Wolves From The Sea now available!

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Scrumpy »

On a related topic, are there any good sites or books about Harold's Welsh campaigns ?
tadamson
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by tadamson »

Scrumpy wrote:On a related topic, are there any good sites or books about Harold's Welsh campaigns ?
I fear not, I don't even recall any good papers in the journals!
DaiSho
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by DaiSho »

Scrumpy wrote:Therefore William the Tanner obviously used loaded dice. :D
Pr :!: ck :shock: .

I hate people who do that!

If I ever come across this William fella across a wargames table I'll refuse to play him. It's just not on!

:)
spike
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by spike »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:At Hastings the Saxons would have been on ++ at impact, and ++ in melee against the knights.

Therefore William the Tanner obviously used loaded dice. :D
However, we are working on the assumption that much of the fyrd at Hastings would be rated as Protected, Poor.
Thats one hell of an assumption!
Most of fyrd of Essex and Wessex were probably unengaged at Stamford Bridge, due to the requirements of bringing in the harvest in. Starvation would have been mentioned in the ASC, if the harvest was poor or uncollected.
The majority of the troops marching North and South would have been the Huscales, and they were on horseback.
But there would be a large proportion, of the lesser equiped men, who would have been stood behind the men with armour, whilst this overall would make the BG's only protected, they are probably still average in troop classification.

So the Milites hit the line at -- and fight at the melee at -, so you need some luck, and this battle did last most of the day.

Spike
IanB3406
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by IanB3406 »

Of course in FOG you just have your skirmishing archers pick a spot and shoot for 5-6 turns......The Saxon's have no skirmishers and eventually you are gonna get them to drop somewhere.....or they can chase the skirmishers off the hill which is what you want.

Unless Harold has an IC umbrella? --which might make this pointless.

By the way, I had always heard that the Huscarls where used to re-inforce the Fryd battle line in this battle and not deployed as a separate unit. I wonder if this would be better represented by having the option to take no Huscarls and upgrade several Fryd Units as Superior (but stay protected assuming the effect was more to moral).

Ian
tadamson
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by tadamson »

IanB3406 wrote:Of course in FOG you just have your skirmishing archers pick a spot and shoot for 5-6 turns......The Saxon's have no skirmishers and eventually you are gonna get them to drop somewhere.....or they can chase the skirmishers off the hill which is what you want.
historically, the missiles from the rear ranks kept archers at bay :?

Unless Harold has an IC umbrella? --which might make this pointless.

By the way, I had always heard that the Huscarls where used to re-inforce the Fryd battle line in this battle and not deployed as a separate unit. I wonder if this would be better represented by having the option to take no Huscarls and upgrade several Fryd Units as Superior (but stay protected assuming the effect was more to moral).

Ian
Huscarls were bodyguard troops and stayed around the leader. Though were there were enough to be a 'unit' is debatable. The theigns, 5 hide men etc of the mounted warband dismounted at Hastings (and probably at other battles) and seemed to mix with the ceorls in the shieldwall.

Tom..
madaxeman
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by madaxeman »

Scrumpy wrote:On a related topic, are there any good sites or books about Harold's Welsh campaigns ?
This is a touch late, but many of the books listed on this page cover the full period of Welsh military history...

http://www.madaxeman.com/wiki2/tiki-ind ... eval+Welsh

Tim
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy »

Thanks Tim.
PyrrhicVictory
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by PyrrhicVictory »

IanB3406 wrote:Unless Harold has an IC umbrella? --which might make this pointless.
Ian
I do not think this is a bad assumption. Harold Godwinson marched his army all the way to Stamford and defeated Harald Hardrada, a noted commander in his own right. Then hard-marched his army back to Hastings. There he was able to hold his army together and repulse wave after wave of Norman charges, and held his army in check to not fall for feigned retreats. However very shortly after his death, his army fell due to pursuit of retreating/ feigned retreating troops.
vsolfronk
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by vsolfronk »

Perhaps there should be a mechanism for an un-attached leader getting "an arrow through the eye/falling over door-nail dead." Perhaps in JAP, the owning player rolls- needing boxcars twice in a row for each nattached commander!
evileli
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by evileli »

I don't know if this really a mistake or not, but is there a reason that Normans Do Not have Bretons as a ally choice?
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

The notes under the Breton ally may explain.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
caliban66
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by caliban66 »

I friend of mine said that he was surprised with anglodanes due to their Non-norman mercenary superior armoured LS/Sw cavalry. Was he right. Have the Anglodanes such cavalry without norman mercenaries?
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

IIRC they can have lots and lots of average cavalry.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

caliban66 wrote:I friend of mine said that he was surprised with anglodanes due to their Non-norman mercenary superior armoured LS/Sw cavalry. Was he right. Have the Anglodanes such cavalry without norman mercenaries?

Not mercenaries it is the Huscarls fighting as cavalry.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
robertthebruce
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by robertthebruce »

caliban66 wrote:
I friend of mine said that he was surprised with anglodanes due to their Non-norman mercenary superior armoured LS/Sw cavalry. Was he right. Have the Anglodanes such cavalry without norman mercenaries?

The army list explain it, I can´t believe that Huscarls ride on horses into the battle and fight ever on foot.

Cheers

David

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”