Future DLC?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
matlegob
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Future DLC?

Post by matlegob »

Hello,

thanks for this wonderfull game and its great DLC!!

I have 2 questions about future DLC:

- can we hope a DLC thats include the japan like the sengoku jidai game you made in the past?

- can we hope siege battles in future DLC?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Future DLC?

Post by rbodleyscott »

We are not yet in a position to announce what will be next.
Richard Bodley Scott

Mord
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord »

matlegob wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:32 pm
Absolutely wanna see this!

Mord.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Mord wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:41 am
matlegob wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:32 pm

Mord.
Honestly the game is unsuited for sieges. Sieges would require an entire game designed from scratch on their own. Since so very few sieges ended by assault, it would have to take into account:

1) Cavalry skirmishes for control of the countryside
2) Both armies food supplies and attempts to cut one another off from supply
3) The building of fortifications, facing both inward and outward, by the besiegers
4) Sallies and counter attacks by the defenders
5) Disease
6) Decisions by the defenders about whether to expel civilians
7) Tunneling, counter tunneling and deadly subterranean knife fights
8 Finally, for assaults themselves to be interesting, the game would have to take into account not only breaches in the walls, but ladders vs siege towers, covering fire, and the seizure of individual towers.

The game would have to work on a timescale of months for most games, weeks if a a weak garrison falls to assault, or years in extreme cases. The scale would have to be able to range from a small castle held by dozens, to the sieges of Alesia, Syracuse, or Constantinople with tens of thousands involved. Perhaps even things like the initial Theban attempt to seize Plataea would count as a 'siege,' meaning the game would need to find a way to model surprise night time assaults, and the political/psychological contest that decided that action. The end result would usually be the besieging army giving up and withdrawing, followed by the negotiated surrender of the defenders. Less common results would be seizure by treachery from within, and least common of all would be the taking of the stronghold by assault. The game would have to take long term morale into account, along with a very strong focus on logistics.

None of this can be effectively modeled by a game designed for single day set piece battles, in which logistics and political considerations take no part, and in which the scale of 500 man units would be too large to take into account the small things that could decide assaults (the seizure of a single tower, a sally port that happened to be open, etc.)

This isn't even getting into trying to figure out things like the war for Chioggia or the Crusader assault on Constantinople, complex combined land sea operations.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

My bet about the next DLC ? After Wolves at the Gate, back to the past with the period before 681 BC (Rise of Persia), slowly heading towards the Minoans, Mycenaean Greece, Ancient Egypt...

MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by MVP7 »

I imagine the pre-Rise of Persia time period will be covered in single DLC.

I hope that the next DLC will be either Crusades period or expansion to East Asia.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

MVP7 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:34 pm I imagine the pre-Rise of Persia time period will be covered in single DLC.
I must admit I don't know our knowledge and sources about the armament of the period and what the devs want to do about it but still the period covers 1800-2000 years (2500 BC - 681 BC)...
Mord
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:03 pm
Mord wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:41 am

Mord.
Honestly the game is unsuited for sieges. Sieges would require an entire game designed from scratch on their own. Since so very few sieges ended by assault, it would have to take into account:

1) Cavalry skirmishes for control of the countryside
2) Both armies food supplies and attempts to cut one another off from supply
3) The building of fortifications, facing both inward and outward, by the besiegers
4) Sallies and counter attacks by the defenders
5) Disease
6) Decisions by the defenders about whether to expel civilians
7) Tunneling, counter tunneling and deadly subterranean knife fights
8 Finally, for assaults themselves to be interesting, the game would have to take into account not only breaches in the walls, but ladders vs siege towers, covering fire, and the seizure of individual towers.
No offense but I think you are over thinking it. Though yeah, THAT all would be awesome but that sounds more like Total War stuff than this game. There's an Epic Battle, "Panormus" that seems to do a fairly decent job with a siege type battle. This game is already abstracted so abstractions with attacking cities/fortified towns/castles etc is no big deal to me. Hell, I'd just be happy if they put the assets like walls, towers, etc. into the game and let the scenario designers go from there. It wouldn't need to be a complete redesign to make me happy. I am sure if they put some thought into it they could come up with some tweaks/rules most of us would like.

Speaking of which the editor in FoG II is the most user-unfriendly MFer I've seen in a wargame in a long time. Nothing beats CM's map making capabilities for simplicity and ease. Every wargame designer on the planet oughta study it. I can make a map in that game in five minutes if I wanted to. FoG II, P&J, Sengoku Jidai etc. are a convoluted mess. I could spend a week trying to design something in them and still come up with nothing. I don't know why they designed it that way but it's a GIANT overly complicated PIA as far as I am concerned. LOL.

Mord.
melm
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by melm »

Ahaha. East Asia is nice, but I am afraid that all models would be new that it won't come true in near future. I bet next one be crusade DLC that we can utilize many models we already have in the new army lists.
Meditans ex luce mundi
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

What about a naval DLC with naval units (Galleys and such) and sea/costal/island maps for naval battles and mixed battles (naval+land) ?
MVP7

Post by MVP7 »

melm wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:12 am Ahaha. East Asia is nice, but I am afraid that all models would be new that it won't come true in near future. I bet next one be crusade DLC that we can utilize many models we already have in the new army lists.
I don't know if 1000BC to 1000AD East Asia dlc would require more new units than WatG. China's near neighbors probably overlap a lot with existing Indian and Nomad lists while the units of Chinese factions themselves don't change that much over the currently covered years. Couple sets of terrain assets could be required for more immersive East-Asia battlefields though.
melm

Post by melm »

MVP7 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:54 pm
melm wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:12 am Ahaha. East Asia is nice, but I am afraid that all models would be new that it won't come true in near future. I bet next one be crusade DLC that we can utilize many models we already have in the new army lists.
I don't know if 1000BC to 1000AD East Asia dlc would require more new units than WatG. China's near neighbors probably overlap a lot with existing Indian and Nomad lists while the units of Chinese factions themselves don't change that much over the currently covered years. Couple sets of terrain assets could be required for more immersive East-Asia battlefields though.
In fact, they changed much. Roughly speaking, the look of the units at least could be divided by 1000 BC to 500 BC with units mostly equipped with bronze armament, 500 BC-200 BC with units start to have steel weapon and armor but leather armor still in use, 200 BC to 100 AD with units all equipped with steel sword and lamellar armor, from 100 AD -400 AD the lamellar pieces becomes smaller to provide better protection. However, cataphract is still not available. Only half-cata exist. Then from 400 AD, cataphract is quite popular in China. The armor style still evolving from 400 AD- 1000 AD with the nomadic influence.

In general, weapon and armor styles are usually categorized in dynasties. From 1000 BC- 1000AD, there are five major ones.
Meditans ex luce mundi
MVP7

Post by MVP7 »

melm wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:39 pm
In fact, they changed much. Roughly speaking, the look of the units at least could be divided by 1000 BC to 500 BC with units mostly equipped with bronze armament, 500 BC-200 BC with units start to have steel weapon and armor but leather armor still in use, 200 BC to 100 AD with units all equipped with steel sword and lamellar armor, from 100 AD -400 AD the lamellar pieces becomes smaller to provide better protection. However, cataphract is still not available. Only half-cata exist. Then from 400 AD, cataphract is quite popular in China. The armor style still evolving from 400 AD- 1000 AD with the nomadic influence.

In general, weapon and armor styles are usually categorized in dynasties. From 1000 BC- 1000AD, there are five major ones.
I imagine a lot of that is too small detail to warrant unique models when you consider how widely some FoG2 models area already being used.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Need mixed crossbow units, dagger axes, glaives. Then armour becomes ornate and unique during Tang to Song Dynasty (does not resemble Western and Central Asian). You need to deal with their neighbours too. Tibet, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, various nomadic Khanates. Then you need to make historical battles that are less documented then the West. East Asian buildings are needed too.
Lysimachos
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Lysimachos »

Athos1660 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:30 pm What about a naval DLC with naval units (Galleys and such) and sea/costal/island maps for naval battles and mixed battles (naval+land) ?
This one would be really great! :!:
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
Yaitz331
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Yaitz331 »

Athos1660 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:57 pm My bet about the next DLC ? After Wolves at the Gate, back to the past with the period before 681 BC (Rise of Persia), slowly heading towards the Minoans, Mycenaean Greece, Ancient Egypt...
I'm just impatiently waiting for Biblical warfare to be added in. I want to play the ancient Israelites RIGHT NOW!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15BMxqX ... sp=sharing
melm

Post by melm »

Don't we already have the biblical DLC as Rise of Persia?
Meditans ex luce mundi
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

melm wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:51 pm Don't we already have the biblical DLC as Rise of Persia?
The Rise of Persia DLC only goes back to 680BC, the bulk of "biblical" history is way before that date.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
PanzerCro
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by PanzerCro »

maybe rise of Osman empire ?
MVP7

Post by MVP7 »

PanzerCro wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:07 pm maybe rise of Osman empire ?
The planned end date of FoG2 is around 1500 so that should be covered eventually but most likely not before the missing centuries between dark ages and late middle ages are covered.

Return to “Field of Glory II”