General fallen upon a winning impact

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Blastom1016
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

General fallen upon a winning impact

Post by Blastom1016 »

I just charged a full-strength heavy chariot upon a medium cavalry and winning with 4 vs 20+ loss.
But instead, they retreated and held firm after the defeat, while my general got himself killed and disrupted his own cohort :shock:
Though realistically, this could happen on some over-exiting commanders, but gamingly, I think it's quite distubing. :(

So mechanically, there's no any sort of protection on generals, like: only a under strength cohort or a losing cohort can get general killed in combat?
cromlechi
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: General fallen upon a winning impact

Post by cromlechi »

What would be the fun in that? If you use a general in an attack you get a bonus you have to balance that against the risk to his life. You could have transferred him to a different unit to avoid the risk. That's my take on it anyway.
Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio »

I believe the chances of a commander death are independent of the combat result, which I think it should be as any time a general is in combat there's a chance he can be killed.
Geffalrus
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Geffalrus »

I had a veteran pike rear charge some irregular foot, win the combat (obviously), and then the general in the pike unit dies. Like, did he trip and fall on his own sword? My men used 18 ft spears to murder a bunch of poorly clad tribesmen........what danger did he face? It was quite funny.
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
melm
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by melm »

There's no need for the restriction of general falling. One can win with two or more generals falling, and one can lose with all the generals survive.
Meditans ex luce mundi
MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by MVP7 »

It rarely happens but almost every time it produces very unpredictable and interesting situation.
Blastom1016
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Blastom1016 »

cromlechi wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:01 pm What would be the fun in that? If you use a general in an attack you get a bonus you have to balance that against the risk to his life. You could have transferred him to a different unit to avoid the risk. That's my take on it anyway.
:shock: I wound like to use the general as a commander instead, with free rotation and better cohesion test.

Will the general provide cohesion test bonus on melee contact or only on turn start? If I transfer the general to a unit in melee, will it (and surrounding units) immediately get the cohesion test bonus like the melee PoA or only get it at next turn start?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Morbio wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:09 pm I believe the chances of a commander death are independent of the combat result, which I think it should be as any time a general is in combat there's a chance he can be killed.
The chance of a commander "falling" (i.e. being killed/wounded) in close combat is three times higher if the general's unit loses the combat than if it wins/draws.

The actual chance is 1 in 30 for a lost close combat, 1 in 90 for a drawn/won close combat. Note, however, that the general will have to test for each enemy unit his unit is fighting in a turn, so he is more like to fall if his unit is fighting multiple enemy units.

The chance for a general falling when his unit is routing and being pursued is 1 in 12 - in addition to the prior roll for losing the close combat.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Blastom1016 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:11 amIf I transfer the general to a unit in melee, will it (and surrounding units) immediately get the cohesion test bonus like the melee PoA or only get it at next turn start?
Immediately.
Richard Bodley Scott

MVP7

Post by MVP7 »

Is there a zero chance of general dying from ranged fire?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

MVP7 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:24 am Is there a zero chance of general dying from ranged fire?
Yes. That isn't realistic, but because it is easier in the game than it would be in real life to concentrate fire on the general's unit, overall it would be bad for the game to allow generals to die from shooting.
Richard Bodley Scott

Blastom1016
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Blastom1016 »

rbodleyscott wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:09 am
Morbio wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:09 pm I believe the chances of a commander death are independent of the combat result, which I think it should be as any time a general is in combat there's a chance he can be killed.
The chance of a commander "falling" (i.e. being killed/wounded) in close combat is three times higher if the general's unit loses the combat than if it wins/draws.

The actual chance is 1 in 30 for a lost close combat, 1 in 90 for a drawn/won close combat. Note, however, that the general will have to test for each enemy unit his unit is fighting in a turn, so he is more like to fall if his unit is fighting multiple enemy units.

The chance for a general falling when his unit is routing and being pursued is 1 in 12 - in addition to the prior roll for losing the close combat.
:shock: I see, it's quite unlucky to get general fallen in winning/draw.

rbodleyscott wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:12 am
Blastom1016 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:11 amIf I transfer the general to a unit in melee, will it (and surrounding units) immediately get the cohesion test bonus like the melee PoA or only get it at next turn start?
Immediately.
:D That's quite interesting. So it's always good to transfer the general to the center of the combat.

Return to “Field of Glory II”