Grognerd's Guide is FINISHED!

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

jimwinsor
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Grognerd's Guide is FINISHED!

Post by jimwinsor »

As many of you know, I wrote a mostly complete Steam Guide for Field of Glory: Empires, under my stream name of Grognerd. And I made a vow to myself that I would fully finish the Guide before the year was out. And I kept that vow ... with 6 hours to spare!

The now fully complete Grognerd's Guide to Structures, Trade Goods, and the Economy can be viewed here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1796786043

All of the buildable structures in the game are now listed there, as well as the interactions of all 51 Trade Goods. So, this is now DONE ... until Pocus issues an expansion and/or major patch! :mrgreen: Enjoy everyone, and Happy New Year!
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
Seamus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Grognerd's Guide is FINISHED!

Post by Seamus »

Nice! :)
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

thanks for the work and share
Seamus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Seamus »

Question about Sulfur.
Campania has it as a "Natural Resource." There seems to be no "mine" which "produces" it. Rather, in skimming your steam guide, I see a "Sulfur Emporium" which apparently is only accessible by "Decision" and requires Tier II or III commerce eligibility.

This seems to lead to the conclusion that: to exploit Campanian sulfur, build plenty of commerce buildings in Campania!? Makes sense historically if I recall.

Wonderful game full of intricacies and subtleties which have clearly been fashioned in loving care to reflect historical dynamics . . .
Jagger2002
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Jagger2002 »

Thank you! Excellent guide. I consult it on a regular basis when building.
jimwinsor

Post by jimwinsor »

Seamus wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:39 am Question about Sulfur.
Campania has it as a "Natural Resource." There seems to be no "mine" which "produces" it. Rather, in skimming your steam guide, I see a "Sulfur Emporium" which apparently is only accessible by "Decision" and requires Tier II or III commerce eligibility.

This seems to lead to the conclusion that: to exploit Campanian sulfur, build plenty of commerce buildings in Campania!? Makes sense historically if I recall.

Wonderful game full of intricacies and subtleties which have clearly been fashioned in loving care to reflect historical dynamics . . .
Sulfur right now seems to have only one use: as a bonus for the Large Quarry. So if you want value from Campanian sulfur, actually you would favor building Large Quarries in or adjacent to that region.
Will_L
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Will_L »

Thank you for the work and time you put in on this guide. :D
All the best in 2020 to you and yours!
deep42
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by deep42 »

Great guide. Thanks a lot.
And Happy New Year.
-Peter
Culthrasa
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Culthrasa »

@jimwinsor

Been using your guide a lot, thz for such an excellent tool!
I have one question.. In your guide you state that the Stable Master give +1 attack. For me it gives +1 defense. Does it depend on unittype or something?

jimwinsor

Post by jimwinsor »

Yeah that might have changed since I first wrote it. I will update, thanks!
Kriegsspieler
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Kriegsspieler »

Thanks a ton for writing up this fabulous guide. It's s must for all players like me, who by now have a measure of experience with the game but could use some useful hints and a sense of how the structures progress. It's a great contribution!

I have one quibble, and this is probably one of those things where reasonable people will agree to disagree. I was surprised to read that you are so negative on Street Parlours. They're half the cost of a Monument for half the culture output, and they earn money, which is something I always seem to need more of early in the game.

And ok, so they occupy a build slot. If the time comes when I'm really short of building sites, I can always take it down for another brothel or something . . . .
Southern Hunter
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Southern Hunter »

Thanks for this work. I find the guide helpful quite often.
Seamus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Seamus »

I have reached the conclusion (and others may disagree) that there is a certain set of buildings one will tend to want in EVERY region. My draft list:
Farm & Granary: together these account for 30 food, substantial!
Acqueduct & Sewers: I have yet to build a sewer but it must be an even better version of the "Sanitation."
City Walls & Training Ground: seems like the most basic of military infrastructure, though perhaps others should apply too. Again, I just haven't played it enough to know yet.
Infrastructure: what is best seems to vary a good bit more depending on ones provincial/national layout and resources, but at least one or two 'generic' ones like Brickworks seem appropriate.
Market: the only commerce building I can identify so far which seems to be universally a good fit. Probably others?
Preceptor House, Temple & School: decadence reduction, culture and special benefits.

Probably seems pretty obvious, but it took me 30 hours to get a sense for that :P
Any of you folks with more experience with the game have additional or alternate buildings you'd consider as your baseline "Strive to have in EVERY region" list?

The implied process of: building more Tier I buildings of an given type than you really want long-term in order to upgrade and get to build the Tier IIs that you do want and then either dismantling or keep growing pop to keep room for better newer stuff is an interesting dynamic. Good design I think. I cannot think of any preceding strategy game with this kind of build up in order to build better and then tear down as necessary scheme and it does seem to serve the game's purpose of reflecting a historical pattern of growth and challenge.
Seamus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Seamus »

jimwinsor wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:18 pm
Seamus wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:39 am Question about Sulfur.

Sulfur right now seems to have only one use: as a bonus for the Large Quarry. So if you want value from Campanian sulfur, actually you would favor building Large Quarries in or adjacent to that region.
Question about your use of the term "adjacent." Does this mean that, a quarry in a region adjacent to Campania will make use of that sulfur somehow?
The distinction between natural resources which are automatically produced and ones which need a building to make them 'marketable' remains a bit obscure.
rilos

Post by rilos »

On sidenote, any idea what is the prerequisite of 'Regional Roads' . I tend to utilize my legion in infrastructure projects, starting with public works, they can also build regional roads but I am not what the exact prerequisite.
Swuul

Post by Swuul »

Seamus wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:52 pm Question about your use of the term "adjacent." Does this mean that, a quarry in a region adjacent to Campania will make use of that sulfur somehow?
A trade good available in a region can be used for bonus purposes in adjacent regions. So if Rome controls both Latinum and Ertruria, then Latinum gets the bonuses for having Iron. Likewise, buildings in regions adjacent to Campanium can use the Sulphur bonus.

The guide is awesome btw :) I am using it as a reference guide as it is so well done and easy to read! One slight notice though, the guide mentions Roman legions can't build a Roman Camp (or Public Works etc) if the legion is moving; that is not correct (even though the tooltip in game seems to suggest that too) -> the legion *can* move and it will build the structure it was residing in at the start of the turn.
Last edited by Swuul on Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are three kinds of people, those who can count and those who can't.
Swuul

Post by Swuul »

rilos wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:15 pm On sidenote, any idea what is the prerequisite of 'Regional Roads' . I tend to utilize my legion in infrastructure projects, starting with public works, they can also build regional roads but I am not what the exact prerequisite.
I don't know, but I seem to be able to build Regional Roads after the Marian reforms, and similiarily, Paved Roads after I have Imperial Legions at use. Might be coincidence of course, but I have started to believe the military reforms are the pre-requisites.
Seamus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Seamus »

rilos wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:15 pm On sidenote, any idea what is the prerequisite of 'Regional Roads' . I tend to utilize my legion in infrastructure projects, starting with public works, they can also build regional roads but I am not what the exact prerequisite.
Pretty sure it is just Public Works and at least two additional T1 infrastructure buildings.
Swuul

Post by Swuul »

Seamus wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:45 pm Pretty sure it is just Public Works and at least two additional T1 infrastructure buildings.
That is a different thing. The question was about the ability of Roman Legions to build roads, not the ability for a region to build roads :)

In case you are not aware of what is being discussed:
A roman army with at least one Legion (not Alae, has to be Legion (any of the three variations of Legion)) has the "More" option available in the army selection screen (next to to, or in addition to the "Disband" button (depending on where the army might be residing atm)). If you click that "More" button , you will see what buildings the army can build in the current region. If there are no buildings available for the army to build, then also the "More" button isn't visible.
Culthrasa

Post by Culthrasa »

Swuul wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:17 pm
Seamus wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:45 pm Pretty sure it is just Public Works and at least two additional T1 infrastructure buildings.
That is a different thing. The question was about the ability of Roman Legions to build roads, not the ability for a region to build roads :)

In case you are not aware of what is being discussed:
A roman army with at least one Legion (not Alae, has to be Legion (any of the three variations of Legion)) has the "More" option available in the army selection screen (next to to, or in addition to the "Disband" button (depending on where the army might be residing atm)). If you click that "More" button , you will see what buildings the army can build in the current region. If there are no buildings available for the army to build, then also the "More" button isn't visible.
They are the same.. A legion may only build a tier 2 road(regional roads) or a tier 3 road(paved roads) when the region itself has it unlocked (Public works and 2 other infra for T2 road, and T2 road and 6 commerce for T3 road).

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”