Arranging MP Game....Interested ?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Arranging MP Game....Interested ?

Post by devoncop »

pnoff wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:19 pm Could you guys put up some more maps, please?

Looks like you are having fun, I am wondering how it looks.
My excuse is technological ignorance but those who have the ability to screenshot may be hamstrung in that the fog of war means you can see borders but not armies in lands away from their own, whilst many will be nervous given the voracious sharks that comprise the player base of this game in revealing the position and strength of their own forces around their domain... :D

Apart from the Antigonids of course who are big enough not to care :D
pnoff
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by pnoff »

devoncop wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:56 pm
pnoff wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:19 pm Could you guys put up some more maps, please?

Looks like you are having fun, I am wondering how it looks.
My excuse is technological ignorance but those who have the ability to screenshot may be hamstrung in that the fog of war means you can see borders but not armies in lands away from their own, whilst many will be nervous given the voracious sharks that comprise the player base of this game in revealing the position and strength of their own forces around their domain... :D

Apart from the Antigonids of course who are big enough not to care :D
Yeah, I meant just maps of territory, to know what's happening in the world and what players are discussing. No troops.

I had the same problem when I wanted to show Italian Campaign in Fields of Diplomacy game: when I take screenshot (F12 in Steam) I get my troops and icons all over the place, so I had to ask uninvolved player to supply the map.
Geffalrus
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Geffalrus »

The Antigonid Aegean is a garden of culture in a barbaric age of violence.
20190910163556_1.jpg
20190910163556_1.jpg (298.88 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
Bunch of scalawags over here. No idea what shenanigans they're up to.
RomeCarthage
RomeCarthage
20190910163633_1.jpg (276.43 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
An insignificant backwater, much like modern day Britain. :wink:
Picts
Picts
20190910163654_1.jpg (241.34 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

The Indus is back in Macedonian hands, just as Alexander intended. It takes quite a while for the sun to set on the Seleucid Empire.......
seleucids
seleucids
20190910163713_1.jpg (281.03 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
The place that generated 8 million forum posts.
judea
judea
20190910163734_1.jpg (284.86 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
The land of poetry.
saba
saba
20190910163747_1.jpg (235.22 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
SpeedyCM
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by SpeedyCM »

Well for some non middle eastern news the Lusitanians deceitfully took advantage of the Iberian army being engaged in a defensive war against the Celt-Iberians to invade and quickly capture two provinces before the Iberian army could be recalled.
Now however after a decisive field battle the Lusitanian army is retreating in dissarray closely pursued by the Iberian army, to ensure peace the Iberian tribal council feels that the Lusitanian people need to be incorporated into the greater Iberian nation.
SpeedyCM

Post by SpeedyCM »

And now looking at those screenshots above it appears that the Celt-Iberians have taken advantage of the Lusitanian distraction to invade again.
Guess I need to finish of the Lustanians next year then march east again.
loki100
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by loki100 »

Geffalrus wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:00 pm ....

The place that generated 8 million forum posts.
20190910163734_1.jpg

but, but, you didn't mention the Pictish peace keeping force just off shore?
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

loki100 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:15 pm but, but, you didn't mention the Pictish peace keeping force just off shore?
I did, but much like the force itself, my words were too small to be seen by the naked eye. :wink:
jimwinsor
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by jimwinsor »

Geffalrus wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:00 pm The Indus is back in Macedonian hands, just as Alexander intended. It takes quite a while for the sun to set on the Seleucid Empire.......
20190910163713_1.jpg
The SEL-SAK border is in a pretty good place, IMO, right on the edge of the dreaded steppes. The only thing that remains to be seen is whether I can create Bactria province. I need to take the remaining 2 BAC regions, but unfortunately the respawned capital at Hindu Kusch will be a tough nut to crack (Alpine defended by Palace Guards).
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
pnoff

Post by pnoff »

Geffalrus wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:00 pm
Thanks, Geffalrus!

Only turn 34 :shock:
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

pnoff wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:21 am
Geffalrus wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:00 pm
Thanks, Geffalrus!

Only turn 34 :shock:
Geffalrus likes his Antigonids to peak early :D

What is really interesting however is the dynamic between the Seleucids and the Antigonids..........given both want to win how long will they continue with their alliance of convenience........?
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

I'll give it to Geffalrus though- he really is quite a good player! Apart from his large empire, there are some other things to note from his screenshots:
- 1 naval ship in each of the big sea regions to scout all surrounding waters for seaborne invasions. He needs to replace that every other turn or so due to lack of supply, so lots of micro-management. Great idea though! He cannot be surprised at all by the other pesky players. I'll use this tactic as Egypt now.
- Capital region is protected by an army in case of a sea landing, which is a big threat for Antigonids usually. Also it could be sent by sea quickly in case of emergencies.
- Rest of army positioned to be able to support bordering regions where wars could happen. For example, he has an army on the east side of his empire where it would take 5 turns or more to reach due to having to get there on foot.
- Fantastic economy able to support much larger army than he fields, which means he can muster a lot of troops very quickly.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Indeed so....sadly true :D
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Oh I forgot one more thing:

- 1 unit in garrison behind walls (probably with attached defensive general) of border regions to increase the odds of garrison troops winning battle during sudden invasions. Even a 0-1 general increases the average rolled value of all units by approximately 2 (if you do the calculation).
pnoff

Post by pnoff »

13obo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:36 am Oh I forgot one more thing:

- 1 unit in garrison behind walls (probably with attached defensive general) of border regions to increase the odds of garrison troops winning battle during sudden invasions. Even a 0-1 general increases the average rolled value of all units by approximately 2 (if you do the calculation).
+ if you hire new troops they will go to garrison instead of getting picked off
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Ah, I did not know that either! That's probably the best tip then. In this way, you have 1 turn to muster extra units if an enemy declares war on you. The new units spawn before the turn resolution happens so on the next turn that the enemy moves, you'll have bolstered defences.
ledo
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by ledo »

That's really interesting. I was really wondering whether the lower tier walls were worthwhile considering how easy it is to assault because the defenders don't get a general. I was going to check if there was some way to fix that, but that is clever solution. I will start doing that.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

Since I realise you all want to know, heres the situation in Britain. The anglo-pictish alliance are about to remove all other influences before settling down to the inevitable centuries of peace ...
map.jpg
map.jpg (107.01 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

The world trembles in awe and fear of the potential Pictish domination that soon awaits everyone!
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

pnoff wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:43 am + if you hire new troops they will go to garrison instead of getting picked off
In the case of regions not in a province. I believe that in a completed Province region, they still go to the capital region. So in Asia minor, this is not quite as effective........but in Athens, Euboea, and Rhodes, all of which are rich non-Province regions, recruited troops will definitely go behind the walls.

The units in most of these cases are super cheap skirmishers, usually about two of them. Crucial regions like Macedon and Cyprus get a pair of Heavy Infantry as well. The skirmishers provide better support than Urban militia, and they have a siege resist value. Against a truly massive army or one perfectly designed for city taking, this won't do that much. But it's cheap enough to raise the bar for conquering the region just a bit.

One other bonus is that the garrison allows you to see armies in neighboring regions. This is why Jimwinsor and I always, always have light cavalry along our shared borders when we're not allied. For big borders, that's more efficient. But never discount the utility of cheap units watching your borders. You can still be surprised by armies with roads and/or generals with movement boosts that can strike from two regions away.........but that's more difficult to pull off.

One thing for Pocus..........sieges feel a bit too vulnerable to assaults. Even with palace guards, though they do make things much more difficult. I've generally stopped waiting for sieges and focus on assaults instead. Maybe if assaults could only happen once a breach was made? There's also the issue of frontage in the assault where urban militia get in the way of better support/ranged units (catapults). So a large garrison is sometimes counter productive.

I've talked with devoncop a bit about this, and maybe a way to get around this would be to add a menu section in a region where you can spend money directly on your existing garrison units to upgrade their capabilities. Rather than buying extra units and having them fight with urban militia for frontage, you could spend that money/manpower/equipment directly on the urban militia to give them extra support, or ranged damage, or combat power. Just think of the customization. Maybe even have it tied to the fortification buildings so that you'd have a reason to invest in those buildings.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”