Erik's campaigns & mods

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

ctskelly
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Erik's campaigns

Post by ctskelly »

Hi Erik,

Another round of awesome campaigns. It is because of you my OOB game time is up to 4911 hours. I can't tell you how grateful I am for making what I think is the best game out even better. Someday I'm going to hunt you down in Norway to express my thanks in person.

So now I'm doing Africa Corps. Some great hard-to-win scenarios in there. The Feb 19 update made it better, but there are problems with Lend Lease scenario victory conditions (level of difficulty perfect). By turn 1, some failure conditions already go on.

But again, thanks.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

ctskelly

Thanks for the kind words.
But...unless I get some details related to specific scenario issues I won't be able to fix'em.
Bobster66
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Bobster66 »

Hello Erik,

Really enjoyed your Germany West 39-40 Campaign. I'm now playing through Germany East 41-42 and have a problem with the Zhitomir scenario. The first attempt wast a Draw, and even though I held all Primary Objectives, Zhitomir remained a question mark. Since I did not achieve the Secondary Objective of Kiev, I just gave it another go. However, the same problem came up, Zhitomer remained a question mark and even though I did get two units adjacent to Kiev, the scenario ended up as a Draw.

Is there a specific unit or something required to capture Zhitomir?

Thanks
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Bobster66 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:20 pm Hello Erik,

Really enjoyed your Germany West 39-40 Campaign. I'm now playing through Germany East 41-42 and have a problem with the Zhitomir scenario. The first attempt wast a Draw, and even though I held all Primary Objectives, Zhitomir remained a question mark. Since I did not achieve the Secondary Objective of Kiev, I just gave it another go. However, the same problem came up, Zhitomer remained a question mark and even though I did get two units adjacent to Kiev, the scenario ended up as a Draw.

Is there a specific unit or something required to capture Zhitomir?

Thanks
I've got it, Bobster. Erik, the immediate issue is that for scenario-end triggers, the Trigger Event has to be Turn Start:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (410.44 KiB) Viewed 3061 times

But what is troubling me is the "-1" that now appears by default when Scenario turn limit is selected. That's new with 7.16. Is it a bug, do you think? Are the Scenario turn limit conditions in your new scenarios working?
- Bru
Bobster66

Post by Bobster66 »

Thanks Bru,

I had never looked at the editor before but gave it a try and changed the value in the field that you marked to ">1". Zhitomir was then shown as a completed objective in a new play through.

Now what puzzles me is that you are given the Kiev objective only after the final Primary Objective is completed. In the game I just finished I captured Kocheriv on turn 15th, and immediately received the new objective notice. However, at the start of turn 16 the scenario ended with a Minor Victory without the opportunity of using my final 3 turns to try to complete the new objective. Is this as intended, or is there still a problem?
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Bobster66 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:43 am I had never looked at the editor before but gave it a try and changed the value in the field that you marked to ">1". Zhitomir was then shown as a completed objective in a new play through.
That works but it defeats the purpose that Erik gave it; i.e., that objective is to be evaluated at the end of the scenario, not at any turn after 1. I hope the trigger works with "Scenario turn limit" now, though, with that "-1" turn showing - let's see what Erik says about my question above.
Bobster66 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:43 am Now what puzzles me is that you are given the Kiev objective only after the final Primary Objective is completed. In the game I just finished I captured Kocheriv on turn 15th, and immediately received the new objective notice. However, at the start of turn 16 the scenario ended with a Minor Victory without the opportunity of using my final 3 turns to try to complete the new objective. Is this as intended, or is there still a problem?
If Erik does not respond to this, I'll take a look at it tomorrow.
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I'm on it.

The Check Turn = -1 looks like it is intended or a bug.
The moment you check 'Scenario turn' -1 is entered in the field.
If you remove it, the editor immediately enters it again.
So I hope this condition still works as before...
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

6Zhitomir

Fixed and simplified primary objectives.

Campaign updated to 2.3 in first post.

Thanks for reporting, guys.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Erik2 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:09 pm The Check Turn = -1 looks like it is intended or a bug.
The moment you check 'Scenario turn' -1 is entered in the field.
If you remove it, the editor immediately enters it again.
So I hope this condition still works as before...
Fortunately, it seems so. To test it, I took your previous version of Zhitomir, corrected the Turn Start event to match the Scenario turn limit condition and took note of the "Turn = -1" indication that was still showing when I saved the scenario. (I also removed some Soviet units in the way in order to facilitate my test.)

On #johnconnor, I rolled into the all five objectives by Turn 8:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (451.13 KiB) Viewed 2978 times

You wanted the last one to evaluate only at scenario-end, so that objective was not rewarded yet. I ran the clock out to Turn 18 and the Zhitomir objective remained open:

Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (443.88 KiB) Viewed 2978 times

Then I advanced one more time and the objective was awarded at the end:

Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (438.51 KiB) Viewed 2978 times

And, now that I look at it this way, the "Turn = -1" makes more sense in that at the end, the indicator is showing Turn 19 out of 18, or -1. Of course, I could be rationalizing it a bit. The important thing is the editor did not fail when I saved this trigger and played through the scenario, thankfully.
- Bru
tula1959
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Germany West '41-'43 - 1st Scn - Yugo

Post by tula1959 »

Just started this campaign! Minor issue encountered in the first scenario - Yugoslavia... Game ended on advance to turn 16 giving me a minor victory, saying that I had captured 5/5 primary objectives when indeed I had NOT... had only 4/5 ..Obrenovak still remained to be taken, and I had not yet gotten the Romanian officers in to Belgrade... here is the ending screenshot which clearly shows Obrenovak still in Yugo hands!
Screenshot (9).jpg
Screenshot (9).jpg (496.04 KiB) Viewed 2961 times
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Re: Germany West '41-'43 - 1st Scn - Yugo

Post by GabeKnight »

tula1959 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:06 am Just started this campaign! Minor issue encountered in the first scenario - Yugoslavia... Game ended on advance to turn 16 giving me a minor victory, saying that I had captured 5/5 primary objectives when indeed I had NOT... had only 4/5 ..Obrenovak still remained to be taken, and I had not yet gotten the Romanian officers in to Belgrade... here is the ending screenshot which clearly shows Obrenovak still in Yugo hands!
Screenshot (9).jpg
Well, count again ( :arrow: Belgrade has two! markers). Even the objective's description (click "?") points to the right locations.

One could argue however, that "Obrenovac" should not have a golden victory marker and the wording "Capture all 5 objectives" may be a bit misleading in this case.
And yeah, completing the sec. obj. is a bit harder this way, but it's secondary, right?

Still, it could be a miscount on Eriks side, too. Then he would have to increase the VP count trigger to >5, because there are six prim. VPs on the map altogether at the moment.
CHXII1697
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by CHXII1697 »

Is your Sea Lion campaign still available even though the link isn't here?
tula1959
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by tula1959 »

Thanks for the clarification Gabe! My bad! In the heat of the battle I failed to note that there are SIX gold objectives - and only need to take five - without counting them in advance I simply assumed "All" meant "All".... However I did go back and resume the game and did not take the second Belgrade hex until I had the two Romanian officers there - moved one of them to the first Belgrade gold and used the second officer to actually take the second gold - and it still only gave me a Minor victory...???? Should have been a Major!!!! There is still something going wrong here?
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

tula1959 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:29 pm [...] moved one of them to the first Belgrade gold and used the second officer to actually take the second gold - and it still only gave me a Minor victory...???? Should have been a Major!!!! There is still something going wrong here?
Yep, that's actually a real bug in there. Must have happended during the conversion process as Erik switched some units around. The trigger looks for Rom. "cavalry" units at the moment and it should be the "Military Police" units. This has to be fixed by Erik.
tula1959
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by tula1959 »

Thanks again Gabe! Roger that transmission! Will move on to Greece then.... Are these new smaller campaigns composed of scenario transfers from the Germany Grand Campaign, just split up in to shorter sections??? At least for the most part, as I think I see some new additions like Salerno, etc.??
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

The PzC Germany West '43 campaign contains a number of scenarios depicting the various Allied raids against the Atlantic wall.
I think they are quite ahistorical because the original small raids are beefed up with rather large regular Allied forces in France :roll:
So I changed the campaign 41-43 West and included only 'normal' historical scenarios borrowing Belgrade, Metaxas and Crete from the '41 campaign.
A special forces campaigns could be interesting though, but played as the Allies.
Bobster66

Post by Bobster66 »

Downloaded the East 41-42 v2.3 update. Went back to check the Zhitomir scenario and found a new minor issue. I don't know how to post an image but the list of objectives now looks like:

Capture all 6 objectives
objective _2_1
objective _2_2
objective _2_3
objective _2_4

When it rains it pours... :)
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Bobster66 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:27 pm Downloaded the East 41-42 v2.3 update. Went back to check the Zhitomir scenario and found a new minor issue. I don't know how to post an image but the list of objectives now looks like:

Capture all 6 objectives
objective _2_1
objective _2_2
objective _2_3
objective _2_4

When it rains it pours... :)
That is odd, my Zhitomir scenario looks ok. Are you sure you restarted the scenario after reloading the old save?
Bobster66

Post by Bobster66 »

Erik2 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:19 pm That is odd, my Zhitomir scenario looks ok. Are you sure you restarted the scenario after reloading the old save?
Yes, I did restart the scenario from a save. But I often save during the deployment phase so maybe that's the issue?

... Ok, I just loaded it as a single scenario and there was just the first line "Capture all 6 objectives". Looks like it was just because of the save point I used. So, all good!
Marcel1984pl
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Marcel1984pl »

Hi All,

I see in the the last posts that Germany East 41-42 is under analysis so just wanted to share with you some of my observations from current playthrough. I am playing version 2.2 from the beginning of February so apologies if some of the issues have already been reported and solved.

ZHITOMIR
-I noticed the same issue as Bobster so„Capture Zhitomir” was shown as not fulfilled at the end of the scenario although I had captured it and even had a unit sitting there idle for the last few turns of the scenario so instead of a win I got a Draw
- „Raid agains Kiev” secondary objective was shown as not fullfilled at the end of the scenario although I had two units ajdacent to the silver flag location at the end of turn 18 (both at my turn and AI’s)
- Exit hex on the north did not work. I tried to exit two times with my fighters and they just stayed there for next turns

ZOLOTONOSHA
Briefing gives you green light to take Kiev but do you get anything for conquering Kiev as there is no secondary objective explaining this (or it was not trigerred due to some reason)?

DEMYANSK POCKET
I achieved victory at the end of my first turn so something is wrong with the objectives. They should be evaluated at the end of the scenario (?)

VITEBSK
Secondary objective states that player has to evacuate at least 4 trains but the objective is fulfilled with at least 3.

SIMFEROPOL
-„Defend Armiansk and Chonrar” objective was shown as not fulfilled at the end of the scenario although I had both of the locations occupied throughout entire battle so the scenario ended with a Draw instead of a Win

-SEVASTOPOL SIEGE
- Two secondary objectives were not fulfilled altghough I did what was explained In the description. The one with the ships starts with a counter 11/2 and goes down with destroying the ships and probably it is supposed to be the other way around (ie. Starting 0/2 and counting all the destroyed warships. The other one with probing Sevastopol did not work either although I had infantry unit at the end of the battle exactly two hexes away from the target.

VORONEZH
„Zadonsk” has a primaty objective flag but is not mentioned anywhere In the objectives description. So is it supposed to be captured or not?

ILOVLIA
-„Defend Lyoubimovskiy” (damn... that name is hard to spell) was shown as not fulfilled at the end of the scenario although I had it throughout the entire battle and therefore scenario ended with a Draw instead of a Win.
- Entire soviet airforce was completely idle throughout the whole battle. I even saw their planes crash due to fuel shortage.

GENERAL IDEA
Is it possibile to have an option to move only RPs to SS core without touching CP which is in some cases better tokeep In wermacht, considering it has more RP to spend (at least in my game)?

And as always many thanks to you Erik and all other guys from the forum involved in keeping the campaigns updated... thanks for the effort and as always had a lot of fun with this campaign. "chapeau bas"

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”