Eastern Han Chinese

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Eastern Han Chinese

Post by dave_r »

As part of the special campaign sections the army list states "Only if campaigning in the steppe - All terrain choices are replaced with "Steppe""

Presumably this is for both attacker and defender as it states All. Therefore if you defend or invade against this army the only terrain option is steppe.

Is that correct?
Evaluator of Supremacy
davidandlynda
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: Eastern Han Chinese

Post by davidandlynda »

I would argue it applies to the Han only, if they are invading surely they would be in the defenders terrain
davidandlynda

Post by davidandlynda »

I would argue it applies to the Han only, if they are invading surely they would be in the defenders terrain or maybe they should be forced to attack only armies that have steppe
David
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

I will agree with David
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

davidandlynda wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:57 pm I would argue it applies to the Han only, if they are invading surely they would be in the defenders terrain or maybe they should be forced to attack only armies that have steppe
David
How would you argue that when it states all terrain choices are replaced by Steppe? Doesn't state the Han only terrain choices are replaced by Steppe?

Phil agreed with me as well, although that's not a great marke for being correct...
Evaluator of Supremacy
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

I took a Jeremy Corbyn position, I agree with both and neither of you, and nobody should invade anybody
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
Caliph
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Caliph »

Surely the terrain choices for a specific army as listed in the book, apply only to that army. So when it states all terrain choices are replaced by steppe it is only referring to the other choices available on the Han list.
petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by petedalby »

FWIW I agree with Messrs Fairhurst & Espie.

If my Alex Mac army invades the E Han with their Steppe list then I know I have to choose Steppe if I win initiative. But if the E Han invade Macedonia they don't get to bring the Steppe with them. If they win initiative they can choose from Agricultural or Developed the same as everyone else.
Pete
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

But the specific army is "campaigning on the steppe", meaning they did bring the steppe with them?
Evaluator of Supremacy
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

I don't think so.

All terrain choices are replaced with Steppe refers to all 4 of the choices for the list. If you want a definitive answer I suggest you email that nice Mr Shaw.
Pete
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

You have inferred that it only relates to the eastern Han, but that's not what it actually states.
Evaluator of Supremacy
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

FWIW the note is quite clear. All terrain choices are replaced. It may be an error but that is what It says
phil
terrys
Panzer Corps Team
Panzer Corps Team

Post by terrys »

I will agree with David
Not often the best thing to do.
If my Alex Mac army invades the E Han with their Steppe list then I know I have to choose Steppe if I win initiative. But if the E Han invade Macedonia they don't get to bring the Steppe with them. If they win initiative they can choose from Agricultural or Developed the same as everyone else.
This is the correct interpretation.
The region of 'Steppe' concerned is inside China - not somewhere that they invaded. The army was specifically put together to operate in this area, and an army operating in a different non-steppe region would not have this composition.
When the entry states "All terrain choices are replaced with Steppe" it only applies to the terrain choices in this list - not for the terrain choices in other lists.
It's historical enemies (other than civil wars) would be the "Early Eastern Steppe Horse Cultures", which only has "Steppe" as its terrain choice as well.
terrys
Panzer Corps Team
Panzer Corps Team

Post by terrys »

I will agree with David
Not often the best thing to do.
This is the correct interpretation.
The region of 'Steppe' concerned is inside China - not somewhere that they invaded. The army was specifically put together to operate in this area, and an army operating in a different non-steppe region would not have this composition.
When the entry states "All terrain choices are replaced with Steppe" it only applies to the terrain choices in this list - not for the terrain choices in other lists.
It's historical enemies (other than civil wars) would be the "Early Eastern Steppe Horse Cultures", which only has "Steppe" as its terrain choice as well.
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

So why doesn't the army have steppe as a choice if steppe is where it fought within its own borders sometimes
phil
terrys
Panzer Corps Team
Panzer Corps Team

Post by terrys »

So why doesn't the army have steppe as a choice if steppe is where it fought within its own borders sometimes
That would have meant entering date and army specific instruction on the terrain entry. It was easier to do it this way.
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

Lazy then
phil

Return to “Rules Questions”