The Dustbin

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

Geffalrus
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Poll on new "Allies" feature

Post by Geffalrus »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:59 pm The one problem I see with the feature is that it can make armies less unique. For example the Viking army tends to be based on heavy infantry shieldwalls. Pick French allies, however, and you have effective heavy infantry and an effective heavy cavalry wing. Is increasing this level of army flexibility desirable? I'm not sure, it depends on what people are looking for in league play...
It might make certain mono-chromatic army lists a bit more competitive or at least more likely to find use in the league. I'd consider the Illyrian list if it had access to Greek or Gallic allies providing heavy cavalry and/or heavy infantry.
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
cromlechi
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Late Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by cromlechi »

Division C

cromlechi - Scots-Irish 50 BC - 476 AD defeats Doyley50 - Roman 24 BC-196 AD score = 61-38

Good game, Romans got caught from two side in the end which proved decisive but put up a good fight.
IMC
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: Themed Event: winners post your results here . . .

Post by IMC »

Hi folks

Group 2 "The Wars of Alexander" (334-323 BC)

2. IMC (Macedonian 355-329 BC) beat 4. XLegione (Achaemenid Persian 419-329 BC) 44% v 19%

Thanks for the game

IMC
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Early Middle Ages: winners post your results here

Post by devoncop »

Division B

devoncop (Dailami/Khorasanian allies ) drew with Geffalrus (Polish/Viking Allies) 22% to 40%

Early Dailami success in peppering the Polish line rapidly turned into something else entirely as the Viking Huscarls and Polish Lancers drove unstoppably forward...a general retreat was ordered to save whatever could be saved and the Poles were only a turn or 2 away from total victory but nightfall saved the Dailami and their exhausted horses.....

(0-2)
Geffalrus

Re: Early Middle Ages: winners post your results here

Post by Geffalrus »

devoncop wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:55 pm Division B

devoncop (Dailami/Khorasanian allies ) drew with Geffalrus (Polish/Viking Allies) 22% to 40%

Early Dailami success in peppering the Polish line rapidly turned into something else entirely as the Viking Huscarls and Polish Lancers drove unstoppably forward...a general retreat was ordered to save whatever could be saved and the Poles were only a turn or 2 away from total victory but nightfall saved the Dailami and their exhausted horses.....
Here is the moment at which the Polish cavalry turned about and charged the Dailami, while the Viking allied foot flooded out of a nearby forest to add to the general chaos.
Screen_00000091.jpg
Screen_00000091.jpg (597.03 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
Results recorded up to here.
Rob123
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Early Middle Ages: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by Rob123 »

Rob123 (Indian) challenges batesmotel - (Khorasanian 821-1003 AD) (Dailami 928-1055 AD allies)

PW Khor PM sent
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

Group 2 "Wars of Alexander"

Geffalrus (Thracian-Triballi) defeats XLegione (Persians) 40-15

A tense chess match from beginning to end. Thank you to my opponent for a very good game.

After crossing the Hellespont, the Triballi guarded one flank of Alexander's army as it marched towards Sardis. While the main army dealt with a Persian Satrap host at the Battle of Granicus, the Triballi confronted a Persian relief column near the coast. Protected from the Persian cavalry by the sea on one side, and a large forest on the other, the Triballi surged forward with their warbands to engage the Persian archers and Takabara foot. The lines lengthened as the Persians backpedaled furiously, but eventually, they could go no farther, and the Triballi charged, demolishing the weaker Persian infantry without much trouble. The mercenary hoplites and Persian Cavalry faced off with the Thracian spears for an awkward amount of time as neither side really wanted to risk a confrontation. As the dust from the far flank cleared, the Royal Persian statisticians concluded that the army had taken too great a losses compared to how much damage they had dealt in return. In good order, the hoplites and Cavalry retreated from the field to fight another day. The Triballi got drunk in celebration.

Takabara foot and massed archers brace for impact.......
Screen_00000084.jpg
Screen_00000084.jpg (564.61 KiB) Viewed 2827 times

Geffalrus and IMC have qualified for the Knock-out stage from Group 2.
sunnyboy
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by sunnyboy »

Division C

Sunnyboy (Ostrogoths 493-561 AD) beat gamercb (Romano-British 407-599 AD) 48-22

The Romano-British pressed strongly on the left and began to make slow progress, breaking some of the Gothic lancers late in proceedings. Fortunately, the Ostrogoth successes elsewhere secured the win.

Thanks for the game!
MorkinTheFree
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Classical Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by MorkinTheFree »

Division C: MorkinTheFree - Pyrrhic 280-272 BC drew with Geffalrus - Antigonid 320-301 BC score 55-53.

Great game with many turns, one turn even routed enemy 60+%, but Antigonids rallied to below 50%... Dramatic. I regret there is no replay function, this would surely be the game to keep.

Result reported twice
Geffalrus

Re: Classical Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by Geffalrus »

Division C

Geffalrus (Antigonid) and MorkinTheFree (Pyrrhic) fight to a bloody, apocalyptic draw of 55-53. Tip of the hat to my opponent for an incredible match.

Buckle up folks, here comes the story. For unknown reasons, we decided to fight over a hilly area at the base of a mountain. I guess I was trying to tell him to stay the f#$@ out of Macedon, but I'm not sure it stuck. The mountain featured a small indirect pass that allowed units to ride way around and outflank the other army. Both Morkin and I recognized this, we both sent cavalry to exploit it, and both realized that our sneaky plan was foiled. So back to the main battle we went.

Morkin's army had a much larger infantry force. MUCH larger. To win, I hoped to leverage my superior pikes to beat his pikes, and my Thureos to thrash his Italian Foot and thus claim the large patch of rough terrain in the center. That plan worked........sort of. I was able to overcome his Average Pikes.......eventually, but my Thureos got out of position killing a few Italians, and were in turn swarmed by a tide of hungry hungry hoplites. Backed up by conscript pikes, Morkin's meaty right fist landed on my weakening left flank and smashed it to bits. And before my victorious cavalry and phalanx could reform a new battle line, the hungry hungry hoplites swarmed them. And so it became a race. Trapped between Morkin's returning cavalry and his avenging hoplites, my remaining pikes and cavalry now tried to crush Morkin's cavalry and make a stand on the high ground of the mountain pass.

Once again, I failed to overrun Morkin's forces fast enough, and while I succeeded in putting all of his cavalry to flight, Morkin's hoplites caught me for what felt like the twentieth time. Before they could form square, pike units were flanked and routed. Finally, the Antigonid Royal Guard formed up in square on a hill to buy time while the rest of the army escaped. Surrounded by the Epirote horde, the veteran pikes held out (barely) until nightfall. Meanwhile, throughout ALL OF THIS, an Antigonid catapult crew sat alone and unused behind a few trees back in the start zone. The Antigonid general.......had perhaps not realized that trees block catapult shots, and so the artillery crew spent the entire battle doing absolutely nothing. Then again, maybe they were better off considering what happened to everyone else.......

The field of slaughter as darkness falls:
Screen_00000131.jpg
Screen_00000131.jpg (466.45 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
(2-2)
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

I think more variety is a good thing and it makes more armies viable for league play. A fair number of players opted for no allies.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Group 1

SnuggleBunnies (Syracusan) defeats Barrold713 (Spartan) 55-18

As usual, a far closer game than the score suggests. My left wing was under considerable strain, thanks to Barrold's superiority in skirmishers. In my center, he led a skillful and ferocious assault to take advantage of my backpedaling to avoid the psiloi-infested forest. This had created a salient holding a hill, which he pinched off and destroyed. However, my cavalry wing outnumbered his 2-1, and this proved decisive; as the bloodbath in the center continued, my horsemen, having disposed of his cavalry and ridden down some skirmishers on the way, crashed into his infantry from behind and secured a hard fought victory.

GG.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
ianiow
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by ianiow »

At the moment you only allow one army per nation to go into each league. With national army composition drastically changing due to allies, maybe it is time to rethink this rule?
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

ianiow wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:26 am At the moment you only allow one army per nation to go into each league. With national army composition drastically changing due to allies, maybe it is time to rethink this rule?
Do you think we should increase it to two armies per nation?
lydianed

Post by lydianed »

Division D

lydianed (Gepids) beat Supervark (Lombards) 52-27

In a match up between two almost identical armies, the Gepids got the rub of the green and were able to see off their kindred. Thanks for a good game.
ianiow

Post by ianiow »

stockwellpete wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:42 am
ianiow wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:26 am At the moment you only allow one army per nation to go into each league. With national army composition drastically changing due to allies, maybe it is time to rethink this rule?
Do you think we should increase it to two armies per nation?
I would vote for just not identical. But I could live with your suggestion. :)
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

ianiow wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:46 am I would vote for just not identical. But I could live with your suggestion. :)
This time I have treated Viking and Viking (Ireland) as one nation, even though, strictly speaking, they are Danes and Norse. But, on the other hand, I have allowed more than one Arab army per division because these various dynasties were spread out over a large geographical area from North Africa to places like Syria and Iraq. So this slightly awkward situation would be resolved if we allowed two armies per nation in future.
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

Maybe a poll on that?
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Karvon wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:59 am Maybe a poll on that?
Yes, we could do after this one. :wink:
Geffalrus

Re: Classical Antiquity: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by Geffalrus »

Division C

Geffalrus (Antigonid) challenges:
cromlechi - Carthaginian, Hannibal in Africa 202 BC
Karvon - Achaemenid Persian 419-329 BC

PW for both is classical

PM to be sent

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”