Submod - Der Andere Weg: Alternate Route

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Arvidus
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Submod - Der Andere Weg: Alternate Route

Post by Arvidus »

Been a while since I came here (with the username RumpNissen).

I've been having a blast with the DMP exclusive mod Der Andere Weg (DAW).
I'm a fan of alternate history scenarios and there is some really interesting stuff going on in this mod:
https://www.designmodproject.de/panzer- ... andere-weg

However, this mod is somewhat being held back by two issues; The English translation and some of the lacking graphical material.
Now, don't get the wrong idea, I love the mod as it is. The translation is good enough for me to get an idea of what's going on in the story.
As for the graphics, well as a modder I felt that I could help alleviate that issue. Unfortunately, I was turned down when I approached the original creator(s).
Although, I instead had the idea of creating my own optional submod. In the same vein as what Soldberg is doing for Legacy of Versailles.
I've yet to receive approval from the original creator(s), but I felt I might as well showcase what I've made so far.

It's simply not just graphics, but details and additions I feel could really add to the experience in this mod.

[Spoiler Alert]
In the first scenario, the Territory of the Saar Basin is being invaded and annexed by a fascist-led France. The Saarlanders happen to have some Arado Ar65 lying around and I felt that maybe they'd make an effort for their short-lived small air force:

The Czechoslovak units are given a bit of a facelift:
ImageImageImageImage

[Spoiler Alert]
Later in the campaign, Czechoslovakia is brought in as an ally and starts using German equipment as well as their own proper LT vz. 38 tanks (Panzer 38(t)). However, they were lacking their own colour and camo schemes, which I aim to rectify:
ImageImageImage

A placeholder unit for natural disasters and -effects exist in this mod, and has been given a facelift:

The HQ units only exist as Axis- and Allies-variants and I thought I'd try making nation-specific ones instead:
ImageImageImage

I really appreciate how micronations are present in this mod, so I thought I'd take it a step further:

Image Image

And of course, it wouldn't be me if I didn't contribute to the flag front:

ImageImage

I've been pondering the idea of maybe implementing Massi's terrain tiles to the scenarios. But I'm unsure, would that be a step too far?

I really want to continue my work on this, I hope I get approval from the original creator(s),
the question is: Do I need it? Things might work differently when it comes to the topic of submods in different modding communities.
Last edited by Arvidus on Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Submod - Der Andere Weg: Alternate Route

Post by PeteMitchell »

I haven't tried it yet... by the way, your link is dead?
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
Arvidus

Post by Arvidus »

Oh, you're right. It's fixed now.
grau81
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by grau81 »

Great mod, I love it!
glaude1955
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by glaude1955 »

Hello Arvidus,

Your new graphics are welcome, can you make them available?

Regards

Yves
guille1434
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by guille1434 »

Hello Arvidus!

It's nice to see you here again! It's always welcome to know about a new mod... "Der Andere Weg" looks like a very interesting work. I have already read some of the document included in the downloaded file, and I think its a refreshing approach to an alternate history World War. I am also glad you decided to make your own "mod-mod" with new icons.

About them, I like the unists I see... I would only say that the staff car in the command post icon look a bit oversized when compared to other icons present on the map.
Also, I would like to help you if possible and if I can... Here is, for example, a Bf-109E in Czech colors...

Greetings and thanks for sharing!
Attachments
Cze_Bf-109E-4.png
Cze_Bf-109E-4.png (16.46 KiB) Viewed 6238 times
Arvidus

Post by Arvidus »

Well, I've received official approval from Sonja89 (the original creator) and while she was at it, she brought up a good point.
If I'm to add nation-specific variants of units, it'd have to involve making new units and adding them to the roster and editing almost every scenario file. This might result in more than just submod material, be close to a major overhaul and involve a lot of work. The amount of work wouldn't bother me as I can add things gradually (remember that I'm still pondering the idea of implementing Massi's terrain tiles), but I'm worried that it'd be unfair towards Sonja89, as it might end up being a completely other iteration of her mod and less of an optional submod.

Also remember, I've mostly dealt with graphical work and I lack experience with more detailed work with the scenario editor (along with other modding tools). For example, I have no idea how to specify which units are available for which nations during a campaign.
glaude1955 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:58 am Your new graphics are welcome, can you make them available?
They'll be available as I release the submod.
guille1434 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:26 pm I like the units I see... I would only say that the staff car in the command post icon looks a bit oversized when compared to other icons present on the map.
That's the size the original versions showed up in and while I'd usually agree, I can still get over it as the icon is meant to represent an entire base. But still, I'll consider some re-tinkering. Problem is... I kind of went ahead of myself:

ImageImageImageImageImage
guille1434 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:26 pm Also, I would like to help you if possible and if I can... Here is, for example, a Bf-109E in Czech colours...
That looks sweet man and your expertise would be most appreciated. ^^
Arvidus

Post by Arvidus »

I've yet how to figure out how exactly you make certain units available for certain nations.

In the meanwhile, I've been slowly updating units as well as adding variations of the HQ unit:
ImageImageImageImage

Not really with the USSR one, I'm not able to find material for any Soviet staff cars in the right angle.

Also, been messing around with Massi's tiles. I enjoy adding to the maps, if I'm using them correctly is another thing entirely:

guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

Hello... Nice screenshots... 8)
I see that there are various British Bedford QLD trucks present in those screenshots... As I don't like the looks of that truck vanilla icon very much, I decided to make a replacement for it. I used parts from a previous icon made by Phcas, who, I think, used parts from another one released by Asuser, a looong time ago. I hope you like it...
Attachments
Bedford_QLD(alt).png
Bedford_QLD(alt).png (34.5 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
Bedford_QLD.png
Bedford_QLD.png (29.65 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
Arvidus

Post by Arvidus »

The update continues:

While experimenting with overlays, I had the idea of implementing my interest in heraldry even further:

Image Image

The idea is to add the coat of arms of every city that is either larger than one tile, has the name of the scenario or is a capital.

Some more examples:

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

With some exceptions >_>

Arvidus

Post by Arvidus »

I'm starting to remind myself why I usually stick to GFX in modding.
Because I usually tend to get overambitious:

Image Image

And that's just the major cities and objectives in the two first campaigns.
Work is progressing with implementing MASSI's tiles to the first two campaigns. That's also what I intend on focusing on for now.
It'll take too long for me to implement my changes for every single campaign before I do a release.
So for now, I will focus on making a release to the first two (if not just one) campaigns.

Still, I'd appreciate your feedback for when I get a little bit too overzealous:

Spiffing Brit
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Spiffing Brit »

How do you install this mod? I don't speak a lick of German, and google translate isn't working.

Edit: nvm, I got it.
Mortal danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas. - Erwin Rommel

(Not the Youtuber)
cw58
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by cw58 »

Hi Arvidus,

It's been a bit quiet on the board lately but since you asked for some feedback, I will offer my opinions.

First, I'm very interested in your mod of a mod. Alternative or "what-if" scenarios can be a lot of fun as you are not limited by history but only by your imagination. And your graphics work is absolutely stellar. I've already downloaded some of your units for future use.

But speaking for myself only, I think the coat-of-arms might be a bit much. If this were a medieval-era war game, they would be perfect! But in Panzer Corps, they seem out of place to me. Almost as if I'm being pulled out of 1940's Europe and back into the Middle Ages. So I would suggest going with the flags even though they may seem drab compared to the coats-of-arms. Let the focus be on the units.

Which leads me to a rather selfish request: I would love to see more units, especially units from minor nations; maybe some "what-if" units, prototype or extremely rare units or even just units remarked with a minor nation's colors.

But these are simply my own opinions and preferences. Please don't take this post as being critical or negative because I will say it again: your graphics work is really, really good. Thank you for sharing it with the community. Good luck with your modding; I look forward to seeing more.
Soldberg
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Soldberg »

I'm surprised that "DAW: The other Way" still seems to be a rather unknown mod here. It's been around for at least two years.

With a few exceptions, Sonja has received all flags with friendly permission from me. Of course all others are allowed to use these flags as well... But since this Minimod is already some years old, it is not up to date anymore and contains only a randomly chosen selection of flags.

LINK Mod "Extended nation/flag pool": https://www.designmodproject.de/panzer- ... laggenpool

I see it just like cw58... The coats of arms are very chic in themselves, but in my opinion they don't really fit into the world war... Maybe it is also only their size... If they were only half as big they might look more pleasant...

Otherwise still... I had to smile a bit when I read my nickname in the opening post...

"Although, I instead had the idea of creating my own optional submod. In the same vein as what Soldberg is doing for Legacy of Versailles."

I have to say that Redux is not really a "mod for a mod", but something independent. As part of the original LoV development team, I was busy creating the (Redux-known) UI for LoV Ultimate when LoV Classic was developed by Nikivdd. LoV Ultimate was supposed to show a powerfully pimped up version of Panzer Corps, but in the end this was never realized, because the team broke up before, for various reasons and obligations. But no matter...

But I'm happy that my work is recognized and seems to be a certain source of inspiration.
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

Is there a place to add in the game to buy fresh Kolache?
Old Timer Panzer General fan. Maybe a Volksturm soldier now. Did they let Volksturm drive Panzers?
Soldberg
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Soldberg »

Most certainly...

Simply press the mouse pointer on a Czech flag in the game... Then the compartment of the CD-ROM drive opens and all you have to do is grab the round thing...

But you still have to work on the taste of the plastic disk...
glaude1955

Post by glaude1955 »

Hello Arvidus,
I agree with the answer of cw58.
In Panzer Corps, cities have very little importance (except for the notion of goal and / or prestige gain).
Units, on the other hand, are valuable to the player. The idea of associating them divisional badge has already been used with happiness by PHCAS.
Good luck for the continuation of your sub-mod
cordially
Yves
glaude1955

Post by glaude1955 »

Soldberg wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:43 pm I'm surprised that "DAW: The other Way" still seems to be a rather unknown mod here. It's been around for at least two years.
Hello Soldberg,
It's really by chance that I found the DAW mod. I visited the DMP website when I noticed a mod I had never heard of on the Slitherine site. (My favorite forum)
The mod DAW lacks publicity and it's a shame.
I tried it and I did not regret it.
It's a real pleasure.
cordially
Yves
Arvidus

Post by Arvidus »

I'm inclined to agree.
The city coat of arms doesn't make sense aesthetically for this game.
My original intent was to make each scenario stick out more visually and try to make the cities and main objectives unique and somewhat more memorable. Having coat of arms on medieval-style shields is clearly not the way. But I'm not ready to abandon my intent quite yet. Maybe there's another way to mark them, in style with ww2 maps or the like.
Arvidus

Post by Arvidus »

So, as I was saying; I'm not quite ready to give up on the idea of adding visual flavour to each scenario.
Since the idea of the city coat of arms was a bust, I figured I would at least this time present a mockup before dedicating hours of work to an idea that hadn't even received approval yet, a mistake I don't want to make again.

While I was at it, I also decided to present multiple ideas:

City names, national (and possibly other kinds of) emblem overlays and bigger name texts in style of political- and strategic maps.
(Mockup; Far from final design)

Before I decide to continue with the project, I want to establish my base of concepts and ideas and I really wouldn't mind hearing what suggestions you have, I'm all ears ^^

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”