The Dustbin

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

klayeckles
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Re: Biblical: winners post your results here . . .

Post by klayeckles »

Div A
klayeckles (assyrians) vs nyczar (urartains) 42 to 5

the urartains got a little ahead of themselves and marched into a shooting match before they were fully loaded. they quickly ordered the infantry to back step, but it was too late, the troops stumbled over themselves as the arrow swarm descended. soon they were fragmenting from tripping over their own fallen. and it all fell apart too quickly. it was not a pretty sight. A sporting try that nyczar stuck it to the end. this battle really showed how failing a cohesion test or two when back stepping can really weaken a battle line. It just goes to show...the first rule of winning is ROLL GOOD DICE! 8)
nyczar
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Late Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by nyczar »

Division A

nyczar (Kingdom of Soissons 461-486 AD) defeat NikiforosFokas (Scots-Irish 50BC-476 AD) 48-21%
herm
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by herm »

Div C

herm (ostrogoths) beat Zardoz02 (persians) 15-5 opponent surrendered
klayeckles

Re: Classical Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by klayeckles »

Division A

klayeckles (ptolemy) vs nyzar (greeks) 55 to 19.
greeks had no chance against the dominating dice rolls of the ptolemiacs. despite being outnumbered and out classed the ptolemy center held on for wayyyyy longer than it should have--even winning a missmatched battle, ultimately giving the trundling outflanking manouver of a pike block and spears time to swing around to end the battle. GG,
jjaquemond
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jjaquemond »

Division C

jjaquemond (Kingdom Soisson) Defeats MikeMUC (Romans) 51% to 6%

My skirmishers were lucky and managed to pull his right flank out of position - setting up several key flank charges
Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio »

Division B

Morbio(Thracian) drew Jagger2002(Carthaginian) 40-34

(2-2)
Jagger2002
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Jagger2002 »

Division B

Jagger2002 (Carthaginian) defeats GDOD (Syracuse) 48-7

Jagger2002 (Carthage) draws Morbio (Thracian) 34-40

The battle with Syracuse was a slug it out battle from flank to flank with 2 hills and a couple of patches of rough dictating the battle. Fortunately some of those fearsome armored hoplites penetrated too deeply into Carthaginian lines and were flanked which also put two Syracuse generals out of the battle early. One opening in the line was then infiltrated while one cavalry unit managed to get open on the right flank. The cavalry then performed the classic "roll up a flank" taking out three units and breaking open the Syracuse left center. The pressure was very intense on the Carthaginian center and left. If either had broken, the results would have been very different. The battle was much, much closer than indicated by the score. Note the 13-4 score just prior to the cavalry charge. Very tough and challenging battle well played by GDOD that could have went either way.
Cavalry ready to charge.jpg
Cavalry ready to charge.jpg (663.58 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
Unfortunately, we ran out of time in the Thracian battle. I was furiously assaulted by light infantry and cavalry while the main Thracian army wisely lurked in the deep forest. Once the main army emerged to fight, there just wasn't enough time left to reach a decision. Needed another 3-5 turns to finish things. Pummeled by swarms of light infantry and light cavalry for the entire game. Very pesky fellows! The Carthaginian army could definitely use some light cavalry and a few more light infantry. Thanks for the game, Morbio! We shall meet again.
Thracian Lights everywhere.jpg
Thracian Lights everywhere.jpg (693.84 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

XLegione has won Biblical Division B!

Post by stockwellpete »

In a very close finish to Biblical Division B, Jagger2002 could only draw his last match which means that XLegione has won automatic promotion to the top level by just one point with his Phoenician army. Well played XLegione! :D
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Division B

GDOD (Syracuse) beats edb1815 (Persian) 53 - 15

A case of head down and hope the armor provides enough protection until contact... in this case it did. Thanks for the game edb.
markwatson360
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Early Middle Ages: winners post your results here . . .

Post by markwatson360 »

Division A

markwatson360 (Byzantine) defeated paulmcneil (Armenian) 47% - 10%
Jagger2002

Re: XLegione has won Biblical Division B!

Post by Jagger2002 »

Congratulation XLegionaire for a well earned advancement to division A!

I thought I would share some advice about Division A provided by my advisor, Maximus Veteranius. He is missing half an eye, one kneecap, three toes and talks with a stutter from his short stint in Div A...but learned much of value.

First, it is very important that you realize they no longer use soft wooden swords, rubber tipped spears or arrows in Div A. Don't let anyone in Division A tell you otherwise. They actually use sharp, heavy, pointy, metal swords, well sharpened! When you get hit by an pointy arrow, it will only bounce off if you are lucky and they hit your high quality, bronze armor. Best to make sure no part of your body is not covered by something that will definitely stop an arrow. Veteranius recommends crouching inside a big metal box which supposedly works fairly well unless hit by a catapult projectile. Which reminds me- no more falling over laughing when a catapult hits you in the ear with a rubber ducky with attached funny insult note. Division A catapults launch heavy boulders at you, or possibly Josephius who was captured yesterday on a scouting expedition. Very painful to get hit on the ear by either a boulder or Josephius. And unfortunately, boulders usually crush metal boxes. Anyways, definitely spend some money on rearming your troops with proper weapons and armor. If you don't, your only chance of survival is to escape in the few moments while the vets are laughing, pointing and falling all over themselves before they are after you.

Second, Veteranius strongly recommends obtaining the fastest race horse available- one such as mine, Swift as the Wind. At the first hint of possible trouble, immediately depart the field of battle to obtain reinforcements to heroically save the day. Leave Maximus Scapius Goatius in command, hat tip to GDod. Captivity is no longer remembered primarily for the comradery after game party as, well, ...captives are relatively unknown on the Division A fields of battle. And the few that are taken, are quite happy to depart this sad and too short journey on the physical plane after a few hours of the beastly treatment dreamed up by the vets of Div A. Best not to take the risk.

Also forget time outs, safe spaces and referees calling out penalties for someone "accidentally" stepping on your hand when you clumsily fell off your overly frisky horse. One division C referee unfortunately showed up at a Division A battle and was never found again- except for his pinkie toe-definitely identified by the small smiley face tattoo on the side. A smiley face earring was also found attached to an ear but those are so common amongst the debris of a Div A battlefield that it could not be definitely sourced to our missing referee. Just remember, they make their own rules in Div A.

So congratulation again! Good luck as you enter the 7th circle of Hades... good knowing you and hope you remembered me in your will!
XLegione
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by XLegione »

Morbio wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:55 pm Division B

(2-2)
I have to say thanks to my friend Morbio, you made me happy :-)
Jagger2002 you were a great opponent, and you deserved the promotion as well as me, next time you will be more lucky.
See you both, Morbio and Jagger in A division.
Ciao
XLegione

Post by XLegione »

Hi Jagger you have been a great opponent like all the players in B division.
You deserved the promotion as well as me, in the next league you will have your chance.

I appreciated your advises, I will need them in A division ;-)

I hope to see you soon in A division, that will mean 2 important things, first I will not be relegated and you will be promoted.

Ciao mate.

XLegione ( Tenth Legion)
nyczar

Re: dkalenda has won Classical Antiquity Division A!

Post by nyczar »

And with a pike centered list no less. Congrats.
Morbio

Post by Morbio »

XLegione wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:52 pm
Morbio wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:55 pm Division B

(2-2)
I have to say thanks to my friend Morbio, you made me happy :-)
Jagger2002 you were a great opponent, and you deserved the promotion as well as me, next time you will be more lucky.
See you both, Morbio and Jagger in A division.
Ciao
I have to say that Jagger suffered from the harsh learning I had in my initial matches. For those early battles, as a raw commander of this army, I sent my men out to face hoplite armies with wild enthusiasm and optimism, only to learn that MF peltasts and swordsmen don't last long at all and even MF offensive spears, at best, hold their own. In the second half of the season I developed hit and run tactics, utilising my missiles far more and refusing all inappropriate melee and my army achieved far more. The game against Jagger was the joint-final battle (along with my battle against GDod), and one of the most challenging battles, which although a draw where I had a slight lead, would probably have been won by Jagger in the end as most of his hoplites, including his sacred band were still viable units, whereas most of my better units had perished or suffered badly.

I hope to see you both next year!... but I doubt I will finish high enough :)

GDod is suffering the same tactics, but is doing well despite very limited skirmishers. Currently the game is in the balance.
Morbio

Post by Morbio »

Congratulations! :)
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Tournament diary and news . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

June 1st - tournament opens
June 9th - all Themed Event matches must be in progress
June 23rd - first Time Control check (does not include Early Middle Ages)
June 28th - all group stage Themed Event matches to be completed
June 29th - Themed Event quarter-finals will start
July 7th - second Time Control check (all sections)
July 15th - Themed Event semi-finals will start
July 29th - Themed Event final will start
August 11th - tournament closes
jjaquemond
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jjaquemond »

Division C

jjaquemond (Kingdom Soisson) Defeats ggarynorman (Palmyran) 50%-20%

GG to my opponent - that arrowstorm / legionnaire combo is a tough nut to crack.

Another great season, thanks to all my opponents for some excellent matches - Messieurs je vous salue.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

jjaquemond has won Late Antiquity Division C!

Post by stockwellpete »

With 8 wins and a draw from his 9 matches, jjaquemond has overtaken greekiraklis to win Late Antiquity Division C with his Kingdom of Soissons army. Well played jjaquemond! :D
Najanaja
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Classical Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by Najanaja »

Division C
Najanaja (Carthage) beat SLancaster (Macedon) 43 - 12

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”