Really liked the reconnaissance system of People’s general

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Kasperlzhang
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Really liked the reconnaissance system of People’s general

Post by Kasperlzhang »

In PeG, reconnaissance is not white or black, I don’t see you or I see all of you. It represents several degrees of intelligence availability.

When an enemy units is at the limit of your spot range, the player (hopefully the AI as well) will barely know that there is enemy presence there, but have no idea about anything else e.g. unit type, stats, strength, entrench, etc., they are all “?”. You can order an artillery or air strike on it, but expect minimal effects at best since you don’t even know the enemy’s exact location ( a hex can be really large ).

When you get closer, or the weather gets better, you start to make out gradually whether it’s tanks or infantry or artillery, closer still you can tell what type their tanks are, light infantry or combat engineers, their strength and maybe the presence of a hero. And the expected results when you attack it get better at the same time.

Oh and different unit types have different silhouette, making them less or more difficult to be spotted. I believe the UN side gets stealth tanks in late game. And difficult terrains like forests and mountains makes hiding easier.

I believe it’s not a over complicated system, and it’s much more flexible and fun, and it can make recons much more relevant. Because if you send your tigers alone to attack an enemy, the poor sight of them may mean that you don’t know exactly what you are attacking even when you are right next to them, which means it’s entirely possible that you ran head into a battery of well camouflaged and entrenched AT guns.
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Really liked the reconnaissance system of People’s general

Post by Retributarr »

Great Stuff!/Major Wunderbar!!!:

Your's is the 'Best-Solution' yet that I have read. I like it a lot and hope that it is not too ambitious or complicated to implement into the Game.
naturesheva
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by naturesheva »

Cannot agree any more.
Possible factors will affect degree of reconnaissance:
Terrain, weather, time (day/night), distance, height, status (March/move/defence/ambush...), type of unit/equipment, type of unit of opposite party, land/air/naval, etc.

Current factors used in PzC: distance

Personally I prefer a more complicated system to make it closer to reality. However, make it simple and balanced is also important for majority of players.
Kasperlzhang

Post by Kasperlzhang »

naturesheva wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:48 am Cannot agree any more.
Possible factors will affect degree of reconnaissance:
Terrain, weather, time (day/night), distance, height, status (March/move/defence/ambush...), type of unit/equipment, type of unit of opposite party, land/air/naval, etc.

Current factors used in PzC: distance

Personally I prefer a more complicated system to make it closer to reality. However, make it simple and balanced is also important for majority of players.
Personally if only it’s intuitive and relatively realistic, a little more complicity won’t stop me from enjoying this game. You just command you troops according to intelligence available to you, timidly or aggressively depending on your style, and expect the unexpected, like a true general would I imagine.

Of course to players who enjoy calculating and carefully planning everything, it most possibly will become too difficult to predict, because it will be much less like chess.
maguro
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by maguro »

People's general is maybe the only PG I did not play but after reading this thread I want to go back see how that game's recon works. Reading some of the other comment on the forum, it seems like a lot of people would like to see a concept like this added.
uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by uran21 »

maguro wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:28 am People's general is maybe the only PG I did not play but after reading this thread I want to go back see how that game's recon works. Reading some of the other comment on the forum, it seems like a lot of people would like to see a concept like this added.
You can check People's General here. Scroll lower there is also Manual for the game.
maguro

Post by maguro »

uran21 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:33 am
maguro wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:28 am People's general is maybe the only PG I did not play but after reading this thread I want to go back see how that game's recon works. Reading some of the other comment on the forum, it seems like a lot of people would like to see a concept like this added.
You can check People's General here. Scroll lower there is also game Manual for the game.
Thanks for that! I will definitely check it out! :D
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Kasperlzhang wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:28 am I believe it’s not a over complicated system, and it’s much more flexible and fun, and it can make recons much more relevant. Because if you send your tigers alone to attack an enemy, the poor sight of them may mean that you don’t know exactly what you are attacking even when you are right next to them, which means it’s entirely possible that you ran head into a battery of well camouflaged and entrenched AT guns.
This might be nice as an option, but as a standard rule, I'm not sure most players will like it. From my experience, people usually prefer to have less unpredictability than more.
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

Rudankort wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:57 pm
Kasperlzhang wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:28 am I believe it’s not a over complicated system, and it’s much more flexible and fun, and it can make recons much more relevant. Because if you send your tigers alone to attack an enemy, the poor sight of them may mean that you don’t know exactly what you are attacking even when you are right next to them, which means it’s entirely possible that you ran head into a battery of well camouflaged and entrenched AT guns.
This might be nice as an option, but as a standard rule, I'm not sure most players will like it. From my experience, people usually prefer to have less unpredictability than more.
I'm in "Favour" of having 'Both-Options', if it's not more trouble than it's worth!.
maguro

Post by maguro »

Rudankort wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:57 pm
The size of the scenario probably has a bit to do with it. On a small map with fewer units, a more dynamic recon system is probably easier to keep track of. With a big map and lots of units, the scenario could feel a bit overwhelming with a few too many surprises. Personally, I prefer anything that helps to distinguishing the attributes of each unit class. I agree with Retributarr. Having the option is nice, so long as it's not overburdening development.
Molve
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Molve »

The problem is that thorough reconnaissance might become mandatory. I don't think people will find that fun in general - they just want to roll up their Panzers and smash things.

There are lots of great ideas to increase verisimilitude that risks losing sight of what made Panzer General/Corps a hit in the first place: a quick and easy beer'n'pretzels WWII game where you get to play with impressive miniature Panzers that slowly become undefeatable.
GeneralRetreat
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by GeneralRetreat »

People's General was the apex of the Panzer General. It was so good that a mod allowed one to play WWII with it. It was great. :D
FOARP
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by FOARP »

My favourite game from the later series, indeed, the best game of the original series other than the first PzG (didn't play AG, did play PacG which had terrible AI flaws, as did PzG2, as did Star General, FG was OK).
nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by nexusno2000 »

FOARP wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:38 am
My favourite game from the later series, indeed, the best game of the original series other than the first PzG (didn't play AG, did play PacG which had terrible AI flaws, as did PzG2, as did Star General, FG was OK).
I miss People's General... better recon system, counter battery fire, attack helicopters, innovative air superiority system.
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001
Schweinewitz

Post by Schweinewitz »

nexusno2000 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:00 am I miss People's General...
Here it is (and a number of mods), hosted by comerade Micha:

http://forum.open-general.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=176

Forum:

http://forum.open-general.com/viewforum.php?f=94
nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by nexusno2000 »

Schweinewitz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:15 pm
nexusno2000 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:00 am I miss People's General...
Here it is (and a number of mods), hosted by comerade Micha:

http://forum.open-general.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=176

Forum:

http://forum.open-general.com/viewforum.php?f=94
It lives!

I'll give it a shot. See if it's as cool as I remember.

I remember my PC in 98/99 really struggled running this game - I think my current rig can handle it :lol:
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”