The Dustbin

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

lydianed
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Late Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by lydianed »

Division D

lydianed (Gepid) drew with MikeMarchant (Roman) 37:59.

This was nearly a win for Mike who has promised to write a battle report. If the game lasted another turn he'd have had a victory. One of the most enjoyable battles ever.

That's it for me in this division this season. Thanks to my opponents and hats off again to the unstoppable Gen. Shapur.

(2-2)
MikeMarchant
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MikeMarchant »

Once again the battle is shaped and dominated by the terrain and it’s all on the Roman left flank. First a forest and then well ahead of the Roman deployment a stream, over which lies a range of hills stretching up to the Gepid rear. Hills which are entirely covered with rough terrain.

None of this is suitable for legionaries and none of this is suitable for Gepids. The clear open terrain dominating the rest of the battlefield is too large and too open for Roman legionary cohorts to operate against a fast and fluid heavy cavalry army like the Gepids.

Instead of deploying in line, as would be normal, the Romans deployed in two columns. The left hand column containing the auxiliaries and the tiny Roman cavalry contingent marched around the forest over some rocky hills and up towards the deep stream and the rocky hills beyond. The right hand column, consisting of various flavours of legionary, marched through open ground skirting the right hand side of the forest also heading for the stream.

The Gepid force advanced at pace towards the Romans, led by a cloud of lights. The lights harried the legionary advance without retaliation and the lancers crossed the deep stream to engage, but the Gepid heavy infantry remained on the Gepid side of the stream.

The head of the legionary column hit the stream just in time to perform a right turn on the spot, leaving them in two lines facing the threatening cavalry. Wary of charging the front of the legionaries, the Gepid lancers hold back and fan out, probing deep towards the Roman rear, while their lights continue their unopposed barrage of the legionaries.

Meanwhile, behind them, the auxiliaries have slogged over hills, across the stream and are head up into the second row of hills, to form another line facing the right side of the battlefield. The Gepid heavy infantry formed up to oppose the auxiliaries with a line of their own, on the flat at the foot of the hills. The two cavalry alae stand guard at the furthest extent of this line.

By now, the lights have started to disrupt some of the legionary cohorts and the lancers have started to charge in. The Romans stood braced, holding the line, and although there are casualties on the Roman side, they ride out the storm.

After a few turns of this the legionaries switched to the offensive and advanced towards the lancers. It’s slow and it’s bloody, but eventually the legionaries sweep the lancers away and swing their line up towards the stream. A careful and well timed strike by the auxiliaries at the near end of the hill coincided with the legionaries starting to get their feet wet, and a very long and very slow slogging match began with the Gepid heavy foot.

One of the cavalry alae broke for the open at the other end of the hills and swept down to the rear of the Gepids and some of the Gepid heavy infantry had to break line to try to block them. Once the Gepid line was weakened more auxiliaries attacked down the hill.

Apart from a few cohorts, holding back the few remaining lancers on the Roman side of the stream, the rest of the legionary cohorts had crossed the stream, reformed a coherent line and were marching on the German rear, with auxiliaries pouring down from the hills opposite them. The Gepids are now surrounded and about to be slaughtered, but then the light goes out and there’s no-one qualified to change the bulb.

I realise I have focussed more on the Roman doings than the brilliance of the Gepid manoeuvres, but that’s because I was hiding under the desk with my fingers in my ears when the Gepids were doing their brilliant manoeuvres, and so I noticed them far less.

This was perhaps the most enjoyable battle I have yet played in FoG (either 1 or 2). It was an incredibly careful battle of manoeuvre and timing and one where I always felt that disaster was just one small mistake away. I always knew what it was I wanted to do, but I did not know whether I would be able to achieve it. Nerve racking throughout and a battle where I took heavy losses at the beginning (was well behind) while patiently waiting for the right moment to strike. I got that wrong, I think. I should have let my legionaries loose a turn earlier and should have let my auxiliaries loose a turn (or maybe two) earlier – those differences in timing probably led to the battle timing-out, but I’ll never know for sure – they might instead have resulted in disaster.

All the way through this was a battle of very fine margins and all the way through it was unclear how it would end up. That’s the best sort of battle.

Thanks for a really great game, lydianed – thoroughly enjoyable.

Best Wishes

Mike
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Poll on player army choices restriction

Post by stockwellpete »

paulmcneil wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:55 am Personally I like the paired challenges we get in the slitherine tournament, perhaps you can pick any army but have to play a paired match with your opponent's army?
It is a good idea in theory, but in practice it would mean that divisions would have to consist of just 6 players. At the moment each player plays 9 matches in a division; in a division of six players playing paired games, the match count for each player would be 10.
Barrold713
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Biblical: winners post your results here . . .

Post by Barrold713 »

Division B

Barrold713 (Corinthians and their rich eponymous leather) defeats paulmcneil (Thracians) 61-31
nyczar

Re: Poll on player army choices restriction

Post by nyczar »

I voted no because in one division I have enjoyed putting on kilts and becoming effective in the use of horse and chariot; it still remains fun for me to play them. In other divisions I experiment, but being a good but not godlike player, I find my experiments tend to end with my crushing given the level I play in. Both to play one list and try others are my choices, subject to the rank allocation rule we voted on earlier. I don't want to be forced to play new lists, because someone else wants me to be diversified. If I have formed an affinity for one particular list, let me become awesome with them so that my enemies tremble with the knowledge they will face blue paint and mobile spears. Had the digital league been established in the beginning, as Patherboy's was to push extraordinary diversified play, that would be one thing. In this case, with 5 seasons of freedom established, I dont want any yoke on my choice, even if it seems limited in scope.
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

MikeMarchant wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:01 pm Once again the battle is shaped and dominated by the terrain and it’s all on the Roman left flank. First a forest and then well ahead of the Roman deployment a stream, over which lies a range of hills stretching up to the Gepid rear. Hills which are entirely covered with rough terrain.

None of this is suitable for legionaries and none of this is suitable for Gepids. The clear open terrain dominating the rest of the battlefield is too large and too open for Roman legionary cohorts to operate against a fast and fluid heavy cavalry army like the Gepids.

Instead of deploying in line, as would be normal, the Romans deployed in two columns. The left hand column containing the auxiliaries and the tiny Roman cavalry contingent marched around the forest over some rocky hills and up towards the deep stream and the rocky hills beyond. The right hand column, consisting of various flavours of legionary, marched through open ground skirting the right hand side of the forest also heading for the stream.

The Gepid force advanced at pace towards the Romans, led by a cloud of lights. The lights harried the legionary advance without retaliation and the lancers crossed the deep stream to engage, but the Gepid heavy infantry remained on the Gepid side of the stream.

The head of the legionary column hit the stream just in time to perform a right turn on the spot, leaving them in two lines facing the threatening cavalry. Wary of charging the front of the legionaries, the Gepid lancers hold back and fan out, probing deep towards the Roman rear, while their lights continue their unopposed barrage of the legionaries.

Meanwhile, behind them, the auxiliaries have slogged over hills, across the stream and are head up into the second row of hills, to form another line facing the right side of the battlefield. The Gepid heavy infantry formed up to oppose the auxiliaries with a line of their own, on the flat at the foot of the hills. The two cavalry alae stand guard at the furthest extent of this line.

By now, the lights have started to disrupt some of the legionary cohorts and the lancers have started to charge in. The Romans stood braced, holding the line, and although there are casualties on the Roman side, they ride out the storm.

After a few turns of this the legionaries switched to the offensive and advanced towards the lancers. It’s slow and it’s bloody, but eventually the legionaries sweep the lancers away and swing their line up towards the stream. A careful and well timed strike by the auxiliaries at the near end of the hill coincided with the legionaries starting to get their feet wet, and a very long and very slow slogging match began with the Gepid heavy foot.

One of the cavalry alae broke for the open at the other end of the hills and swept down to the rear of the Gepids and some of the Gepid heavy infantry had to break line to try to block them. Once the Gepid line was weakened more auxiliaries attacked down the hill.

Apart from a few cohorts, holding back the few remaining lancers on the Roman side of the stream, the rest of the legionary cohorts had crossed the stream, reformed a coherent line and were marching on the German rear, with auxiliaries pouring down from the hills opposite them. The Gepids are now surrounded and about to be slaughtered, but then the light goes out and there’s no-one qualified to change the bulb.

I realise I have focussed more on the Roman doings than the brilliance of the Gepid manoeuvres, but that’s because I was hiding under the desk with my fingers in my ears when the Gepids were doing their brilliant manoeuvres, and so I noticed them far less.

This was perhaps the most enjoyable battle I have yet played in FoG (either 1 or 2). It was an incredibly careful battle of manoeuvre and timing and one where I always felt that disaster was just one small mistake away. I always knew what it was I wanted to do, but I did not know whether I would be able to achieve it. Nerve racking throughout and a battle where I took heavy losses at the beginning (was well behind) while patiently waiting for the right moment to strike. I got that wrong, I think. I should have let my legionaries loose a turn earlier and should have let my auxiliaries loose a turn (or maybe two) earlier – those differences in timing probably led to the battle timing-out, but I’ll never know for sure – they might instead have resulted in disaster.

All the way through this was a battle of very fine margins and all the way through it was unclear how it would end up. That’s the best sort of battle.

Thanks for a really great game, lydianed – thoroughly enjoyable.

Best Wishes

Mike
Well written Mike! It's nice to see some names from the long forgotten FOG1 era battling it out once again.

PS You can come out from under that desk it's all over now :lol:
KiFi
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Early Middle Ages: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by KiFi »

KiFi - French 888-1049 AD (no allies) challenges Ulysisgrunt - Khazar 738-969 AD (no allies)

Password: Paris

PM Sent
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Early Middle Ages: winners post your results here

Post by batesmotel »

Div C

batesmotel (Khorasanian) beat KlFl (Franks) 44%-14%

Thanks for the game.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Message for dkalenda

Post by stockwellpete »

I need to know how your Themed Event QF with Triarii is progressing. The deadline is 9pm tomorrow evening. If your PM's are not working then you need to report it in the Technical forum. :wink:
MikeMarchant

Post by MikeMarchant »

Cunningcairn wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:42 am
Well written Mike! It's nice to see some names from the long forgotten FOG1 era battling it out once again.

PS You can come out from under that desk it's all over now :lol:

Thanks, Martin, I've managed to emerge now.

Best Wishes

Mike
ruskicanuk
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Early Middle Ages: winners post your results here

Post by ruskicanuk »

Div A
ruskicanuk - Breton 411-579 AD (no allies) defeats Triarii - Dailami 928-1055 AD (Arab (Syria/Iraq) 1009-1150 AD allies), 58 - 31, fun one!
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: Themed Event: winners post your results here . . .

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Match 1

Pydna

SnuggleBunnies (Roman) defeats IMC (Macedonian) 40-7

GG

Snugglebunnies wins 2-0 and will play either dkalenda or Triarii in the semi-final.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
phoyle3290
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Late Antiquity: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by phoyle3290 »

Div D

phoyle3290 - Jewish Revolt 66-135 AD challenges bomber23 - Ostrogoth 493-561 AD

pw bomber23

pm sent
phoyle3290

Re: Late Antiquity: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by phoyle3290 »

Div D

phoyle3290 - Jewish Revolt 66-135 AD challenges eobrian2 Kushan 130BC - 476AD

pw eobrian2

PM sent
dkalenda

Re: Message for dkalenda

Post by dkalenda »

The matches are 7 to 11 and 4 to 11 (if I remember well!) for my side, now the army are in contact and soonn the blood will come.

Just some clarifications about the situation: I'm in the middle of nowhere, in the Serbia forest, I'm playing with an old MacBook where I see only a reduce part of the battlefield (Pydna is huge...), that's why my delay... and also that's why maybe I'm not able to read PM. In case of adjudication I think Triarii should gain to the next step in Theme Event as I obliged him to pursue me in the... forest in order to play.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Re: Classical Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by Nijis »

Div B

Seleucids (Nijis) draw Ptolemies (herm) 63-62, Seleucids holding the field.

Old school Successor carnage. Phalanx vs phalanx, elephant vs elephant, lancers and thureophoroi jockeying on the flanks.

(2-2)
phoyle3290

Post by phoyle3290 »

Div D

phoyle3290 - Carthaginian 216-203 BC defeats SawyerK - Seleucid 205-167 BC - 42-10

After some seriously bad luck for my opponent, I was given ample time to form several flank maneuvers sending his pikes in the other direction.

Thanks for the game!
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Classical Antiquity            A-D tables.jpg
Classical Antiquity A-D tables.jpg (936.86 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Weekly round-up
There are still four players in with a chance of winning Division A and they all registered wins this week. harveylh (Ptolemaic) is still on top but dkalenda (Lysimachid) has moved closer with 2 more wins. klayeckles (Achaemenid Persians) remains unbeaten after 4 matches and Triarii (Hannibal in Africa) has 4 wins from 5 starts. deve (Samnite) has won automatic promotion from Division B after rexhurley (Numidian/Moorish) was beaten this week and attention will now turn to the relegation battle where five players desperately need points to avoid the drop. Geffalrus (Antigonid) completed his fixtures with 3 wins this week to finish second behind MorkinTheFree (Pyrrhic) with both players having unbeaten records. In Division D, phoyle3290 (Carthaginian) is relentlessly closing the gap on the leader Tresantes (Pyrrhic) and now needs just 4 pts from his last 2 matches to gain automatic promotion.

Unbeaten runs of 3 matches or more
dkalenda (Division A) 5 matches
harveylh (Division A) 4 matches
klayeckles (Division A) 4 matches
Geffalrus (Division C) 9 matches and finished
lydianed (Division C) 3 matches
phoyle3290 (Division D) 7 matches

Match completion rate (45 matches in total to be played in each division)
Division A - 35 out of 45 matches completed :D
Division B - 30 out of 45 matches completed :D
Division C - 33 out of 45 matches completed :D
Division D - 42 out of 45 matches completed :D

These are excellent match completion rates.

Player of the week
Geffalrus (Division C) with 3 wins this week to give him runner-up position with an unbeaten record. :D
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Classical Antiquity: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

Classical Antiquity A-B charts.jpg
Classical Antiquity A-B charts.jpg (750.64 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
Classical Antiquity C-D charts.jpg
Classical Antiquity C-D charts.jpg (804.79 KiB) Viewed 2013 times

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”