Question and Answer Thread on Game Mechanics.

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

SirGarnet
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Question and Answer Thread on Game Mechanics.

Post by SirGarnet »

EXPERIENCE:
The manual says units gain experience from winning a battle. How is it distributed among units after a victory? Can units be groomed in heavier fighting in battle?

Can abilities of generals change? Or buff units in any way other than the +1 in the battle line and ability to get the partial turn in the FOG2 battles?
loki100

Re: Question and Answer Thread on Game Mechanics.

Post by loki100 »

those that win a duel get the gain - its one reason why your skirmishers progress quickly as they tend to 'win' the missile phase more often than line units get to win in the battle phase.

no generals stay the same all their life

not sure what
buff units in any way other than the +1 in the battle line and ability to get the partial turn in the FOG2 battles?
refers to?

relative leadership has a big impact on the morale of units in FoG2 battles, even a -1 malus can lead to a lot of 'slightly disheartened' formations but not sure what a 'partial turn' is.
Geffalrus
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Geffalrus »

loki100 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:01 pm not sure what a 'partial turn' is.
I'd guess he's referring to the free 45 degree turn that some units get when in range of the general? Mercenary hoplites vs. Citizen hoplites would be an example, I think.
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

Flanking:

I get that flanking is good, but the actual utility of the flanking number value is what I'm trying to figure out. Is that the combat value the unit will use when flanking a unit?

Am I correct in reading what's happening that a flanked unit - doesn't - get the benefit of a combat roll?
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
SirGarnet

Post by SirGarnet »

Yes it appears to me that the outflanked unit in the battle viewer gets pre-empted and does not benefit from a roll.
- - - - - - - -

RAIDING: How exactly do you set up a raid? Since the Raid button manifests only on the army panel, does there need to be at least one military unit present at the border for the game to trigger a raid? to occur. Do the military units that have to be present play any part in the raid itself?

Thanks
loki100

Post by loki100 »

SirGarnet wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:09 pm ...

RAIDING: How exactly do you set up a raid? Since the Raid button manifests only on the army panel, does there need to be at least one military unit present at the border for the game to trigger a raid? to occur. Do the military units that have to be present play any part in the raid itself?

Thanks
as you say, select the raid button. All the units in that stack will then conduct the raid and give you the raiding strength. This is compared to the defending strength (region defensiveness+any units) to give you the result. The worst that can happen to the raiding force is a large effectiveness hit.

be careful with pirates, they need to be in a separate fleet to regular warships
Hurz_slith
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Hurz_slith »

OBJECTIVES: How are they selected?

When my King decides for a new objective to conquer, is there any special logic behind, e.g.,
- scripted regions with higher likelihood to come for the nation you play?
- creating challenge by adding objectives at stronger opponents?
- dependency on culture group?
- purely random pick within a certain distance from you?

Is there any way to roughly influence it?

In my first game as Macedon I ended up early with all 4 objectives vs Rome (two of them in Italy). I still had not fully conquered Greece and just started to conquer regions East in Turkey (Antigones was already broken apart). Rome was also the only friendly neighbor I had...
loki100

Post by loki100 »

at the moment they are all scripted. The variation is a few nations (Rome, Antiochus) have 'tracks' so whatever you take first can then determine where the others fall. For most nations at the moment, they are in rough circles around your start but for eg the Gallic factions all have each others starting capital as an objective. Some are a bit of fun, so the Saxons end up with objectives in E England etc.
kvnrthr
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by kvnrthr »

How do we know who is the attacker and defender in a fight? It's obvious when one army moves into an enemy army in enemy territory. But I've seen my army move into my besieged province, but that counted as a defense.
Southern Hunter
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Southern Hunter »

I think that is covered in the manual. The defender of the fort/town always gets defender status.
Hurz_slith

Post by Hurz_slith »

Money gifts: what does happen with the money? Does it disapear or is added to the treasury of the receiving state? (Does the gift really support others or is it just creating magical relation points?)

Maybe someone knows from MP?
jimwinsor
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by jimwinsor »

My strong impression is that it is added to the treasury of the receiving state. Based on my most recent game when I gifted the stupid Blemmyes 6000 Money, then they DOWed me the same turn, then I took their capital a few turns later and plundered it for over 1000 Money. So, observational science seems to bear this out. If only I could get my other 5000 back ...
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
loki100

Post by loki100 »

yes they get it - I've been given gifts by allies and it was in my treasury.

In my current game I've been sending money to two of my allies in the hope they would raise an army and thus mean I don't need to take too many regions. But I suspect they lack mercenaries and are short of metal and manpower etc.
Hurz_slith

Post by Hurz_slith »

Thanks, good to know that the money is not wasted! Too bad that it is not possible to also send some metal over.
Demetrios_of_Messene
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Demetrios_of_Messene »

Is it possible to create client states through diplomacy or other means? Have you ever done it and if so, how?
loki100

Post by loki100 »

yes and yes

its an option under the diplomacy tab. Best advice is to read over the modifiers, but basically very good relations. Often this can come from an earlier alliance and then if they hit hard times - that seems to make it a bit more likely
pnoff

Post by pnoff »

Two questions:

1) how does Evade mechanic works?

2) how decadence from status age is calculated?

Thanks
loki100

Post by loki100 »

its linked to having the skirmisher trait for your units, it reduces your losses in a duel and also means you can inflict some fatigue in return (its what makes horse archers so dangerous in an Empires battle)

govt age converts to decadence when you are glorious/old or decadent, not young/stable. Mouse over the decadence calculation (your nation tab) to see the exact rules applying to your faction as I *think* there are some variations related to faction/govt type
pnoff

Post by pnoff »

loki100 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:39 am
Thanks, loki100,

But I meant exact formulas :)
loki100

Post by loki100 »

it varies - as above best approach is to use the tooltip but its not 1-1 (ie one unit of decadence per year), in my current game I have a govt age of 25 and decadence from age of 1291

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”