The Dustbin

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: The poll on player army choices is now closed . . . 23-20 in favour of no change

Post by stockwellpete » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:12 am

This poll is now closed. I am a bit disappointed that this didn't pass as I really would have liked to freshen things up a bit. It was very close in the end so I may re-poll at some point in the future, maybe towards the end of Season 7.

Btw, I am planning that there will be 12 seasons of the FOG2DL overall. So that is for the whole of 2020 and 2021. After that, we'll have to see as we may have all the DLC's by then and player numbers may start to diminish.

sunnyboy
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Biblical: winners post your results here . . .

Post by sunnyboy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:51 am

In response to welfare check by paramedics

Division A

Sunnyboy (Phoenician 681-539 BC) beat nyczar (Lydian 550-546 BC) 67 - 49

Quite a bloodbath in the end. The Phoenicians initially extended their right, a move that was quickly countered by the Lydians pushing their lancers supported by some raw hoplites to their left. As both sides faced off some initial success gained by the Phoenician skirmishers was quickly followed by the Lydian slaughter of said skirmishers.
Both sides then slugged it out in an even fight, the failure of the Lydian right came a couple of turns earlier than the failure of the Phoenician right, sufficient time for the Phoenician to gain the win.

Thanks for the game Mark, well played!

rexhurley
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Classical Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by rexhurley » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:03 pm

Division B

rexhurley (Numidians) defeats nyczar (Roman) 54/28

once again the Desert Djinni turns away the greedy Roman hoard, may he forever wither in the sand and sun

nyczar
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Late Antiquity: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by nyczar » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:35 pm

Division A

nyczar Scots-Irish 50 BC - 476 AD challenges Nosy_Rat - Hunnic Western 376-454 AD PM sent

lydianed
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by lydianed » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:31 pm

Division C

lydianed (Gallic) defeated cromlechi (Carthaginian) 54:9

dkalenda
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by dkalenda » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:31 pm

Division A

dkalenda - Lysimachid beats klayeckles - Achaemenid Persian 51% - 21%

Nijis
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Early Middle Ages: winners post your results here

Post by Nijis » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:56 pm

Div B

Nijis (Abbasids) beats rbodleyscott (Franks) 61-43.

One of those battles where each side outflanks the other's left and then tries to surround the center. The result was a fight that rotated 180 degrees and shrank inward, like it was being sucked into a vortex. First the Arabs were about 20 points down, then almost 25 up, then it settled at a nail-biting conclusion.

pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:04 am

Division A

pantherboy (Kyrenean Greeks) beat Sunnyboy (Phoenician 681-539 BC) 61 - 52

(3-1)

General Shapur
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: The poll on player army choices is now closed . . . 23-20 in favour of no change

Post by General Shapur » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:07 am

Just a suggestion. It seems there are some commonly picked armies that consistently outperform. Perhaps removing the top winning armies from selection is an easy way to explore options. Also, consider a civil war division listing perhaps Rome and its allies only (for example). Perhaps a potluck-vs pot luck division. You can get variety by not just having time divisions in the league.
Look back over the past, with its changing empires that rose and fell, and you can foresee the future, too. M.A.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:51 am

General Shapur wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:07 am
Just a suggestion. It seems there are some commonly picked armies that consistently outperform. Perhaps removing the top winning armies from selection is an easy way to explore options.
I am loathe to interfere too much with the lists and excluding certain armies is bound to cause controversy. I do think armies like the Romano-British and Kingdom of Soissons are too strong and it seems a bit ridiculous to me that they are among the most powerful in the game. I think they are going to be looked at when the beta test for the next DLC gets started. I would prefer that they are adjusted rather than excluded.
Also, consider a civil war division listing perhaps Rome and its allies only (for example). Perhaps a potluck-vs pot luck division. You can get variety by not just having time divisions in the league.
The trouble is that we do not have enough players to support these other sections. We had 60 players this time, which was just about enough for the 5 sections we have running, although I really would have liked a third division in Biblical. With only two divisions in a section the number of uneven match-ups increases quite sharply. And we still have the High Middle Ages section to come next year, probably.

To have these other sections would mean either not having one (or more) of the traditional sections, or having sections with only 2 divisions in them. I am not in favour of doing this.

Sennacherib
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Sennacherib » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:05 am

stockwellpete wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:51 am
General Shapur wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:07 am
Just a suggestion. It seems there are some commonly picked armies that consistently outperform. Perhaps removing the top winning armies from selection is an easy way to explore options.
I am loathe to interfere too much with the lists and excluding certain armies is bound to cause controversy. I do think armies like the Romano-British and Kingdom of Soissons are too strong and it seems a bit ridiculous to me that they are among the most powerful in the game. I think they are going to be looked at when the beta test for the next DLC gets started. I would prefer that they are adjusted rather than excluded.

totally agree ! it is time done something to stop these "horde armies" polluting the game ! the medium infantry light spear/swordsmen are too effective for it's cost.

harveylh

Post by harveylh » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:04 pm

Division A

harveylh -Achaemenid Persian 545-481 BC defeats XLegione - Carthaginian 550-411 BC, 45-10

Just enough rough terrain and a small lake in the center of the battlefield to slow down the hoplites was a major factor. Good game.

KiFi
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: phoyle3290 has won Classical Antiquity Division D!

Post by KiFi » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:08 pm

I echo the congratulations to phoyle3290 and Tresantes. It was a pleasure playing you and the other generals in the Classic Antiquity Division D. Thank you all.

I am looking forward to next season.

Regards,
Dick

KiFi
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: deve has won Early Middle Ages Division C!

Post by KiFi » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:11 pm

Congratulations Deve. Thank you to you and the other generals in the Early Middle Ages Division C for an enjoyable season.

I hope to see everyone next season.

Regards,
Dick

Breogan

Re: Classical Antiquity: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by Breogan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:52 pm

Div C

Breogan (Greek-Mercenary) challenges Najanaja (Roman 199 - 106 BC)
PM sent
PW: Najanaja

Breogan (Greek-Mercenary) challenges paulmcneil (Thracian-Gallic)
PM sent
PW: paulmcneil

klayeckles
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Late Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by klayeckles » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:06 pm

Div A

klayeckles(hepthalite) vs CheAhn (roman) 72 to 54

a crazy battle that was settled on the last turn as the buzzer went off. Both armies had the lead at different times, first the hepthalites, who routed a few romans that ventured out into the open.
then the romans defending a strong hill top seemed invulnerable as the Hepthalites took losses attacking the roman stronghold . it seemed nobody had what it would take to get a victory. then the romans stormed out and caught the weak enemy foot troops that lacked cav support, and it was looking like the romans might get a victory as the sun set. the battle swirled into a marsh, where the hepthalite footbow were able to survive long enough for some hepthalite cav and elephants to come to their aid. as darkness settled in the exposed romans found themselves set upon from all sides, and a chain reaction panic sent a handfull of units routing for safety all at once. i was just hoping for a draw...but good fortune did shine on this cursed army for once.

(3-1)

klayeckles
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by klayeckles » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:13 pm

Div A
klayeckles (persian) beats Xlegione (Seleucid) 45 to 14
Funny...almost identical armies, and similar tactics both sides and opposite results (see battle against dkalenda above). persians are fun to play, but their trap has to spring just right and the teeth have to survive the initial onslaught of the superior army troops. This time the trap went just as the persians hoped.

devoncop
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: desertedfox has won Biblical Division B!

Post by devoncop » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:43 am

Well played !!

Highly deserved :-)

Barrold713
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Barrold713 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:22 pm

Congratulations!
BDH

phoyle3290
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by phoyle3290 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:55 pm

Thanks, everyone! It was a great season, and I look forward to playing against all of you in the upcoming seasons!

Patrick

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”