Different Script Restart

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
General Shapur
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Different Script Restart

Post by General Shapur » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:27 pm

In a game that's gone for a good few turns I have just opened my turn and got a popup that said something along the lines of, ' Ask your opponent why they are using a different script - we recommend abandoning the game and restarting" . I've not encountered this before - what does it mean has happened?
Look back over the past, with its changing empires that rose and fell, and you can foresee the future, too. M.A.

General Shapur
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Different Script Restart

Post by General Shapur » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:46 pm

General Shapur wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:27 pm
In a game that's gone for a good few turns I have just opened my turn and got a popup that said something along the lines of, ' Ask your opponent why they are using a different script - we recommend abandoning the game and restarting" . I've not encountered this before - what does it mean has happened?
Attachments
reportfog.jpg
reportfog.jpg (215.24 KiB) Viewed 697 times
Look back over the past, with its changing empires that rose and fell, and you can foresee the future, too. M.A.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:11 pm

It means that the script base of one or other player’s game build has changed since the last turn. This obviously happens when the game is updated, but should not happen in between.

If the game is using player-created content (e.g. TT Mod) it would happen if both players do not have exactly the same version of the user content scenario or mod.

Otherwise it may mean that one of the players has modded some of the files in their main game build. (Which, of course, we strongly advise against). If either player has modded their main build, it is most likely that they have done so with innocent intent, and the mod may not affect the course of the ongoing game. But, of course, the system cannot be sure of that, and the mod might affect the course of the game anyway without that being the intent of the modder. (E.g. mods which change the number of models displayed, which contrary to the expectations of the modder will in fact alter the course of the battle by inadvertently altering the sequence of random numbers produced by the RNG).

Hence the warning, which just means that the scripts and/or squads files being used for the battle by each player’s system don’t match exactly.
Richard Bodley Scott

Tresantes
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Tresantes » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:48 am

I just had the same thing.
Tricky - do you ask your opponent to explain what they have modded, to be sure the game is fair?

Paul59
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Paul59 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:14 am

Tresantes wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:48 am
I just had the same thing.
Tricky - do you ask your opponent to explain what they have modded, to be sure the game is fair?
Cunningcairn also reported the same issue on the Tech Support forum, so that's three players with the same issue in one day. I wonder if you all have the same opponent?

You could try politely asking if your opponent has modified his game, it could be something entirely innocent, or not.
Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, and Wolves at the Gate.

TT Mod Creator

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:27 pm

Just go ask but don’t insinuate cheating

sunnyboy
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by sunnyboy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:29 pm

I have just started a game in the automated tournament and gotten the same message?

There seems to be a few people getting the same message. Just wondering if it something to do with the tournament or could having purchased FoG Empires have something to do with it?

Paul59

Post by Paul59 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:04 pm

sunnyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:29 pm
I have just started a game in the automated tournament and gotten the same message?

There seems to be a few people getting the same message. Just wondering if it something to do with the tournament or could having purchased FoG Empires have something to do with it?
It would have nothing to do with FOG Empires, the games installations are entirely separate. Possibly some players have not upgraded their FOG2 with the latest official patch, but that would not really explain the cases where the Script Error message is only appearing after a few turns.

TT Mod Creator

Nijis
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Nijis » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Cunningcairn also reported the same issue on the Tech Support forum, so that's three players with the same issue in one day. I wonder if you all have the same opponent?
Some players may be trying out the suggestion near the top of the forum on how to increase the number of elephant models.

Karvon
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Karvon » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:11 pm

I had this pop up in one game in the past day. I'm not using any mods myself. I'm guessing I'm on the current patch as it is the one I was promoted to install before installing the latest dlc.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:41 pm

The PBEM system won’t allow a player to log into MP until the game is updated to the latest version.
Richard Bodley Scott

General Shapur
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by General Shapur » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:06 pm

My opponent was Tosca - looking on the forum history this has happened with him in a tourney some while ago. It appears the combat results may differ in the replay. I kind of noticed units seemed oddly placed on a few occasions - but I wasn't really looking too closely and was loosing badly anyway.

General Shapur
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by General Shapur » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Tosca said it was something he was modding in Empires that caused it.

76mm
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by 76mm » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:54 pm

The last time this happened to me my opponent had installed a mod to increase the number of displayed figures (IIRC). He said that it wouldn't affect play, but it did...I had very weird results, such as fragmented enemy units charging my units, etc. I would not assume that mods would not affect your game.

Paul59

Post by Paul59 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:19 pm

76mm wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:54 pm
The last time this happened to me my opponent had installed a mod to increase the number of displayed figures (IIRC). He said that it wouldn't affect play, but it did...I had very weird results, such as fragmented enemy units charging my units, etc. I would not assume that mods would not affect your game.
If official mods, such as the TT Mod and Silk Road, are installed correctly in the players My Documents folder there will be no problems. It's when people start tampering with their main game installation that the problems begin.

I agree with you about these unofficial mods that increase the number of figures displayed, they seem to be the cause of many problems in MP. Every time someone promotes this type of mod on the forum, there needs to be a post warning that people should not use it in MP!

TT Mod Creator

76mm
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by 76mm » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:09 am

Paul59 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:19 pm
If official mods, such as the TT Mod and Silk Road, are installed correctly in the players My Documents folder there will be no problems. It's when people start tampering with their main game installation that the problems begin.
Sorry, thanks for pointing that out...but will those mods even trigger this kind of warning?

76mm
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by 76mm » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:14 am

rbodleyscott wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:41 pm
The PBEM system won’t allow a player to log into MP until the game is updated to the latest version.
FYI, I often leave my game open in the MP lobby for days or weeks at a time, and am not sure that I would have to re-log in in that case if the game is updated in the meantime. I'm pretty sure that I've been able to continue games where my opponent has updated but I have not.

Paul59

Post by Paul59 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:57 am

76mm wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:09 am
Paul59 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:19 pm
Sorry, thanks for pointing that out...but will those mods even trigger this kind of warning?
If a player posts a challenge with the mod, it can only be accepted by someone who also has the mod. They might then get the Script Error message if one of the players has a different version of the mod, ie they have modified it themselves.

If the mod has been installed in the correct place, it would not affect any vanilla MP games, even if the player then attempts to change his version of the mod.

TT Mod Creator

Tresantes
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Tresantes » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:14 am

I asked him about the message, but got no reply when he took his next move.
I have directly asked again what he has modded, and pointed out that the info on the forum sugggests making mods could really alter gameplay. Hopefully he responds next turn, or I think I will abandon the game.

Cunningcairn
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Cunningcairn » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:10 am

General Shapur wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:06 pm
My opponent was Tosca - looking on the forum history this has happened with him in a tourney some while ago. It appears the combat results may differ in the replay. I kind of noticed units seemed oddly placed on a few occasions - but I wasn't really looking too closely and was loosing badly anyway.
My opponent is also Tosca.

Return to “Field of Glory II”