words i used. For me, what a pity = sadness or = what a mess .

sorry for my bad english.

Panzer corps mods archive : http://jeffoot.freeboxos.fr:41226/share/KmCyju7JFZX6dD2B/
gerbercage
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by gerbercage »

I hope after panzer corps 2, they can do something like fantasy general.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

all forums are monitored, just so everyone's clear

and yes i also loved fantasy general, then again i enjoy almost anything which is fun
DragonlordStg
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by DragonlordStg »

I don't agree with the logic. Even though Panzer Corps (1) is pretty dated graphically, there are still many, many players who love it to today, simply because of the gameplay. A newer version with basically the same gameplay but better graphics and some gameplay tweaks, as we've seen in the dev posts, has every chance of being a hit with all the fans of the first game, and possibly other wargamers who have been put off by the graphics until now.
Yes, a lot of the kids who are addicted to fast-paced shooters with mega-graphics won't like it - but who cares?
Personally, I can't wait until it is finally released, I've been chewing my nails for months now :-) - I'll download it immediately and probably play nothing else for months!
DragonlordStg

Post by DragonlordStg »

gerbercage wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:26 am I hope after panzer corps 2, they can do something like fantasy general.
I'd love that, too!
TheBushmaster
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by TheBushmaster »

hahaha

Great topic
First look in the forum, BAAAMM! Why it WILL FAIL

The grass is green! don't you see
dmwban
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by dmwban »

Edit: only typos and grammar

Well,

i bought PanzerCorps, Allied Corps, all allied Corps DLCs and at last, while waiting for Panzercorps 2 i bought Soviet Corps.
I played Panzercorps, Allied Corps + DLCs, but i did not finish soviet corps, because I got tired of the passive and scripted AI.

I do not agree with the threadstarter though, because:

1. For panzercorps 2 they said, that the AI will be entirely rewritten.

2. There will be random maps. This alone is not new in the genre, but an over the top improvement anyway. It adds to replayability and removes one advantage of veteran players compared to new players: "knowing the map", which is beginner friendly. I appreciate this feature sky high. How many actual games can claim to have such a feature?

3. Multiplayer support: another direly needed feature to make the game state-of-the-art. I appreciate this as much as the random maps, but while random maps favor single and multiplayer alike, multiplayer can generate a much more active community and brings the community closer together. This is a very precious feature they add. Think of tournaments and public gaming. ATM we only have a few organized tournaments but does the community organize tournaments on their own? I don't think so. This may greatly change with the new multiplayer feature. I welcome that!

4. The last point is personal and has nothing to do with panzercorps 2 in special but with the turn-based-strategy genre as a whole. Many years I looked with a bit of envy at the RTS community getting more and more games and growing bigger, while my favorite genre, TBS, faded away. I've always favored TBS over RTS becase of depth (in thinking) and control. At the same time I disliked RTS because who clicks faster wins and many games are just won by overproduction. While RTS has even bigger AI problems than TBS, because of RTS-specific problems like pathfinding e. g., the genre benefited from the multiplayer component, where AI decision making is no longer needed.
The games I liked most were all TBS (civ series, master of orion, battle isle series, history line, 101st airborne, panzer general series, jagged alliance series, xcom series, ...) except a few FPS and combat flight simulators. I only played RTS (rise of nations, total war series, steel division, ...) due to the lack of good TBS.

I'm glad that the founder of flashback games kept alive panzer general, even without improving gameplay, but only UI (graphics and control). But now it is the time to move forward and bring it from past to present and that is what they do at flashback games right now. And features like random maps and multiplayer even make it future proof.
Last edited by dmwban on Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffoot77

Post by jeffoot77 »

"For panzercorps 2 they said, that the AI will be entirely rewritten."

--> ok then, why still no dev diary on AI ??

caca
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by caca »

jeffoot77 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:34 am --> ok then, why still no dev diary on AI ??
Because - "You can not grasp the immensity".
Kozma Prutkov.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”