The Dustbin

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Re: Last few hours to vote in the poll on the new "Allies" feature

Post by Cunningcairn »

stockwellpete wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:03 pm
I think there might be a case for more managed army selection lists where, for one season at a time, certain types of army might be excluded, to both create more historical match-ups and reduce the number of asynchronous match-ups. I would be interested in such an idea myself, but I have never suggested it as I think it would be very controversial and might affect recruitment quite negatively.

Not knowing what you might face is one of the attractions of the league. In saying that there is nothing worse than facing a large skirmisher or mounted army with a heavy foot army or for that matter playing against a medium foot army in heavy terrain with a horse army. There is always going to be someone who will take an army that just doesn't make for a good game in that period but they are in the minority. What about limiting the maximum number of skirmishers in an army as was done in FOG1?

However, the idea that I was edging towards with my comments on the Arab and Byzantine armies earlier today was that maybe there is a group of nations whose armies are heavily represented in the lists who might be allowed 2 armies instead of 1. So, maybe, the Byzantines, Romans and Arabs for starters. Who else? The Carthaginians perhaps? It would need some research, but if we said something like those nations with 6 or more armies in a FOG2DL section army list could be allowed 2 core army selections, then that might be quite popular. But I definitely cannot agree to a situation where we could possibly have 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 players with the same core Roman army, just with different allies, in the same division.

I think having the option of 2 armies (with a different ally selection) of heavily represented armies is a good compromise.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Last few hours to vote in the poll on the new "Allies" feature

Post by stockwellpete »

Cunningcairn wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:36 pm I think having the option of 2 armies (with a different ally selection) of heavily represented armies is a good compromise.
I'm out tomorrow, but I'll have a look at the army lists on Friday to see what we might be talking about with this. :wink:
rexhurley
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Classical Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by rexhurley »

Division B

rexhurley (Numdians) defeats IMC (Galatians) 43/18 in a gallant attempt the garlic swillers formed a Ney Square and advanced against all comers, just as they reached my base line their army and morale evaporated. Certainly was a good go by IMC.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: Early Middle Ages: winners post your results here

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Division A

SnuggleBunnies (Abbasids) defeats pantherboy (Indians) 63-41

These Abbasids were a much better lot to fight the Indians with than the Kingdom of Soissons. Cheap Spearmen could beat the elephants in melee if they survived Impact, and masses of skirmishers could absorb much of the arrow storm to protect the rest of the army. Still a close run thing, ultimately secured by a combination of the improbable stand of one of my units of Veteran Dailami Foot against a generalled up elephant in the open until flankers could arrive, and an all along the line charge of Raw Muslim Spearmen against the archer hordes.

GG
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Geffalrus
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Late Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by Geffalrus »

Division B

Geffalrus (Palmyra) defeats XLegione (Huns) 45-5 on the worst map for the Huns imaginable. Good game to my valiant opponent who got hosed by the map script.

No joke - the map was close to 50% mountain and forest. Why the Huns and Palmyrans decided to fight it out in the Swiss Alps is a complete mystery. The Huns had no room to maneuver, leaving them with few options to combat the armored Palmyran steamroller backed up by a dense phalanx of massed archers. Three warbands made a valiant stand against the Legions and Cataphracts, but were ultimately ground down while the trapped horse archers were smothered by arrows.

Trapped between a rock and a hard place.
Screen_00000327.jpg
Screen_00000327.jpg (514.98 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
gamercb
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by gamercb »

Div C

gamercb - Romano-British 407-599 AD beat paulmcneil - Ancient British 60 BC-80 AD 61-32

Thanks for the game. Nice not to face armoured foes or clouds of skirmishers who can run away.
deve
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by deve »

Div B

deve (Samnite) defeated rexhurley (Numidian) 60-43
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

Div C

Karvon - Arab (Bedouin) 300-636 AD (Sassanid Persian 350-476 AD allies) defeated Ulysisgrunt - Khazar 738-969 AD 48-20 for a score of 4-0

Battle was joined on the steppe with a few scattered patches of boggy ground.

We deployed our heavy horse archers on the left as a delaying force. Further over to the right we deployed our lancers in a single line. Behind the lancers was our reserve of elephants flanking our cataphracts and some camels. Our light lancers were deployed on the far edges of both wings.

The Khazars deployed four groups of a pair of lancers supported by 3 horse archers in a line across the center of the field a single light horse archer unit was posted at the end of each flank.

We immediately sent our large groups of light lancers to drive off their opposing light horse and envelope the enemy line on both flanks. our heavy horse archers shifted towards the center and our lancers and reserves shifted right to mass on and envelope the enemy in support of the leading light horse.

As the lines closed, the elephants came forward and each charged into different enemy lancers to disrupt and break up their formation. The light lancers came in from the flanks and rear, further disrupting and driving enemy horse archers out of position. The lancers and cataphracts charged in or moved to take engaged enemies in the flank. Our heavy horse archers got chased back a bit, drawing some groups away from the main flanking attack.

In the ensuing melees, we lost some of our troops in pinning attacks or during pursuit, but overall, our plan pretty much unfolded as envisioned and the enemy right and center were broken.
CheAhn
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by CheAhn »

Division A

CheAhn (Byzantine) defeats ruskicanuk (Bretons) 45-11

Unexpected. Cheers
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Tournament diary and news . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

Just to let you all know that I am experiencing serious laptop problems at the moment. I have a new one ordered, which should arrive early next week. I hope to be able to do the Sunday round-up as normal provided my current lap tap is able to cope with it all.
herm
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by herm »

Div B

herm (ptolemaic) defeats devoncop (antigonid) 63-51

(3-1)
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Tournament diary and news . . .

Post by devoncop »

stockwellpete wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:11 am Just to let you all know that I am experiencing serious laptop problems at the moment. I have a new one ordered, which should arrive early next week. I hope to be able to do the Sunday round-up as normal provided my current lap tap is able to cope with it all.
It's all for a reason Pete....It will arrive just in time for the Field of Glory Empires release :D
Tresantes
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Tresantes »

Div D

Tresantes (Pyrrhic) defeats MikeMarchant (Roman) 45-8
lydianed
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by lydianed »

Division D

lydianed (Gepid) defeats bomber23 (Ostrogoths) 54-25.

Good game. Ostrogoths got off to a roaring start, wiping out the Gepid lights in next to no time. Tough Gepid foot and overlapping lancers brought it back in a hard fought melee.
desertedfox
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Biblical: winners post your results here . . .

Post by desertedfox »

Division B

desertedfox (Egyptians) beat paulmcneil (Thracians) 62-43
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Division B

devoncop (Jewish Revolt) beat SpeedyCM (Sassanid 350BC) 62% to 56%

In a game I thought I had won by about turn 10 thanks to the fragility of the Sassanid Infantry, Speedy having conserved his armoured horse archers and elephants well from the skirmish assault counter attacked hard and had I not won on the turn I did the result would have been reversed. Tough match.

Thanks to my opponent.

(3-1)
Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: Early Middle Ages: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by Doyley50 »

Division C

Doyley50 (Vikings) challenges Rob123 (Indian), pm sent.Pwd 1234

Doyley50 (Vikings) challenges Ulysisgrunt (Khazar),pm sent. Pwd1234.
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Re: The Allies poll is now closed , , , 21-7 in favour of their introduction next season.

Post by pantherboy »

What I used to do back in the LOEG days was:

For the period based leagues (e.g. Classical, Dark Ages etc.) each player is required to select a specific army list (e.g. Early Armenian – Tigran the Great) from the appropriate DAG (ROR, SOA, IF & SAS) and post it to the appropriate thread for their League (e.g. Season 6 Recruitment - Classical). In each group no two players are permitted to field an identical list though each variant may be fielded by a different player. For example one player may select Bosporan (early) while another takes Bosporan (mid) and finally a third player opts for Bosporan (late). Each season players are not allowed to reselect an army list they have chosen in a previous season until they have played 5 different lists with each list originating from a different nation. I wish to encourage variety within the league and broaden players play styles.
lydianed

Re: General Shapur has won Late Antiquity Division D!

Post by lydianed »

Excellent work!
IMC
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by IMC »

Division B

IMC - Galatian 280-63 BC beat herm - Ptolemaic 320-167 BC

50% 20%

Thanks for the game

IMC

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”