Field of Glory: Empires Nation Modifiers – Which faction has the best set?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

Field of Glory: Empires Nation Modifiers – Which faction has the best set?

Post by Daniele »

One of the most important features of Field of Glory: Empires is how different and unique each one of the 77 factions play.

The ability to build efficient fleets, emergency levies, glorious traditions, huge benevolence over populations of your same kin, type of governments and ruling parties, the list is endless.

Have you already found the set that fits best your playstyle? Or would you see featured something completely new? Let us know in the comments!

Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Field of Glory: Empires Nation Modifiers – Which faction has the best set?

Post by Rosseau »

The "bigger is better" model doesn't work here. As a beginner, I find it slightly frustrating keeping decadence down. "Growing" your empire or conquering a province can be bad for you, unlike most every other game. I tried to build a lot of culture buildings with larger nations, but hasn't helped so far.
MoLAoS
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by MoLAoS »

This post is off to me. The list isn't endless and most factions play pretty similarly. There aren't really any unique nations outside of major historical stuff like Macedon, Diadochi, Carthage, Sparta, and Rome and Maurya. And even with Maurya its not that different. Basically their unique mechanic amounts to a couple extra free upkeep units. Most German, Iberian, or Gallic tribes play very similarly as do most Greek states outside special cases.
CSSS
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by CSSS »

Macedonia, is a pretty good first time play through!
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

MoLAoS wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:48 am This post is off to me. The list isn't endless and most factions play pretty similarly. There aren't really any unique nations outside of major historical stuff like Macedon, Diadochi, Carthage, Sparta, and Rome and Maurya. And even with Maurya its not that different. Basically their unique mechanic amounts to a couple extra free upkeep units. Most German, Iberian, or Gallic tribes play very similarly as do most Greek states outside special cases.
If you think the Dacians play similarly to the Arverni or even the Gothones you aren't paying attention :-)
eddieballgame
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by eddieballgame »

MoLAoS wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:48 am This post is off to me. The list isn't endless and most factions play pretty similarly. There aren't really any unique nations outside of major historical stuff like Macedon, Diadochi, Carthage, Sparta, and Rome and Maurya. And even with Maurya its not that different. Basically their unique mechanic amounts to a couple extra free upkeep units. Most German, Iberian, or Gallic tribes play very similarly as do most Greek states outside special cases.
I have not had the time to play most of the civs.
In fact...I have only played 3. :)
What I have noticed is how varied the games/results are per every civ that is AI controlled. My friends are also amazed at how varied the play throughs, to include referencing the major powers, are.
RNG has something to do with this, of course. This also makes for an incredible amount of replay value, even for playing the identical civ over & over.
Every one of the 77 civs have their own set of modifiers, with some being...similar.
However, I do not (based my low skill level, that is) recommend playing them similarly.
MoLAoS

Post by MoLAoS »

devoncop wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:24 pm
If you think the Dacians play similarly to the Arverni or even the Gothones you aren't paying attention :-)
Depends on your definition of similarly I suppose. However what I meant was that Greeks states play similarly to other Greek states, Gallic states play similarly, etc. Not that every German and Iberian tribe play similarly. Though in some cases they do. Most variance is based more on starting position than modifiers.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

MoLAoS wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:29 am
Depends on your definition of similarly I suppose. However what I meant was that Greeks states play similarly to other Greek states, Gallic states play similarly, etc.

It wouldn't be very historical otherwise. Ancient city states or tribes who shared a common culture usually did behave similarly to each other.

I know some games simply make up imaginary differences just for the sake of variety, but is that really a good thing?
Richard Bodley Scott

MoLAoS

Post by MoLAoS »

rbodleyscott wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:34 pm
MoLAoS wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:29 am

Depends on your definition of similarly I suppose. However what I meant was that Greeks states play similarly to other Greek states, Gallic states play similarly, etc.

It wouldn't be very historical otherwise. Ancient city states or tribes who shared a common culture usually did behave similarly to each other.

I know some games simply make up imaginary differences just for the sake of variety, but is that really a good thing?
Sure, that's fine. So why is everyone pretending they play super differently and interestingly?

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”