Does simulating history matter in OOB?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

krakoburger
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Does simulating history matter in OOB?

Post by krakoburger » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:00 pm

I grew up on board war games and after college also played miniatures. One of the pleasures was playing games that simulated varying levels of command, from company sized in games such as Squad Leader, to entire fronts as in Panzergruppe Guderian. Among other things, scale of units, scale of hex and time all mattered. As much as I am enjoying OOB - I've played completely through Winter War, several scenarios of US Marines, and now working my way through the PanzerBlitz campaign, I find I am missing these elements. In Winter War, one of the scenarios was for a battle in which only several hundred combatants fought on each side, and in others, it's difficult to realized the difference in scale between Soviet divisions and Finnish combat groups. The Norway scenario in Panzerblitz has the whole country and the scale of the armies is impossible to determine within the game itself nor how quickly the Germans took over the country.

The board games I played offered different levels of victory and defeat, here it is all or nothing.

I think the games would be improved by providing more information to the player.
Just my thoughts.

PoorOldSpike
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser