Changes to Units.txt file = MOD?

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

conboy
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Changes to Units.txt file = MOD?

Post by conboy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:52 pm

I want to (eventually) distribute a campaign as a standard campaign that doesn't require a Mod. In other words, to play the campaign as intended, players just need to download the campaign and go, with no other files. To my understanding, a Mod has to be downloaded separately from a campaign.

When I modified the factions.txt file in the /Data folder to be able to fully utilize the Redusa and USARMY factions by getting rid of the NOEDITOR line, it worked fine in the Dragoon scenario that I proliferated last August. At least I think the players were able to play it with US Flag, Bluestar Flag, and Redstar Flag units showing as such.

But if I modify the UNITS.txt file in the /Data folder to make certain units available earlier, would that require a mod to be distributed with the campaign so those units show up at the appropriate time? I want certain units to start out with M3A1 Halftracks and be able to replenish them from the start if required. I have done that OK but will this require a MOD to be distributed with the campaign?

Question:
Do edits to the /Data .txt files go over with campaigns and scenarios automatically? Or does the downloading player have to download the edited .txt files along with the campaign or scenario?

If the answer is NO, what then requires a mod? Changes to the .csv files?

thanks,

curious in Dixie,

conboy

terminator
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Re: Changes to Units.txt file = MOD?

Post by terminator » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:11 pm

units.txt file ? There is a units.csv file.

GabeKnight
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by GabeKnight » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:28 pm

conboy wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:52 pm
But if I modify the UNITS.txt file in the /Data folder to make certain units available earlier, would that require a mod to be distributed with the campaign so those units show up at the appropriate time? I want certain units to start out with M3A1 Halftracks and be able to replenish them from the start if required. I have done that OK but will this require a MOD to be distributed with the campaign?

Question:
Do edits to the /Data .txt files go over with campaigns and scenarios automatically? Or does the downloading player have to download the edited .txt files along with the campaign or scenario?

If the answer is NO, what then requires a mod? Changes to the .csv files?
Basically you would have to include the changes you've made inside the units.csv file with the scen, yeah. Your changes inside the faction.txt worked, because you did not add anything new, just "unlocked" a few existing factions.

Also, every change that's possible to do with the editor alone, like using any unit with any faction or assigning any transport to any unit (in general) or using units out of their "timeframe", will stick without any mod.

Changes to the units file, like different stats, ranges, costs or whatever will need the modified file to be included with the respective scen.

conboy

Post by conboy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:10 pm

Gabe, Terminator:
Thanks for responding.

Terminator, I mis-spoke -- I modified the units.csv file, there is no "units.txt" file as you pointed out. I modified it with a text editor, which got me confused.

Gabe, All:
I understand you to say that changes in the .txt files go over automatically with the scenario but .csv file changes have to be sent over as a file with the scenario because they're a mod. Is this correct, or an oversimplification, or complete misunderstanding?

If it's the case that all .csv changes are mods requiring distribution, then the changes I made to the specializations.csv file to allow redusa and Free French to have the infantry landing craft and tank landing craft specialties must not have worked for everyone (anyone?) who downloaded the Dragoon scenario, and won't work with this division campaign thing I am working on now.

-- edit -- WAIT! -- If I modify the .csv file and apply that change to a specific scenario in the settings/specializations tab, it should work with the scenario when proliferated, right? Then I just need to make the same adjustment in all the scenarios to make it work for the campaign, correct? But the change in availability dates for units won't work because it can't go in as a specific setting in a scenario. I can deploy the units but they can't be replenished or upgraded until they comply with the units.csv file. I think I get it now -- please confirm.

thanks!

conboy

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:14 pm

conboy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:10 pm
I understand you to say that changes in the .txt files go over automatically with the scenario but .csv file changes have to be sent over as a file with the scenario because they're a mod. Is this correct, or an oversimplification, or complete misunderstanding?
A bit oversimplified. It has nothing to do if the file's .csv or .txt, rather if you add something completely new to the game or "unlock" existing features that were "hidden" (=noeditor trait) for the casual user, like you did with the "RedUSA" faction.

For example, if you would add a new "North Vietnamese" faction, then the players would also need the new "faction.txt" file to be included (= mod).
conboy wrote:
[...] the changes I made to the specializations.csv file to allow redusa and Free French to have the infantry landing craft and tank landing craft specialties must not have worked for everyone (anyone?) who downloaded the Dragoon scenario, and won't work with this division campaign thing I am working on now.

-- edit -- WAIT! -- If I modify the .csv file and apply that change to a specific scenario in the settings/specializations tab, it should work with the scenario when proliferated, right? Then I just need to make the same adjustment in all the scenarios to make it work for the campaign, correct?
Sorry, but I'm not sure about how specs are handled. Can't really say if your solution will work.
conboy wrote:
But the change in availability dates for units won't work because it can't go in as a specific setting in a scenario. I can deploy the units but they can't be replenished or upgraded until they comply with the units.csv file. I think I get it now -- please confirm.
Those units can definitely be repaired, but yeah, the player can not buy them and any "upgrade" would probably be rather a "downgrade"... :)

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:26 pm

GabeKnight wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:14 pm
conboy wrote:
[...] the changes I made to the specializations.csv file to allow redusa and Free French to have the infantry landing craft and tank landing craft specialties must not have worked for everyone (anyone?) who downloaded the Dragoon scenario, and won't work with this division campaign thing I am working on now.

-- edit -- WAIT! -- If I modify the .csv file and apply that change to a specific scenario in the settings/specializations tab, it should work with the scenario when proliferated, right? Then I just need to make the same adjustment in all the scenarios to make it work for the campaign, correct?
Sorry, but I'm not sure about how specs are handled. Can't really say if your solution will work.
But seems to be... :D

Screenshot 42.jpg
Screenshot 42.jpg (774.15 KiB) Viewed 201 times

conboy

Post by conboy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:44 pm

Thank you, Gabe, for taking the time to respond in an enlightening manner.

I think I have a better understanding of this issue now. When I am sure of this new enlightenment, I will try to put it simply for other would-be designers wishing to avoid the Mod concept.

I must say that it is good to know that my Dragoon scenario plays as intended!

conboy

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”