Nebelwerfer Question

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Buffalohump
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Nebelwerfer Question

Post by Buffalohump »

I am at Yakovlevo with limited amount of prestige left. I am playing with 1/2 prestige Field Marshal and the enemy +3 strength on custom level. Is the upgrade from 21cm Nblwf to 30cm Nblwf for additional 153 prestige worth the cost. I reached a high of about 21000 prestige bank in 42 but have been slowly leaching away since Stalingrad. I need something harder hitting but I feel like I am in trouble prestige wise. I have about 7000 prestige left.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: Nebelwerfer Question

Post by goose_2 »

Buffalohump wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:49 pm I am at Yakovlevo with limited amount of prestige left. I am playing with 1/2 prestige Field Marshal and the enemy +3 strength on custom level. Is the upgrade from 21cm Nblwf to 30cm Nblwf for additional 153 prestige worth the cost. I reached a high of about 21000 prestige bank in 42 but have been slowly leaching away since Stalingrad. I need something harder hitting but I feel like I am in trouble prestige wise. I have about 7000 prestige left.
This is a tough call, you will have trouble finishing with so little in terms of prestige. The 30 CM Nebelwerfer is a beast, I have 3 in my Manstein playthrough and 2 of them have 3 heroes, the other one is close with almost 1400 kills. So they are soft boy shredding beasts, that are also pretty good at suppressing some harder targets, but the draw back is their high cost and 1 less ammo.

Because the 21cm Nebelwerfer's do just fine in their role as soft boy shredders.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
Buffalohump

Post by Buffalohump »

Thanks for reply. My last east front play through on Field Marshal I had about 60 thousand baked and 5 more units by this time. I have already decided this was a doomed campaign but I intend to play it through to the end. My intention was to find my limit. I think I may have found it. I do not know what setting has made the computer more aggressive but I am having fun. The higher difficulty setting has made east enjoyable. Must say I stole the idea from you. Will go back to west when this campaign is through and I am defeated and try at same difficulty.
Cerberus51
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Cerberus51 »

I'm currently playing East on standard Field Marshal. I have one Nebelwerfer 30 which has a +1 range hero. The only reason I upgraded to that unit was because of the hero. That makes the unit much more useful. I would not upgrade a unit with only range 2 as I feel they have limited use. As you are so pressed for prestige it may not be the most effective use of 153 points.
Buffalohump

Post by Buffalohump »

Update.

I figured out what I was doing wrong and restarted 42 at same difficulty. Playing with both 1/2 experience and 1/2 prestige with the enemy having extra strength I can not afford to play like I was playing Field Marshal or Rommel separately. I have restarted 42 and I am currently at Novoanninsky with just shy of 27000 prestige and all of my captured equipment that I had to disband to maintain last play through. As a bonus I picked up a nifty unexpected hero for one of my Nebelwerfers. He already had a move hero and I got a range hero now to boot. I am still nervous about the amount of prestige I have banked but this is significantly better than last time.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Buffalohump wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:46 pm Update.

I figured out what I was doing wrong and restarted 42 at same difficulty. Playing with both 1/2 experience and 1/2 prestige with the enemy having extra strength I can not afford to play like I was playing Field Marshal or Rommel separately. I have restarted 42 and I am currently at Novoanninsky with just shy of 27000 prestige and all of my captured equipment that I had to disband to maintain last play through. As a bonus I picked up a nifty unexpected hero for one of my Nebelwerfers. He already had a move hero and I got a range hero now to boot. I am still nervous about the amount of prestige I have banked but this is significantly better than last time.
My 3 Nebelwerfers have the following heroes
+1 move +5 Attack. Best shredder and has well over 2000 kills
+1Move, +1 Range, +1 Attack 2nd best shredder
+3 Def +2 Att 3rd Best shredder still waiting for 3rd hero, which I am hoping is +1 Move

I have 2 other artillery's that may get a 3rd hero, but it is hard to get a 3rd hero on artillery
goose_2

Buffalohump

Post by Buffalohump »

[/quote]

My 3 Nebelwerfers have the following heroes
+1 move +5 Attack. Best shredder and has well over 2000 kills
+1Move, +1 Range, +1 Attack 2nd best shredder
+3 Def +2 Att 3rd Best shredder still waiting for 3rd hero, which I am hoping is +1 Move

I have 2 other artillery's that may get a 3rd hero, but it is hard to get a 3rd hero on artillery
[/quote]

That is impressive. I have only managed two heroes a handful of times on artillery. Never had a third. I have a feeling this is play-style based as well. I currently have a couple of units with move heroes, a couple with range, one with +3 attack, and one with +2 defense that I am contemplating disbanding. My other three are not heroed yet. I have disbanded two units that got sight heroes and one with a +1 defense. I am hoping to get one more range hero. I upgrade based on hero received by unit. Move heroes get Nebelwerfers and range heroes become StuG or 17cm. I currently have two StuGs and am hoping to upgrade one too 17cm soon. I am least forgiving of bad hero with artillery and have in the past reloaded until I got what I want. This play through if I don’t like the hero he gets side lined or disbanded.
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

Picking units that you can get into battle quickly is important. Every day your units don't attack is wasted time and supply. If I didn't have any heroes, I usually went with the Wurfrahmen or Panzerwerfer because they can find targets easily. If I had a move or range hero, I went with the 30cm since it can get into the fray well with those heroes.

*Past tense is used, because I was a Mac player but the Mac version no longer opens under Catalina.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

proline wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:00 am Picking units that you can get into battle quickly is important. Every day your units don't attack is wasted time and supply. If I didn't have any heroes, I usually went with the Wurfrahmen or Panzerwerfer because they can find targets easily. If I had a move or range hero, I went with the 30cm since it can get into the fray well with those heroes.

*Past tense is used, because I was a Mac player but the Mac version no longer opens under Catalina.
I had 2 Wurfrahmen's with +1 Range heroes. They are nice units but super vulnerable. I hate babysitting them all the time and end up spending too much money buying them replacements
goose_2

Buffalohump

Post by Buffalohump »

goose_2 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:32 pm
proline wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:00 am Picking units that you can get into battle quickly is important. Every day your units don't attack is wasted time and supply. If I didn't have any heroes, I usually went with the Wurfrahmen or Panzerwerfer because they can find targets easily. If I had a move or range hero, I went with the 30cm since it can get into the fray well with those heroes.

I had 2 Wurfrahmen's with +1 Range heroes. They are nice units but super vulnerable. I hate babysitting them all the time and end up spending too much money buying them replacements
Update:
I have made it to Stalingrad Docks with just shy of 24000 prestige and all of my Soviet Captured equipment at the aforementioned stacked difficulty. I sold most of western allied equipment in 41 prior to Barbarossa. I lost some good heroes with the 42 reboot but have gained a couple of interesting heroes as well. I now have a nebelwerfer with a move and range hero and as a bonus one of my Flamm tanks got a +3 attack and two moves later got another +3 attack. I had to settle for a marginal victory at Stalingrad assault with 1 objective left to capture but decided the decisive was not worth the cost. The nebelwerfer will be upgraded to a 30 cm and I plan to upgrade the Flamm to a Tiger when available. I am still behind where I hoped to be but much better off than last play through.
proline

Post by proline »

Buffalohump wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:10 am
goose_2 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Update:
I have made it to Stalingrad Docks with just shy of 24000 prestige and all of my Soviet Captured equipment at the aforementioned stacked difficulty. I sold most of western allied equipment in 41 prior to Barbarossa. I lost some good heroes with the 42 reboot but have gained a couple of interesting heroes as well. I now have a nebelwerfer with a move and range hero and as a bonus one of my Flamm tanks got a +3 attack and two moves later got another +3 attack. I had to settle for a marginal victory at Stalingrad assault with 1 objective left to capture but decided the decisive was not worth the cost. The nebelwerfer will be upgraded to a 30 cm and I plan to upgrade the Flamm to a Tiger when available. I am still behind where I hoped to be but much better off than last play through.
If you know how to keep it alive, I'd keep the +6 attack as a flamm. Remember that the kill % is a function of A-D (attack minus defense). The tiger already has much higher attack than the defense of anything it goes after, so it's kill % is already very high. A flamm has a low attack value and a lowish kill % but a high rate of fire that allows it 14 shots per turn. It therefore stands to gain a lot from +6 attack. It could become an excellent infantry killer for you.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

Good point on using the 140% RoF to gain from +6A. If you can keep it away from AT and heavy tanks it could be very handy.

On the +2D artillery, for me this would be a candidate for conversion to SP as it increases resistance to counter battery suppression when defending other units, and allows it to be used a bit more aggressively.

Return to “Panzer Corps”