Arranging MP Game....Interested ?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Arranging MP Game....Interested ?

Post by devoncop »

I did offer him Lysyimakos !

He instinctively was going there but after looking at the spread of players and strategic situation decided on Maurya...(I can see his point....the whole region around the Antigonids is an absolute tinderbox :mrgreen: )
Geffalrus
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Geffalrus »

:cry:

Doesn't bode well for me. First week of July, I'm gonna study those youtube play series mad hard. My goal is to not crumble from the inside before I'm crumbled from the outside.
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Geffalrus wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:57 pm :cry:

Doesn't bode well for me. First week of July, I'm gonna study those youtube play series mad hard. My goal is to not crumble from the inside before I'm crumbled from the outside.

What will be interesting is to see what nations if any each player is at war with at the beginning of the game......

Those 48 hours before the first turn may result in some intense negotiations between players 😉
Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos »

jimwinsor wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:26 am
Lysimachos wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:15 am Hello guys!

The Mauryans are on board with all their elephants, chariots, archers and wonderful, mysterious women!!! :mrgreen:
Lysimachos isn't Lysimakos? :o
I am the original one! :D
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Proclamation from Ptolemy the Pharoah of all Egypt:

Ptolemaic Emissaries are at present being sent out to neighbouring nations with a view to establishing close and fruitful relationships with Egypt and suggesting possible ways in which such a relationship can be developed in the future.......

(ie........All MP players in the game starting on 18th July may find it advantageous to check your PM's over the next day or so :D )
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

For information of all players....should you wish to contact the following players BEFORE game start (when it will then be possible in game)....they will need to be contacted by PM on grogheads.com.

Gusdington: Bactria

Tripoli. : Rome

al_infierno :Carthage

Yskonyn : Epirus

JadonPratt : Sabaeans

I will post an equivalent post on grogheads 're players here.
Lancier
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Lancier »

As Pbem addicts in our wargaming club-TWC we will play FOG:E when released no doubt. Anyone interested in pbems can find TWC link in my signature.
We normally use dropbox in our pbem games bigger than 2 players (like WON,PON,ROP...) but slitherine server will be great too for MP for sure.
GdD Colbert * TWC Co-founder & Admin

devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

For info of all players :

Asty, having received some crucial intelligence about the likely longevity (or rather the opposite!) of his choice of nation (Samnites) has wisely decided he has been called by the Etruscans to lead them instead :D

I have changed the list of players accordingly .
Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos »

devoncop wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:10 pm For info of all players :

Asty, having received some crucial intelligence about the likely longevity (or rather the opposite!) of his choice of nation (Samnites) has wisely decided he has been called by the Etruscans to lead them instead :D

But the Etruscans were swept away from history by the Romans much earlier than the Samnites ... :shock:
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Indeed so.

They start with three rather than the two Samnite regions but it seems Asty is drawn to danger :D

I think if I wanted to be in that general area I would have gone for the Illyrians or even the N.Italian Galli but we are all different !
Asty
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Asty »

Where did you get the faction list from
And is there a map with starting location ?
Asty

Post by Asty »

And yes I kind of want a knife fight
To show who the proper master of the Italian peninsula can be
loki100
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by loki100 »

Lysimachos wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:08 am
devoncop wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:10 pm For info of all players :

But the Etruscans were swept away from history by the Romans much earlier than the Samnites ... :shock:
in game (so far) if I'm playing Rome I'll take out the Samnites first (well second, one has to start with the Senones). The first challenge showed this quite well, but in effect the Samnites have the 'raiding' trait and if they get lucky Latium can be trashed for a number of turns ... and this really makes a difference early game where every bit of gold and so on matters. It also allows you to get the Tarantines out of the way before they ally with somebody like Epirus, Macedon or Carthage. Equally the Samnites may well be raiding the Tarentines (they need to raid for the rewards), so can end up very unpopular with everyone.

If the Etruscans play a diplo game they can make Rome very wary but equally Rome can cope with a stand off for some time as a neutral Etruscan state is no threat.

Big problem for the Etruscans is the Gallic tribes in the Po, they are probably too weak to expand much so constantly at risk of a massive invasion from the north.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Asty wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:03 pm Where did you get the faction list from
And is there a map with starting location ?

I have sent you a PM !!

Cheers

ian
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

For info of all players :

Having checked the MP set up procedure with the devs I can now announce that our game will open up for players to sign into it on 11th July 2019 (release day). Password for the game will be sent to all players by PM that day.

Players will have until 0900 GMT on the 18th July to log into the game and in doing so are stating they are ready to get going !

As soon as all players have logged in I will launch the game and we will start (even if it is prior to the 18th) and you will get an email from the Slitherine server informing you that the game is now underway.

You will then have 48 hours to submit your first move on your path to supreme victory (or maybe not 😁)

The first issue of the "Papyrus Spysheet" will be published on day of launch to "inform" your decisions ........
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

loki100 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:49 pm
in game (so far) if I'm playing Rome I'll take out the Samnites first (well second, one has to start with the Senones). The first challenge showed this quite well, but in effect the Samnites have the 'raiding' trait and if they get lucky Latium can be trashed for a number of turns ... and this really makes a difference early game where every bit of gold and so on matters. It also allows you to get the Tarantines out of the way before they ally with somebody like Epirus, Macedon or Carthage. Equally the Samnites may well be raiding the Tarentines (they need to raid for the rewards), so can end up very unpopular with everyone.

If the Etruscans play a diplo game they can make Rome very wary but equally Rome can cope with a stand off for some time as a neutral Etruscan state is no threat.

Big problem for the Etruscans is the Gallic tribes in the Po, they are probably too weak to expand much so constantly at risk of a massive invasion from the north.
All this talk of Italy makes me think that maybe a subsequent MP game could be a replication of the Rise of Republic DLC for Rome 2 TW where all players start in Italy as either the Romans, Etruscans, Samnites, Senones, Tarantines, or Syracusans (for example). Quite a fun little campaign that one was.
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

I suspect several players wouldn't last five years though !
CV60
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by CV60 »

Geffalrus wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:57 pm
devoncop wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:33 am Just a heads up for all players involved in this upcoming MP game :

The game will be played on "Balanced" setting.

No optional rules will be used given this is a "first attempt" for most.

Maximum 48 HOUR turns.

(The balanced setting means players will get some warning that civil war may be about to break out, and slaves have a 50% chance of being automatically redistributed around the empire from the capitol even without slave markets.

(Without this revolts are more likely given the concentration of very cheesed off slaves !)
So how will this work, exactly? The only multiplay I've done for these types of games have either been LAN games of Civilization V with my wife in the same room, or PBEM with FoG2. How does the time commitment work from a practical perspective?

I'm one of the Beta testers. Right now, we are running a 6 man test game with 24 hour turn around, and everyone is able to get the moves done without any problem. In fact we frequently get 2 turns/day done. Unlike a lot of games, Empires does not take a lot of time to do a move in Multiplayer. In the early game (turn 50 or less) it takes about 5-10 minutes/turn
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Cheers Steve. Good to hear.

I am fortunate in being retired so could easily manage this. Those who work may not be so lucky so I went with a 48 hour turnaround for this first game.

I am sure for my second game I would go for a 24 hour turnaround for those who can manage it.
lecrop
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by lecrop »

I have experience in organizing Dominions 4 games, even with 32 players, and in them I have marked 24-hour turns at the beginning, and then I have increased the duration in the middle game and in the late game, when the turns are more complex, because the remaining players have more troops to lead, more provinces to manage, etc. Is this possible in FoG:E?

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”