Order of Battle: Red Star OUT NOW

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

SharonC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Order of Battle: Red Star OUT NOW

Post by SharonC »

Comrades, the Red Army is here!

Order of Battle: Red Star, the first expansion of a planned trilogy covering the full extent of WWII from the Soviet point of view, has just been released! Get it now and join the Soviet corps!

There's more! Thanks to a special sale starting today and ending on August 15th, you have the opportunity to get all the previous DLCs of Order Of Battle discounted for 50%, get them while you can!

Do you want to see Red Star in action? Then don’t miss Gamer 1745 playing today at 7 pm BST on our official Twitch Channel!

Have a look at the previous Stream:

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Order of Battle: Red Star OUT NOW

Post by bru888 »

FWIW, here is one man's experience, if it may help somebody else.

I went here to purchase the Red Star DLC: http://www.slitherine.com/products/813/ ... e.Red.Star

Here is where I was provided my license key and download link (I also received an e-mail message):

Image0149.jpg
Image0149.jpg (145.1 KiB) Viewed 5008 times

I downloaded the file and saved it to desktop:

Image0150.jpg
Image0150.jpg (246.64 KiB) Viewed 5008 times

I extracted the DLC setup file (note, Mac users, the special instructions that are also contained in this downloaded zip file):

Image0151.jpg
Image0151.jpg (90.13 KiB) Viewed 5008 times

I started to install the DLC setup file but it stopped me here because I need to have version 8.1.0 to play Red Star:

Image0154.jpg
Image0154.jpg (60.66 KiB) Viewed 5008 times

After clicking "Open Website," I arrived here; this is where you can get the base installer (version 7.1.4) as well as the latest updates:

Image0155.jpg
Image0155.jpg (253.81 KiB) Viewed 5008 times

I already had 7.1.4/7.1.8 installed so I downloaded the 8.1.0 update:

Image0156.jpg
Image0156.jpg (274.46 KiB) Viewed 5008 times

I extracted BOTH files. One is obviously the installer (.exe) but the other is like a "Part 2" if you will; it contains additional data and the installer knows what to do with it:

Image0157.jpg
Image0157.jpg (115.42 KiB) Viewed 5008 times

I double-clicked on the installer and eventually arrived here; this is where you can enter your Red Star DLC license key, if you already have it as I did:

Image0162.jpg
Image0162.jpg (115.63 KiB) Viewed 5008 times
Image0163.jpg
Image0163.jpg (72.38 KiB) Viewed 5008 times

I made sure that the installation would be to my existing game folder:

Image0164.jpg
Image0164.jpg (79.03 KiB) Viewed 5008 times

Installation takes a significant amount of time, so be patient:

Image0165.jpg
Image0165.jpg (78.85 KiB) Viewed 5008 times

Success! Note that the update is version 8.1.0, not 8.0.3 or 8.0.4 as you may have seen elsewhere:

Image0166.jpg
Image0166.jpg (105.11 KiB) Viewed 5008 times
Image0167.jpg
Image0167.jpg (19.88 KiB) Viewed 5008 times
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Unfortunately, there was trouble in Paradise! :cry:

When I started the game, the Red Star campaign icon was dimmed:

Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (348.85 KiB) Viewed 4994 times

I tried to enter the license key this way and was denied:

Screenshot 5.jpg
Screenshot 5.jpg (337.13 KiB) Viewed 4994 times

I shrieked and cursed! I bemoaned my fate! :o :x

No, not really. I had installed the DLC license key as you saw above but for some reason it did not take. So, I calmly went back to the DLC installation file (the first file that I opened, above), and started it. Here I entered my license key again:

Image0169.jpg
Image0169.jpg (77.38 KiB) Viewed 4994 times

This message was reassuring; it meant that the installer had accepted my license key:

Image0170.jpg
Image0170.jpg (68.19 KiB) Viewed 4994 times

Success! But, I had said this already . . . would it in fact be a success?

Image0171.jpg
Image0171.jpg (104.72 KiB) Viewed 4994 times

Yes it would! Oh, glorious Hammer and Sickle! :)

Screenshot 7.jpg
Screenshot 7.jpg (347.28 KiB) Viewed 4994 times
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Note: They may have been changing things while I was visiting the web site for the patch. This page now looked like this when I returned to it (compare with above); the 7.1.8 update had been removed and it looks like they were uploading the Mac update directly to this page:

Image0172.jpg
Image0172.jpg (253.39 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
- Bru
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

Hey Bru I bought Red Star but had the same problem as you, namely a dimmed hammer/sickle icon and a refusal to accept my licence key.
I've read your post about how you solved it but I can't make the box below come up and am still stuck (sniffle).
Are you saying I need to re-install Red Star all over again from the downloads page to make the box come up?
Here's part of your post-

bru888

Post by bru888 »

Well, not freshly downloaded from the downloads page if one has it already but yes, what I did was to go back to the Red Star DLC installation file after I had patched up to 8.1.0. This was in spite of my having entered the license key during the 8.1.0 update process. You seem to confirm what may be a fault in the update/patch process, so thanks for sharing our mutual experience.

Note: We are talking about the relatively small file that is downloaded after purchasing the DLC Red Star. We are not talking about the 7.1.4 base game or the 8.1.0 update/patch which are very large files. As you saw above, I was able to update my game to 8.1.0 with no problem. The issue was when I attempted to enter my license key for Red Star when prompted. Apparently Spike and I had the same problem but I was able to solve my issue by going back to the DLC installation file, running it, and entering my license key therein.
- Bru
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

bru888 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:24 pm..Note: We are talking about the relatively small file that is downloaded after purchasing the DLC Red Star..
If you mean the Red Star setup file which downloaded onto my desktop (below) when I bought the game, I get this message when I click it.
I've also tried running it as Admin but the same message comes up, so I'm still stuck (sniffle).
{PS- I updated fine to 8.0.1 earlier)

bru888

Post by bru888 »

Hmmm. Well, I just tried to start my own file again and it opened up as normal:

Image0174.jpg
Image0174.jpg (394.14 KiB) Viewed 4876 times

So try to download the file again, maybe from your e-mail message this time, and save it in a different place. If it's still not working, it's off to Tech Support you go, sir, or e-mail them at support@slitherine.co.uk - heck, you're located in Plymouth; just drive over to their Slitherine headquarters and demand service! :)
- Bru
makigono1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by makigono1 »

Update: Ah, now I see it. I shouldn't have bothered reading the instructions in the email and instead relied on you! Thank you for posting all those links.
Hmm, so Mac is up to spout again, I see. :cry: The installation instructions for Mac say to download the dmg from http://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/OrderOfBattle-WWII/ which of course does not have the latest version for Mac. Sigh...
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

bru888 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:54 pmSo try to download the file again....heck, you're located in Plymouth; just drive over to their Slitherine headquarters and demand service! :)
I think I've cracked it mate, AVG was acting as a bouncer on the door and I had to tell it- "I trust the Red Star file" before it'd let it in.
Just finished the first campaign battle "Red Star Rising'" and gave the japs a good kicking to get an easy win, I'm kool..:)
bru888

Post by bru888 »

All is good, then. That's great. Off-topic, but years ago I moved away from all of those third-party anti-malware programs which often cause more trouble than they are worth. These days, I rely on the Windows Security program that comes with Windows 10. That, and clean living. :)
- Bru
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

Aargh I can't update to 810 on my new computer (sniffle).
I've got 718 and most DLC's on there and they work fine, but when I try to update to 810 the update process starts fine at first, but after about 10 minutes it stops and the message "Insert disk #2" comes up.
What disk 2? I haven't got a disk 2!

I tried to get round it by installing Red Star in the hope that the 810 update would be bundled in there but no, the message came up "You must update to 810 before installing Red Star".
So I'm stuck on 718 and cant update to 108 in order to play Red Star.(sniffle)
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Ugh. I take it you own the Slitherine version? Because on Steam updates come in automatically. However when you do not have an extra boxed version the request for another disc makes no sense indeed.

Best is to mail support@slitherine.co.uk
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Spike, see my first post in this thread: https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 64&t=93445

Particularly the part about extracting that "Part 2" file along with the executable. Both have to be saved in the same location for the update to run.

Image0157.jpg
Image0157.jpg (115.42 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
- Bru
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

Yes Bebro, I bought OOB and all the DLC's from Matrix.
Bru, yes I must have lost part 2, so I'd better download the 810 update onto my desktop again and have another shot.
Just one snag, I can't find the 810 download at Matrix's jazzed-up new site so I'm still stuck and am trying hard not to sniffle..
bru888

Post by bru888 »

They need to get their act together with those new websites.

I went to "My Page" on the Slitherine site as follows:

Image0188.jpg
Image0188.jpg (42.36 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
Image0189.jpg
Image0189.jpg (18.63 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
Image0190.jpg
Image0190.jpg (65.44 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
Image0191.jpg
Image0191.jpg (222.41 KiB) Viewed 4472 times

Issues:
1) Each of those "FILE DOWNLOADS" links is specific to the game or DLC indicated.
2) They don't include my purchase of Red Star, which is troubling to say the least.

Then I went back to the home page and clicked the Red Star link:

Image0192.jpg
Image0192.jpg (283.09 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
Image0193.jpg
Image0193.jpg (367.09 KiB) Viewed 4472 times

Issue: Although there seems to be a link to a PC Installer v8.1.0," it is not active. (Contrary to the popup message, I was logged in at that point.)

If you click "STORE" at the top of the screen, it takes you to a page that looks very similar except it has this "Recently UPDATED" section at the bottom:

Image0195.jpg
Image0195.jpg (305.15 KiB) Viewed 4472 times

Issue: None of those links are operational, either.

So it appears that they have gone from bad to worse in terms of member accounts and game management, at least for now. I am sure they are aware of this and will be improving things soon.

For the time being, I will PM you with a link to my Google Drive to which I have uploaded the 8.1.0 update file (PC; God help you if you are looking for the Mac version). As always, run a virus check on it, just in case. Who knows where I've been recently? I may have picked up something! Just kidding - I lead a clean life - but it's good practice anyway.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Heh, after all that, I remembered the links that Alberto provided in this thread and they still work!

Image0196.jpg
Image0196.jpg (225.59 KiB) Viewed 4469 times

Even so, they need to work on the websites so that members can find their games, their keys, and their updates easily. Direct links in forum posts can get buried and forgotten.
- Bru
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

Hallelujah thanks to Bru I've now got 810 and Red Star on both my PC's..:)
bru888

Post by bru888 »

For those who may be looking for it, or may not be aware of it, there is a hotfix for one of the scenarios in Red Star: Red Star, Rostov scenario, hotfix

It is just the scenario.scz file that gets copied over the same-named file in the Rostov scenario folder. You may need administrator privileges in order to do so.

The developer issued that hotfix shortly after being apprised of the issue. The standard operating procedure is to incorporate such fixes in one of the periodic patches which are released at the same time as new DLC. Apparently it's a long and involved process, putting a patch together, and a small outfit like The Artistocrats must concentrate their limited time in an efficient manner.

Meaning, they are not going to issue an entire patch for one scenario bug that has already been addressed by a hotfix.
We may feel assured, however, that it will be formally resolved in the next patch.
- Bru
pcglvr
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by pcglvr »

I had played this game up to Rostov/Don. In this game I had the whole German Army wiped out! Despite this I had lost the game, more I had lost the whole campaign, was the unlogical message! What is the matter in this game?
Perhaps an error somewhere in the program and need al customers an update? Kind regard,Louis

Return to “Order of Battle Series”