Panzer Corps 2 - Progress Update & AAR

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Panzer Corps 2 - Progress Update & AAR

Post by AlbertoC »

It’s been a while since we last spoke about Panzer Corps 2, so we’d like to give you an update on how the game’s development is progressing. We know you are starved for news and can’t wait to hear when the game will be coming out.

Panzer Corps 2 won’t be ready to release before the end of 2019. We are not far away now: the single player campaign has been completed, as are almost all of the in-game assets. We are currently in the testing and balancing stage.

It is going to be a huge game, with over 1000 different units, over 60 scenarios in the single player campaign, a Skirmish mode with randomly generated maps, additional gameplay modes like the tactical challenges and a full-fledged Scenario Editor.

As you can imagine, it is quite a task to make sure that everything is at full strength. Panzer Corps is our passion and our pride: given a choice between releasing the game early or spending a few more months polishing everything up, we chose the latter option.

We want to make Panzer Corps 2 the king of wargames, and to do so we needed a bit more time. We promise the wait will be worth it!

In the meantime, we wanted to give you a sneak peek of what the game will be played like. Kerensky, a very familiar name in the Panzer Corps community, has been testing the latest beta version, and he wrote an AAR for it.

We hope you’ll enjoy it! You can read it in the next post.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Progress Update & AAR

Post by AlbertoC »

Historical Setting

As a quick primer on history, the year is 1940. The Germans have carved up Poland with their very temporary friend, the USSR. Now they've set their sights on their old enemy in France. But in January, something known as the Mechelen incident happened, and the German plans to invade the Low Countries fell into Allied hands. Perhaps as a result of this, a new German plan had to be drafted: a daring Panzer attack through the dense Ardennes Forest. But to properly snare French reinforcements and the British Expeditionary Force in Belgium with this daring attack, they had to be baited.

Enter the revised Manstein Plan for Fall Gelb (Case Yellow). Turning the original plan into a diversion to lure out dozens of Allied Divisions and trap them in the Low Countries.
In the Panzer Corps 2 mission Belgium, you have chosen to take direct command the forces leading this diversionary strike. Check out this quick preview of Panzer Corps 2's new and improved briefing and map marker system!

CORE Set Up and Briefing

So to take on this scenario, I've decided to make a highly unusual CORE force. Because of the flexibility of the game and the units at play, I'm going for a something no one has ever done, to prove it can be done. I have a CORE with absolutely zero aircraft. Not a single Bf 109 nor Ju-87 Stuka!
In fact, due to some special Commander traits chosen at the start of my campaign, this isn't just an arbitrary and self enforced rule. I literally cannot upgrade or buy any aircraft in this campaign playthrough!

My army, as I've decided to set it up, is as follows:
OS means Overstrength, and in this game, the base strength of all infantry is 15, while all other units such as tanks and artillery are base 10 strength units.
1x Grenadier infantry OS 20 with attached halftrack transports.
2x Wehrmacht standard infantry OS 17 with no transports.
1x Bridge engineer infantry, with transport.
2x 10.5cm artillery pieces OS 11, with transports.
1x Sturmpanzer artillery piece
1x Panzer 38(t) OS 12.
1x Panzer IIIF OS 12.
1x Panzer Flammpanzer II (prototype)
2x SdKfz 232 8Rad Recon OS 13.
1x SdKfz 10/4 Anti-Aircraft halftracks OS 11.
1x SdKfz 7/1 Anti-Aircraft halftrack OS 13.
1x 8.8cm FlaK 36 with transport OS 12
As you can see, without the ability to purchasing any aircraft at all, I've instead got a significant ground force with AA halftracks to protect them from Allied aircraft. At least, that's the plan!

Execution

So I had never played this map before, so I was going in blind and having to play this legitimately as any player would: without advance knowledge. I did read the briefing, and its warning me about having to perform a direct frontal assault against prepared Allied positions...
But you know what, I scouted this river crossing with only a few defenders, and I like what it's showing me. Right away as I marshal my forces for the crossing, some Allied aircraft are trying to disrupt me, so I give them a good blast from one of my air defense units.

What happens if, instead of splitting my force and trying to engage the Allied across the front... what if I just said no. I have an all ground force, I don't need to secure airfields for my bombers. I can keep all my forces together in a concentrated force... I think I've heard of that concept before, I think it's called blitzkrieg!

So that's what I did, I used scout cars to find the weakest point in the Allied line, and then sent my entire army through it. Note how on the minimap you can see I'm totally ignoring the southern half of the map and just concentrated all my forces here.

First few turns, Allied aircraft are harassing my advance, but it's nothing my AA halftracks can't handle, and pretty soon the Allied aircraft are being chopped up nicely, their threat diminishing quite rapidly.
I did run into this dirty little ambush... but hey that's what my recon vanguard is for. So my expensive artillery transports don't get ambushed like this!

But it's nothing my Panzer III and prototype Flammpanzer II can't handle.

By turn 4, (yup turn 4) I've basically crossed the length of the whole map! With this huge concentration of force... anywhere I hit instantly crumbles. I punch right through the top left Victory Hex at Antwerp with a triple barrage of artillery and my lead 20 OS Grenadier.

So now I have my entire army behind the enemy's defensive lines. Once again my Bridge Engineer is doing work, giving me a fast cross south across one of the many rivers of the Low Countries. And I use it to completely overrun the defense of Brussels from the rear!

And I'm thinking, I can't believe this is working. Actual blitzkrieg. Ball up all my forces together, crash them into the thinnest, weakest point I can find in the Allied line, and breakthrough to their rear. Now every defensive river line is a working in my favor instead of against me, because I'm coming at the Allies from behind instead of head on.

Getting overconfident, I start to split my force to strike multiple Allied cities simultaneously...

But remember the whole historical point of this operation, to lure the French into the region? So after a few turns of wrecking utter havoc, I run into a French tank. And then two French tanks. And then FIVE French tanks. There is a whole squadron of French tanks around Charleroi, and I've blundered right into them.

And this is just disastrous, utter disaster. My light mobile force is massively lacking in Panzers, has no anti-tank guns of any sort, and completely devoid of Stuka air support... And there's a Char B staring me down and there's literally no gun in my army big enough to punch through its armor...

Just like the stories I've read of light Panzers in history coming across heavier Allied tanks, I found myself in their shoes. My little Pz 38(t) rounds are just bouncing off the French tanks like it's nothing. It's poor 37mm gun just can't get the job done. And I've only got a single Panzer IIIF, and he's got his hands full tussling with other French light tanks and a Somua S35.

So... as a desperate measure, I mode swap all of my AA halftracks and 88mm FlaK and order them to bring their guns down. Engage anti-tank swap mode, everyone!

While my trio of overworked Panzers and AA turned emergency AT Halftracks try and deal with the French tanks, my infantry and artillery are mopping up Victory Hexes without breaking a sweat. Who cares about Eban Emael defending the banks of the Meuse River when I can just take Liege completely from behind?

After a few bloody and desperate turns, I've cleared out all the light French tanks. But that Char B is still fighting. Almost nothing I have can even come close to damaging it's thick armor, only my painfully slow towed 88mm can hurt it. It's kind of embarrassing...

So like the Panzers of history, I do the only thing I can do. Outflank and neutralize. I pin down the Char B with my recon cars and AD halftracks, taking some major losses in the process though. Note my two units down to 5 and 6 strength. But it lets the bulk of my forces give the French behemoth a wide berth and I can now send my infantry and artillery to crush the last of the Allied victory hexes.

But before the final victory hex falls, my 88mm pummels that obstinate Char B to scrap!

And what an incredible battle it was. I looked at the map, looked at my unit options, and came up with my own way to play it out. And when my force was lacking in power, I made up for it with tactics and maneuver rather than just killing enemy in sight.

It's probably not so ironic that real blitzkrieg tactics worked in a WW2 German game, but somehow it's extremely satisfying at the same time.

Of course next scenario... I bought two brand new freshly overstrengthed PanzerJager IBs to deal with heavier Allied armor, and I'm glad I did because there are British Matilda IIs coming up! But that's a story for another time.

Hope you enjoyed this exciting and extremely fun AAR, and look forward to getting your own hands on Panzer Corps 2 and experiencing the game for yourself. What unusual strategies will you come up with?
GamerLord
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by GamerLord »

Hi AlbertoC,

Thanks for putting in this updated game play for Panzer Corps 2. It looks totally awesome and the maps and the units are really beautiful to look at. Your unusual tactics worked great and it shows me their are a lot of different ways to attack and slice up the enemy. You done a great job showing off the game.

I hope you put in more future updates like this. I can't wait to play this game.

Cheers!

Steve
Belgarath345
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Belgarath345 »

Well this sounds really promissing so far. Really looking forward to trying it out myself. And 60 missions sounds awesome - almost like the grand campaign which was great in pc 1🤗
Thank you Karensky for the detailed action report. Cant see myself playing without air support I like air combat to much but really interesting how you can choose your commanders pros and cons like that😁

One question if you are allowed to answer. Do the campaign begin in 1940 or are there polish senarios and norway as well? Have always liked the early senarios the most😊
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Belgarath345 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:03 pm One question if you are allowed to answer. Do the campaign begin in 1940 or are there polish senarios and norway as well? Have always liked the early senarios the most😊
The first missions of the single player campaign cover the invasion of Poland. Then you move on to Norway.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

GamerLord wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:02 pm Hi AlbertoC,

Thanks for putting in this updated game play for Panzer Corps 2. It looks totally awesome and the maps and the units are really beautiful to look at. Your unusual tactics worked great and it shows me their are a lot of different ways to attack and slice up the enemy. You done a great job showing off the game.

I hope you put in more future updates like this. I can't wait to play this game.

Cheers!

Steve
Hi Steve,

Thank you, but all the credits for the tactics need to go to Kerensky ;)

I am merely the messenger here!
Sourdust
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Sourdust »

Thanks for posting that, looking good!

I do hope devs will have a professional writer go over all the in-game text. That scenario briefing is a train wreck, in terms of style and grammar ...
brijon
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by brijon »

i hope the will have modding too! so maybe different eras of war like union corps or modern corps lol also thank you for all the hard work from a big fan
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

The game is looking awesome and extremely modern. If original Panzer General/Panzer Corps is original X-Com, Panzer Corps 2 is definitely X-Com EU/X-Com 2. :mrgreen:
The tank turrets actually rotate to fire, it's crazy levels of detail for a turn base strategy game! :shock:

But me, I'm all about that sweet, sweet gameplay. From what I've seen that has definitely not been sacrificed on the altar of 'looking cool' so I wanted to demonstrate that here. Hope everyone enjoys the preview, and have a happy 'Tanks'giving. :wink:
GamerLord

Post by GamerLord »

Hey AlbertoC,

Whoops! I'm sorry I gave you all the credit for the tactics shown. I got so excited to see some new game play for Panzer Corps 2 that I really didn't pay any attention to who was actually playing the game.

Thanks for letting me know that some one named Kerensky done all the tactics in the latest beta version. He does a great job of explaining and showing some great game play. He is so lucky to be able to play the beta version right now. Lucky him!

I hope we will be able to see more game play from different scenarios from the main single player campaign. The single player campaign is what I'm looking forward to playing the most and it will probably be my main cup of tea when I start playing the game.

Cheers!

Steve

P.S. AlbertoC I almost forgot to tell you that you make a great messenger. Keep up the good work. Cheers!
paxuni
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by paxuni »

thanks for the update

waiting patiently for this jewel
GUNDOBALDO08
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 »

Wow, sounds good! Only I noticed units proportion is stil wrong: char B1 is smaller than Renault/hotchkiss
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

Yes!...a 'Tremendous' effort gone well for 'PzC2'. I agree with the previous comment's given.
However, I have some minor peeve's to put forward...even though I almost would rather not.

First...I find that the 'Color' of the terrain (Eg: Grass Ground Surface) to be too glaringly brilliantly colored...too bright/intense...I would like a color-adjuster included in the 'Game'... to be able to fine-tune these aspect's,...if that were at all possible.

Secondly, I'm glad to see that the 'Shadowing-Aspect' for 'Units' has been corrected...from being 'Intensely-Black' to 'Light-Grey'...so that one can now clearly distinguish the individual unit as a separate distinct entity from the shadow itself.

Thirdly...to me anyway...the 'Units' in the 'Game' seem to be too-much on the 'Darkish' end of the spectrum, so much so that it is more difficult to make out the fine details of the 'Units' being displayed on the game mapl Maybe, this color-adjuster could also incorporate some additional tools, such as being able to lighten up the darkened coloration/intensity of these displayed units to enhance their view-ability?.

Other-Wise!,... a 'Magnificent-Effort'!.
brijon

Post by brijon »

are there any ssi panzer generals former workers working on panzer corps?
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

brijon wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:21 am are there any ssi panzer generals former workers working on panzer corps?
Ehh... no former SSI workers which I'm aware of. But maybe they are working in disguise. :)
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

[Beta discussion inside beta forum please!

I've moved some posts there if you're wondering where you post has gone]
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

Kerensky wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:56 pmBut me, I'm all about that sweet, sweet gameplay. From what I've seen that has definitely not been sacrificed on the altar of 'looking cool' so I wanted to demonstrate that here.
But you didn't actually use any new gameplay mechanics. Did you exploit supply lines? Split units? Take advantage of AT supporting fire?
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

proline wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:32 am But you didn't actually use any new gameplay mechanics. Did you exploit supply lines? Split units? Take advantage of AT supporting fire?
I did, I'm surprised you weren't able to detect them in fact. :wink:

Short answer:
Yes. No. Yes.

Long answer:
I trapped and supply drained the Char B, which is why it has the encirclement marker on it in several screenshots, and is fully suffering from suppression and reduced ammunition totals in the final screenshot.
So like the Panzers of history, I do the only thing I can do. Outflank and neutralize. I pin down the Char B with my recon cars and AD halftracks, taking some major losses in the process though. Note my two units down to 5 and 6 strength.
I did not split units ever, because I maxed out my CORE size at 55/55. Doesn't mean it's not useful, just means I didn't do it in this particular battle. This particular engagement wasn't one of large scale encirclements, it was direct blitzkrieg aimed at very weak points in the enemy line.

And taking advantage of support AT fire, well I had no dedicated AT units. But when my AD units switch to AT, they do indeed provide AT support fire. It helped deal with some of the lighter French tanks, but their light AD guns have absolutely no effect on the Char B. :D
It's just hard to demonstrate in still screenshots, because support AT fire happens on the enemy turn.
proline

Post by proline »

Kerensky wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:02 amI did not split units ever, because I maxed out my CORE size at 55/55.
Interesting. I wonder if unit splitting is going to be one of those cool ideas that gets nerfed to the point of being basically useless except in one or two scenarios designed specifically for it. Like bridging engineers, rail, or recon move in PzC. Like why should splitting a 10 strength unit into two 5 strength ones take up extra unit slots other than to make the ability rather useless?

Return to “News & Announcements”