Question

Polaris Sector is a sci-fi 4X game that offers exciting exploration, detailed resource management, unique research mechanics and intense tactical combat.
Chris0War
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Question

Post by Chris0War »

The galaxy seems to be mine!
PolarisSector_2019_12_14_21_24_35_452.jpg
PolarisSector_2019_12_14_21_24_35_452.jpg (87.7 KiB) Viewed 3413 times
there are some unanswered questions such as:
how did those neighbors manage to develop cruisers that fast with the little territory they have in possesion?
granted, my start was to be called anything but unoptimized…
100 points solely in automation? before spreading your points into other territories,
reduced the fundamental research from the start?

i'm not sure and i'm not even sure if this game is the game where i should find this out?

What are the recommendations you say? i don't have that much time on my hands

play this one through or start a medium or hard game since that will be more clear ?
W8taminute
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Question

Post by W8taminute »

Based on your screenshot above it would appear that the ai neighbors don't have much territory in their empires but be aware that they could have more that you're not seeing at this time. You will need to send exploration ships to all of the stars to find out if they are owned by anyone or not.

The ai is very efficient on getting certain techs quickly and before you do but do not fear. In my experience playing the game they may have larger ships than you do but if you have the better weapons technology you will win the battles.
Darvin3
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Darvin3 »

Chris 'o war wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:29 pm how did those neighbors manage to develop cruisers that fast with the little territory they have in possesion?
The Erians and Vagalar begin with the Cruiser tech unlocked as one of their racial advantages. However, this is counterbalanced by the fact that they have below-average ship designs.
Chris 'o war wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:29 pm i'm not sure and i'm not even sure if this game is the game where i should find this out?
I'd say play it out. You definitely want to get as much experience
Chris 'o war wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:29 pm play this one through or start a medium or hard game since that will be more clear ?
Be very careful about the jump from medium to challenge difficulty! The difficulty difference is absolutely astronomical. All your resource income (including food) is halved, while all the AI resource income is doubled. I strongly recommend maxing out the food consumption bonus at the racial customization menu, as acclimating the lower food output takes a lot of getting use to.
Chris0War
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Chris0War »

it should be all about calculation right?
1 Ocean planet supports x amount of production research mining worlds
Chris0War
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Chris0War »

Thanks for the heads up though,

medium is my aim, to be frank. Already deleted the old game but did not start on a new one yet.
Darvin3
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Darvin3 »

Chris 'o war wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:18 pm it should be all about calculation right?
1 Ocean planet supports x amount of production research mining worlds
That's the idea, you want to use ocean planets to feed the population on other planet types. Occasionally you will get an ocean planet that's good for science, but most of the time their bonus multipliers make them ideal agricultural worlds.

Speaking of ocean worlds, on challenge difficulty you do not begin with the ability to colonize them or build marine farms, and need to research both those techs separately. They're pretty early on the tech tree, but it's just another thing on the list of stuff you need to priority research.
Chris 'o war wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:18 pm medium is my aim, to be frank. Already deleted the old game but did not start on a new one yet.
I would recommend avoiding humans until you get more experience. They do have a great economic tech tree due to getting atmospheric domes (all types) and advanced colonization modules earlier than other races, but on the military side they're a disaster. That super-weak Corvette is the biggest problem, but they also have problems with having delayed weapon and generator techs.

I would recommend the Magellans for a beginner, as they are very well balanced and powerful with no downsides.
Chris0War
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Chris0War »

Never imagined the races to be so different from each other, maybe i'll take you up for that suggestion… on the other hand it couldn't be as bad as meeting the drenghi on turn 5 right? Not that i ever managed to survive that specific encounter before!
Darvin3
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Darvin3 »

Chris 'o war wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:42 pm Never imagined the races to be so different from each other, maybe i'll take you up for that suggestion… on the other hand it couldn't be as bad as meeting the drenghi on turn 5 right? Not that i ever managed to survive that specific encounter before!
Each race has completely unique ship designs, and has a different tech tree that give them access to different kinds of weapons and ship upgrades. The reason I suggested Magellans is because the few weak spots they do have (for instance, a bad Interceptor) are completely negated by their amazing strengths (in this case, their superb Fighter and Heavy Fighter). As a result I find them really smooth to play whereas other factions I feel like I'm always working around their weaknesses. The closest thing to playing Magellans is late-game Logans, which are pretty insane, but they're very restrictive in the early-game since until they get to destroyers and the baryon gun their frigate and corvette are kinda bad so you have to rely totally on fighters and carriers.
Darvin3
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Darvin3 »

Chris 'o war wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:42 pm Never imagined the races to be so different from each other, maybe i'll take you up for that suggestion… on the other hand it couldn't be as bad as meeting the drenghi on turn 5 right? Not that i ever managed to survive that specific encounter before!
Each race has completely unique ship designs, and has a different tech tree that give them access to different kinds of weapons and ship upgrades. The reason I suggested Magellans is because the few weak spots they do have (for instance, a bad Interceptor) are completely negated by their amazing strengths (in this case, their superb Fighter and Heavy Fighter). As a result I find them really smooth to play whereas other factions I feel like I'm always working around their weaknesses. The closest thing to playing Magellans is late-game Logans, which are pretty insane, but they're very restrictive in the early-game since until they get to destroyers and the baryon gun their frigate and corvette are kinda bad so you have to rely totally on fighters and carriers.

Return to “Polaris Sector”